+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How many times dyou feed your cat/Whens the best age to let them out and Desexed???

Our indoor cat is 5 months old technically hes still a kitten. Just wondering how many times do you feed you cat a day? Cena is always hungry he harldy eats his crunchies and would prefer wet food. We'd feed him 3 times a day but he still purrs constantly .. not sure if its because he knows he can have it or if its coz hes actually hungry??

Also, what is the best age to get him desexed and let him out? A couple of years ago we had 2 cats and let them out, when we moved houses one ran away and the other got hit by a car they were both 3 years old I dont want anything to happen to Cena like with our previous cats but he keeps scratching at the door wanting to go out.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We feed our cat two small meals a day and she always has a supply of dry food and water

Our cat was neutered before we bought her, but I am sure it's six months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As for desexing - ASAP. do it before kitty goes into heat, as it can be pretty distressing to watch. We didn't know what was wrong with my cat at first, she was going crazy and there were little blood drops and stuff, got her fixed and she was great after. (we no longer have her)

Feeding, we feed our cat maybe twice a day, no wet food, unless she's getting a special treat, sometimes we feed her once, because she doesn't eat them all (she needs to diet) but usually twice, because mums dogs sneak in and finish whats in her bowl.

As far as i know, purring is a sign of contentment, not hunger, so if you are feeding him because he's purring, you're probably feeding too much - as for letting him out, i'm not an outside cat person, i think cat's should be indoor IMHO because of birds, cars & other cats, but maybe get a little outdoor cathouse for him to play in to get used to it? or take him out on a leash for a bit at a time to explore? (if he lets you! haha) Are you planning on leaving him outside at nights or making indoor/outdoor?

Always remember to collar him with a bell, and a name tag, and cats need to be registered now, and make sure he's fully vaxxed for everything especially if he's going to be an outside kitty

mrse is offline Baking our first little bubba
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I feed my cats (x3) biscuits in the morning (science diet food) and at night they get human grade diced beef....and once a week I give them chicken necks to keep their teeth clean...they devour their food so nothing is left and I dont feed them as much as my cats were obese (one cat was 10kgs so had to feed him a min of food) - nothing is left when they at their dinner afterwards.

As for letting them outside all my cats are indoor cats. I dont like letting them out as I dont want any harm to them. They do have free range to the backyard but they are unable to jump the fence as we have cat proofed our fenceline.

So they are safely enclosed in our yard only so they are in harms way of cat fights/dog attacks, killing wildlife and getting hit by cars

Desexing - ASAP!!!!! Because its a male he wont go into heat like a female. (meowing/howling the place down like a female would)
    Last edited by mrse; 02-06-2010 at 11:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    - Desexing - do it now. I think you can do it from 3 months.

- Indoor/outdoor - you might find after the cat is desexed, she may be less agitated. We adopted a 10mo cat recently, and we don't let her out at all. The life of an indoor cat will be many times the life of an outdoor cat, plus they won't decimate the local wildlife population.

- Food - I'm a bit perplexed about this, and plan to ask the vet when I take the cat in shortly. We use the Hills Science Diet food, and just sort of leave it out, but I've noticed that the cat (who was really skinny when she came to us) has grown a ridiculous amount in 1 month. I think I might start following the quantity instructions on the back of the packet, giving her half in the morning and half at night or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks so much !!!i love this forum everyone is so helpful .. i think im gona have to stop the wet foods and perhaps not give it to him as much. Something about this cat i just cant say no, hes very different to our previous cats. He looks for me when im not around and very affectionate. At night hed wait for me by the bedroom door for me to call him on the bed to sleep next to me, but only with me not DH at all.. LoL. So maybe im spoiling him a little We prefer to keep him indoors and maybe let him out every now and then during the day but scared he wont come back. So for the moment hell be staying in and gona get desexed soon before the spraying starts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We feed our cats (one gets hills science diet, the other has hills prescription) twice a day. It is really important they get lots of water too.

Our cats don't get let out. They are indoor and have cat door access to a cat run. The risk of them doing harm to wildlife, fighting with other animals or being hit by a car was too high for us.

Get your cat desexed ASAP as well as all the vaccinations, worming etc and you may want to consider a microchip especially if you plan on letting your cat go outside. Both of ours are chipped just in case.

Where did you get your cat from if this hasn't been done/organised for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shh View Post
    Where did you get your cat from if this hasn't been done/organised for you?
    We got him recently from a friend of a friend. Hes been vet checked once by them when he was a month old (i think) and they gave us the Vet booklet thingy. Im not very familiar with kittens so thats why a million questions atm ... and hes a boy cat too (our last cats was older when we got them and they were both females)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have 2 cats and they are fed twice a day.

One cat is very old..he lives outside, he's got his own kennel..LOL He's only outside because that's how he was raised and to lock him up now would be cruel for him...he doesn't like kids (we got him before we had kids and before the cat curfew came into law). He gets dry bikkies for breaky and tin food at night.

Our other cat is indoor only and she's been raised on dry quality food only, no tin food, and a chicken wing or neck once per week.

As for desexing...do it NOW

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we feed ours twice a day - dry food in the morning and wet food at night (1/4 a tin each). they are both fairly.....plump.....

when i was growing up we had a tiny cat who only needed fed once a day.

if your cat is anything like my 2, it'll eat whenever you feed it so dont take it wanting food as a sign its actually hungry.

id get it desexed asap. as for letting it out, both of ours are "outdoor cats" (ie they're allowed out) but spend most of their day inside cos they're such homebodies. we've had both from kittens and both were kept inside for 8 months, then on supervised visits for a month before allowed out on their own.

they are always within calling distance and ive only had one scare thinking one had run away. long story short, he hadnt.

they're not allowed out at night - they get kept in from dusk til dawn.

if you do plan on letting them go out, aside from the standard vaccinations, make sure you ask for FIV4 (feline aids) vaccination. its not offered as a standard vaccination but if it get in a fight with another cat who has feline aids, its pretty contagious and its a fatal disease. it needs 3 visits at first then a yearly booster.

and im all for the microchipping as well.

and make sure you register him with the council - it'll be cheaper if he's micropchipped and desexed. our council charges double for a non-microchipped non-desexed cat.

enjoy him though - cats are fab