+ Reply to Thread
    DanceInTheRain is offline Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please help- is this normal? Huge blood clot after birth

Hi ladies,

I just welcomed my baby boy last night he is wonderful but I'm a bit concerned as I just passed a massive blood clot about the size of my fist. Have also been very dizzy and lightheaded. I had a middie come round to check me today before I passed the clot and at the time she felt my uterus and said everything seemed fine. I have been bleeding heavily and having after pains but nothing that seems out of the ordinary.

I'm just concerned because this clot was huge. I'd call my middie but I know she is on a special night out tonight and don't want to disturb her if I possibly can. I homebirthed, that's why I have a particular middie, I could call someone else but thought I'd check here first if any of you had this and is it normal?

Thanks,

Laura

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Laura,

I'd definately give your midwife a call, the same thing happened to me after the birth of my second son and I know how scary it is! mine turned out to be nothing to worry about, but the midwifes were very concerned when I rang and sent me straight to hospital.

I hope you get it sorted, and congratulations!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh congratulations. I passed massive clots after both bubs, it was scary, I actually thought I had passed my liver it was so big and no one ever warned me either so that made it worse. It seems normal, but you will see your midwife today and I suspect everything will be ok. Enjoy your new bubs.

Mischief is offline Love. Dream. Laugh. The shadows simply mean the sun is shining!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    I passed some pretty horrible looking clots after both boys. I wasnt warned and it scared me a heap!

Ring your midwife to check, but it sounds pretty normal. *but it always pays to be safe*

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also passed a massive clot the size of my fist after I gave birth to DS2. Scared the crap out of me. I asked a middie who checked it and she said that some of the products of conception had been retained and my body was getting rid of it (this is after I had been checked and told that everything had come out normally).

I agree with the others to call you middie to make sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi and congratulations, but am absolutely gobsmacked that you have time to even turn on the computer to type your question. Get yourself to hospital and get checked out, that's what your midwife will say, you could have retained products and can heamorrage. Sorry to scare you, but this is not something to worry about. This happened to me after my first was born and I saw the white light and the doctors brought me back, I was very very lucky to survive. Please do yourself and your family a favour and have an ultrasound to make sure there's no retained products, as well as having a big bleed you could end up with an infection that puts you in hospital for a while, which of course you don't want. Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your replies, I spoke to my middie and she said they often come out after breastfeeding and I had just fed him so that makes sense. She told me to look out for anything untoward like heavy bleeding etc but otherwise I'll get checked today. I feel ok this morning it was scary at the time though!

Thanks girls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shell I just saw your reply. Sorry you had such a scary experience I am pretty sure everything is ok in my case and the midwife will be over to check me soon. Thank you for your concern I know haemorrhaging is NOT something to be taken lightly

Oh and I'm not on a computer, the joys of having an iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Glad all is well and congrats on your new bubs! I had the same thing after my second, I remember standing up in the shower and this really weird feeling and looking down and seeing this giant clot haning about on the shower floor. All was good but it surely made my heart skip a beat at the time