+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flinders Birth Centre, Adelaide - opinions please

Hi everyone,

Just discovered Im pregnant with number 2 and am tossing up where to give birth. I went private with baby number 1 (at Ashford) and while there was nothing wrong with my experience there (and in fact the Hilton rocked!), I have heard very good things about the Flinders Birth Centre and was wondering whether I should save some $$ and go there instead? (my first birth was also relatively simple, drug and intervention free and thinking of having same sort of birth if possible). Has anyone recently experienced the Flinders Birth Centre?

Thanking you all in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Smgp

Hi mumwithoneandabump,

Firstly congratulations on your second pregnancy! It really is true...even tho it hurts like hell we always want to go back for more they are so worth the effort and it sounds like you had an amazing natural birth the first time around, so let's hope that history repeats itself!

I haven't birthed at the birth centre at Flinders (had my first in 04 and birthed on labour ward) but I am now a midwifery student and have supported women who have birthed at Flinders and have found it to have changed dramatically since I had my first baby. My first labour was induced and basically followed the intervention path the whole way and ended up being a traumatic ventose delivery, which if I knew what I know now from my degree, then I would have definitely looked into alternative methods and less intervention.

However, I decided to go with an open mind when supporting women there and I found it to be a totally different and positive experience. Due to the introduction of the Southern Midwifery Group Practice and hospital upgrades, the hospital is alot more woman centred and I guess more intune with what women want. Midwife-led care is fantastic and provides continuity, which I feel is so important in establishing as having the same support person throughout the pregnancy is very empowering and secure. Lots of my fellow mid students have had wonderful, positive moments with women who have birthed in the SMGP program, so if you are considering it, definitely call them and put your name down as they fill very quickly. I would recommend the birth centre, rather than the labour ward in general, as there still is a tendency to intervene...but it depends on who is caring for you...doctor's tend to forget that birthing doesn't involve a time limit...

If you need any other info please PM me as I am happy to offer any support if you need it.

Good Luck and hope you find what is right for you!

Kim x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i'd recommend it.
    Last edited by MimiGrace; 25-08-2010 at 18:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your feedback jaicobaby07 and MimiGrace! I have made an appointment with the Flinders Medical Centre for early August...and I am hoping to get booked into the birth centre from there. I will keep you posted x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mumwithoneandbump, wow, we almost have the same story! I too had my first baby at Ashford and like you whilst there was nothing wrong with it, I had also heard great things about Flinders Birth Centre. So with my number 2 I elected to go to the Birth Centre....and LOVED it!! Would rate it much higher than Ashford as you have the same midwife all the way through (pre natal appointments, birth and post natal appointments), the whole midwife process, if you are after a natural birth, was much more in line with my way of thinking....and yes the Hilton rocks, but when you already have a little one at home you just want to get back as soon as possible and the rooms at the birth centre are awesome! Im now pregnant with my third and although have private health cover didn't hesitate in going back to Flinders Birth Centre. Might see you there :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine is opposite and I'm switching from flinders to ashford with terrible experience at flinders.

I wasn't in midwife program but the staff and obs/midwives were horrible. I am preg with bub two very quickly and I'm so pleased to be going ashford. (Only reason I wasn't allowed midwife care is epilepsy) sorry to hijack just wanted to give my pov if you want me to pm you I can

Idammed