+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default sorry for TMI..but anyone else pregnant and have genital herpes?

hi there

i'm very new to this site and found it because i need to ask a question and wanted to know if anyone had/has the same situation as me.

i'm pregnant with my first and due late december. I caught genital herpes before i met my husband and luckily he hasn't caught it yet. I know it's a very common disease but it doesn't stop you worrying.

I'm very concerned about it affecting my pregnancy and the birth. I get a break-out of the disease when i'm sick or stressed or etc and obvioulsy while i'm labour i'm going to be in pain and exhausted and etc and i dont want baby catching the disease on the way out. I'm opting for a ceasar even tho ob says it can be safe to deliver naturally....but i'm just not sure.

Is anyone else pregnant and have genital herpes? anyone given birth who has the disease? anyone know of anyone in either of these 2 situations and can tell of any stories?

All help and stories appreciated. It just sucks big time but i know it's common but i just wish it didn't happen to me because i certainly didnt deserve it.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As far as i'm aware, labour and birth don't cause a breakout, so your baby will only be affected if you happen tpo already have a breakout at the time you go into labour. In fact you will be passing some of your antibodies to the virus through to your baby through the placenta if you have an outbreak during your prenancy.

Caesareans have their own set of risks and I wouldn't jump into one just yet. You can make the call to have a caesarean if you have an outbreak in the leadup to your due date, or if you have signs of it when you go into labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ive read that if your first outbreak is during pregnancy, it can be dangerous, but if its a recurring outbreak, it is not.. still, if you wanted to be on the safe side, you would take antibiotics for it a week before your due maybe? it depends on how bad your outbreaks are too...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Antibiotics won't work, as its a virus, but you could speak to your doctor about an anti-viral to take leading up to the birth (if you don't already take one). This can lessen the chance of having a break out.

I don't have GH, but do get cold sores very often, and was very aware that if I had one when DS was born, I wouldn't be able to kiss him - in extreme cases, exposure of a NB to the herpes virus can be fatal.

If I were you, I would aim for a vaginal birth (if that is what you want) but if you happen to have a break out around your due date, then book in for a c-section.

As an asside, c-sections sometimes cop a bad rap, and I really wanted to avoid one at all costs but had to have an emergency c-section. It went perfectly and I felt great after 5 days, and totally back to normal after 3 weeks.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You usually only need a c-section if you have active herpes at the time of birth, as this can be an issue for the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I got my first outbreak at 34 weeks pregnant with DD1. It was very bad and I was admitted to hospital for 9 days.

I went into labour naturally at 39 weeks and gave birth to DD1 naturally. I'd been incredibly stressed the whole time but no outbreak.

I was told I'd only need a c-section if:
    a) the baby came within 2 weeks of that outbreak - meaning I had to get to 37 weeks to be able birth naturally
    b) had blisters present when I went into labour.

Other than that, everything was fine. And I've only actually had one outbreak since then and didn't have any at all during pregnancy with DD2.

It does suck, and I certainly didn't deserve it either but everything went fine, I just kept a look out. Try to relax and forget about it, as hard as it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for all your replies. I've read and been told that it still can be safe to deliver naturally but it still doesn't stop us worrying.
    I'm just confused and upset and wish it just didn't happen to me. i caught it about 6 years ago so it's certainly not new and i've had a couple of outbreaks but i guess i just worry about it more now cos i want this baby more than anything and i want it to be 100% safe.

rosebones thanks for telling of your experience. my blister usually only occurs after waxing and always comes in the same spot....and it's only little but it still does hurt and it still does make me worry about how i will birth this child. I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Leah I am aware this disease could be fatal for the baby. . I read a story once on a british woman who contracted herpes in her mouth soon after she had her baby and she kissed her baby and passed on the disease and the baby died. i know i dont have it in my mouth but it still makes me worried if i can kiss my baby if i've got an outbreak in my genital area. sorry, i know it's a stupid worry cos mouth and genital are opposite ends of the body....but...still....it just means the virus is active.

Thankyou again to you all for your replies and advice. much appreciated. I just need to know that people in the same situation as me have had success with natural delivery.I dont mind at all if i have a ceasar cos i'm well leaning towards it but i just need to hear of stories either way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    CHeekymonkeywanted, the oral and genital herpes viruses are different strains (Genital is HSV-2, Oral is HSV-1). It is possible to have the oral form of the virus in your genital area due to someone performing oral sex on you if they have a coldsore, but as it's not its natural environment it is not (I believe) infectious in the quite the same capacity as genital herpes in the genital area would be.

As for infecting your baby by kissing it, you can't actually catch genital herpes by kissing someone with them, unless that person also has oral herpes, so you won't infect your baby by kissing it unless of course you also have the oral form of the virus present in your saliva/mouth.