+ Reply to Thread
    MissSteph is offline Proud young mother to 2 beautiful children
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 18-19 month old speech

DD will be 19 months old in less than a week and only says "mum" and "dad" and that's not everyday either. When she was 10 months old she could say a few other things like "nanna", "quack" and "og" for dog, but it only lasted for like a month. She just grunts when she wants something and points to things. Is it normal? I mean shouldn't she be saying words or at least attempting to say some things? I have read to her every single day since she was a baby, I point to things and say what they are and I also name the item she points to. She can understand what I say ie "can you please give your shoe to mummy" or "go and get your drink" and when I say "where's Shayla" or "where's Cindy" (our dogs names) she will chase whichever dog we named, so she certainly understand when we speak to her and she points to her nose, ear and belly when asked.

I've just run out of idea's and am begining to wonder if it's normal for her not to be saying words other than mum and dad? I read the information regarding Speech Development and apparently from 18-24 months should be saying 70-100 words?! I can't see DD even getting 10 words by then! The CHN said at DD's 18 month check that by 20 months she will be saying some words and begining to string them together.. Somehow I don't see that happening

I keep telling myself each child develops differently but I think speech is more important than a baby crawling at 9 months compared to 6 months, right? What should I do?

Mischief is offline Love. Dream. Laugh. The shadows simply mean the sun is shining!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    George is the same age.....

I have started to worry about it myself. He obviously hears really well, always knows what I tell him to do, or when I ask him to get something, etc.

But he says.. Mum and Dad! And thats it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DD only said a handful of words at that age - way less than the 'norm' and i was a bit worried. She understood things i said and could follow instructions well (ie if i said 'where is your nose' she would point to it and if i asked her go get something she would go get the right thing etc) she just didn't really talk.
    She is 23 months now and talks heaps - lots of words and short sentences. It happened very fast and suddenly - she would just say new words every day and it built up quickly.
    I would give it a couple months and see if things start happening - if not maybe see someone then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd is 19 months. I was a bit worried about her talking when sge was 18 months, but over the last week or 2 she's really coming along with her talking. She now says door, dog, Thomas, truck, car, nose & mouth. She hasn't said mum, nanna & dad for a while, but I know she'll say it again eventually.

She babbles all day & is quite a talkative little girl.

We can also giver her simple instructions & she'll follow them.

Mischief is offline Love. Dream. Laugh. The shadows simply mean the sun is shining!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    George just came out with DUCK! LOL So Im feeling slightly better!

Oliver couldnt be quiet at this age!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mischief, your first post sounds exactly like DD!

I've run out of things to help bring on the words.. I find myself repeating words to her in hopes she'll say them back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Samara is 18 months and the same. Im not worried yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    It seems quite a few people have the same.

Do you have an older child who talks for her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a 19 month old too.He does the whole pointing at stuff and saying uh uh uh uh!So annoying LOL,
    He can say Mum,Dad,Elmo,Meme(the cat Millie hehe)ouch,diddle,bath,ball,hot,Hi,bye,woof,car.
    uuummm I think thats it.
    But in the last couple of weeks he has started saying heaps more,and trying to string a sentence together ie Bye Mum,and the funniest- I love Diddle
    Its quite amazing how quickly they develop.So she may not be saying much now,but in a month could be saying 20 words.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She doesn't have any older sibilings.

LOL at I love diddle! I love it when kids come out with such random and funny things!

I guess I'll just keep repeating words to her and read stories and hope she'll pick up on it soon