Poll: Do you/will you go back to work after having children? (under 2 years)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I plan on returning to work when DS is 15 months old. Financially we would get by without my wage (although there wouldn't be much left over) but as much as I'd love to stay home with him I feel like I would be wasting my skills. I plan to work full time until going on leave to have baby no. 2 (whenever that will be!) and then only return part time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to say to the owner of the Poll great question. Had a look at the results so far - its' pretty close to saying that most people went back to work because of financial reasons but in saying that lots of people want to stay at home to be with kids under 2 or in some cases staying at home to continue to develop their family had one kid now looking after or working on the 2nd 3rd or 4th kid. Sure wish the govt would recognise the value of stay at home mums more & increase the benefit for all people regardless of whether your family income is this or that. We don't get much benefit because my Dh has a good income. But I know that the benefits of me staying at home will be rewarded in other ways. Just hope I can still stay at home for another 2 years until she starts prep.
    Quote Originally Posted by juf84 View Post
    I plan on returning to work when DS is 15 months old. Financially we would get by without my wage (although there wouldn't be much left over) but as much as I'd love to stay home with him I feel like I would be wasting my skills. I plan to work full time until going on leave to have baby no. 2 (whenever that will be!) and then only return part time.
    And although I sometimes feel all those skills years of uni is it wasted for me know because I'm doing other things with my skills that are useful in areas that I never thought of before I had a bub. I've started an active life in the community helping mums with questions about kids education & development, on a local FB page Springfield Lakes Mummies plus I still use my knowledge of playground equipment & have set up a FB page Springfield Region Data Base , I donate some of my time now Bub is a bit older to help fundraise for a charity ACT4kids and I just started getting involved with Tennis again since I love the sport started mums & bubs tennis club plus help out for a new charity Return Serve that's assisting refugees integrate into the community through Tennis. I'm keen to learn new skills as well like how to do glass mosaics and I want to learn to paint. Next month I plan to do some courses in helping Dyslexic kids. So I still think a stay at home mum can contribute in a work sense. Just that I contribute in a non paid kind of work. But really love staying at home watching my little girl grow up to be there for her. Just feel very blessed that I can do that financially. In a real world I'd love to be able to give every mum who wanted to stay home the chance to do that. Wouldn't that be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our family is very lucky, especially at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would like to stay at home after the baby is born, but I think I may have to work a couple days a week for financial reasons. I would much rather be home with the baby so that I can demand feed and practice attachment parenting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im a SAHM till all our kids are in school at least. Id rather sacrafice anything else we can to b able to afford to live on one wage rather than having to put our DD into childcare. Luckily we r managing well on my husbands wage and he wants me to b at home and im happy with that. Its a dream for me!!! A career really holds no interest for me

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on when you're talking about
    I haven't yet, my DS is 2, DD is 5 months... I'm intending on going back when DD is in preschool... mostly for sanity reasons by then, though I don't think my insanity will be questionable

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went back after 4mths after ds1 because I had to financially and I had 12mths off after ds2, I didn't have to financially, I wanted to because I love my work and 12mths off was long enough off for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it depends on how much you love your job. I love my two daughters more than anything, but I like to maintain a balanced life and it felt right to me to get back and do some work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    SAHM now for 3 years and I love it .Doing different stuff everyday with my kids.
    If I had to go to work it would be for money reasons .

Thanks
    Reviews
    On and off during the past 6 years i have worked mainly in hospitality and retail (evenings so DH can look after kids). For the past year I have been working either casually or on a part time contract as a Library Officer, the field I am also studying at TAFE.

With dd1 I did waitressing in the evenings when she was just under 18 mths. With Dd2 she was 10 months. All the times Ive worked since having kids has been for my own sanity. The money was a bonus!

With dd1 bedtimes were always a struggle so yes I was hanging for DH to come home and I would leave for work, hehe!

Dd2 transitioned well with daycare (once I found the best one for us) and I felt it was really meant to be for me to find my ideal job working in public libraries and Dd being so well adjusted at daycare. Also Dd1 loves her after school care provider so everyone is happy.

At one point I was adamant that I wanted a part time job 3 days a week but after afew job application disappointments I realized that maybe the universe didn't agree with my aspirations. I listened to my gut and decided to stay casual, work around my family and only make myself available 2 days a week, the most I could be a way from dd2. And I'm lucky that the locations I can work at are all close proximity to home.

I feel I have the best of both worlds and the perfect balance for my family and I.
    Last edited by danik; 14-06-2012 at 23:06.