+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anxiety and panic during pregnancy

Hi everyone
    I have suffered general anxiety disorder for many years and for a shorter time, panic disorder also. I am 5 weeks pregnant and petrified of these disorders overshadowing my pregnancy. I am feeling some symtoms of anxiety already and am hoping that this is normal for more people than just me (not that I would wish it on anyone). Is anxiety common out there? Any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i think if you normally get anxiety then you will get it during pregnancy as well. I don't want to scare you but it may get worse as there is so much unknown when it comes to pregnancies. My advice would be to try and remain clam and avoid avoidable situations that make you too anxious, go easy on yourself and see a psych regularly throughout.

i don't normally get anxiety but i certainly do feel it creep up during pregnancy, I'm sure you are than normal!

welcome to bubhub too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i got really bad anxiety during my 1st pregnancy and saw a counseller throughout.... I highly recommend it. im a worrier by nature but pregnancy hormones just made it ten times worse.... pm me if you want. But you'll be fine

Guest Guest
    Hi Trish10, I'm an anxiety and panic sufferer, I have been for 10 years so I know exactly how you feel.
    Pre-pregnancy it was a great fear of mine to suffer with my anxiety and of all times when my body is going through massive changes.
    When I did fall pregnant the first couple of weeks were highly anxious, it didn't help that I had 24/7 morning sickness and generally felt crap. I also mistook my first symptoms of pregnancy for anxiety, so that says alot! lol
    However 2nd trimester and 3rd I was pretty much anxiety free (for the first time in 10 years!!) And my worst fear of having a panic attack during labour never happened, i was the calmest I'd ever been which I can't explain, post partum was my calmest of all.
    The combination of natural relaxant hormones you get when pregnant helps, also the fact that as your pregnancy progresses your baby will no doubt overshadow any fears you have. You'll start to feel the baby move, look forward to the arrival, shop, speak to other mums, read books, have your appointments, everything will be baby and your natural everyday fears with anxiety don't really take over the baby takes over you know?
    So I would say don't worry too much, any anxiety you have now is normal and 1st trimester is probably the hardest because your body is changing massively and your hormones right now are very high, just relax and do what you can to not stress too much. As your pregnancy progresses you'll start to feel alot better mentally and especially physically. There is something more important and exciting happening, it's really special hun, so enjoy your pregnancy and in 9 months your beautiful arrival that will change your whole life!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks for the support

Thanks for replying to me and for your supportive words. As I am still in my first trimester we haven't told too many people and so I can't chat to my girlfriends yet. It is so conforting to hear that I am not alone. Thanks for your quick responses...they are truly appreciated.