Closed Thread
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Aw thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    OMG that caterpillar is just GORGEOUS!!! Well done!
    Last edited by Moorish; 07-11-2007 at 21:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Heres one did for dd in July for her first birthday. I got the recipe/design from womens weekly and had so much fun making it. I changed the recipe a bit though. Instead of a sponge cake as the recipe suggested, I made a chocolate mudcake. The mudcake being more dense provided a better support for the top layer, also as mudcake keeps for longer, I was able to make it and ice it etc over a few days

Elise's Birthday Cake

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlepickle View Post
    Heres one did for dd in July for her first birthday. I got the recipe/design from womens weekly and had so much fun making it. I changed the recipe a bit though. Instead of a sponge cake as the recipe suggested, I made a chocolate mudcake. The mudcake being more dense provided a better support for the top layer, also as mudcake keeps for longer, I was able to make it and ice it etc over a few days

Elise's Birthday Cake

WOW WEE!!! That looks great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littlepickle View Post

Elise's Birthday Cake
    Thats what I'm thinking of making DD1 for her 2nd bday.. just got to pluck up the courage.. might be hard with a little bubba around as well as a toddler.. LOL...

It will either be that or something to do with Dora..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is awesome...I might give it a go too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Itts realy a lot easier than it looks. The time consuming bit is decorating, but I did the decorating over two nights while dd was in bed.
    The cake is in the latest edition of womens weekly birthday cakes.
    I bought the large skewers from a cake shop, but the horses etc were a bit harder to find. I managed to find them in the craft section in bunnings and then painted them with non toxic paint.

Here are the time saving things I did:
    1.Buy ready made icing from a cake making shop, that way all you have to do is colour it and roll it out
    2. Get the decoration bits and pieces a bit ahead of schedule, that way you can do stuff like paint the horses and wind the ribbon around the skewers whenever you have a bit of spare time
    3. Make mudcake instead of sponge cake and pop it into the freezer until you are ready to decorate

For any Brissy people, the cake decorating shop on Robinson road are great for supplies, they have everything you need for just about any cake you want to make. I went in and told them what cake I was making. They looked it up in their copy of the recipe book and got all the things I needed while I stood there looking lost

subaruforestermum is offline Love me or hate me...that's your problem only....
    Vote for veve! Cheekiest Mod!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow this thread is more popular than I ever expected, it is so great to bounce ideas off each other....and the cakes are awesome....we could all start a business together

Keep up the great talent ladies, I'm sure the time and effort put into these cakes will be appreciated when the kids see photos in the years to come, or even now if they are a bit older!!!! I know I loved all the fantastic cakes mum use to make for us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow! well done

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i just made this for my little mans first birthday party tomorrow

i think its great if i do say so myself!

i got it out of the womans weekly cake book but i changed it around alot

i made the anchor and the cannon out of icing sugar, and the 'water' is icing as well.

i think it looks great!

i dont want to cut it up!