+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

1.What wraps/blankets do you find are the best to wrap bubs in to sleep?
    Elastic type ones that stretch

2. Your best tip to settle bubs when all else has failed?
    A bouncy gym ball or singing. The dummy helped when she was newborn in her restless period. She does have an arsenic hour at 9pm and we just hold her.

3.What is your standard routine when bubs wakes up? (eg:feed then burp then change nappy etc...)
    Nappy Change, Feed then burb (doesn't eat if nappy is dirty.
    4.What age did your bub first smile at you?
    In the hospital, everyone did say it was wind. But when you talk to your child or laugh at their cute facial expressions and the baby responds back with a smile then its not wind. She started giggling at 6 weeks and the clinic nurse didnt believe me until my mum heard it. She also squealled with delight.
    5. For those bottle feeding do you prep them as needed or pre-prep? DD does hate the bottle, she looks at me and its as if what are you doing mum why aren't you giving me booby. Would be easy if she took it if I had to go out to a resturant.
    5. How long does your bubs usually sleep for between feeds?
    Now she catnaps for about 30mins. It just depends, sometimes she might sleep to the next.
    6. What product/ item you just can't live without? Desiten bottom cream as DD did have a bad nappy rash. We also changed nappies from huggies to aldi or organic ones.
    7. What washing powder/liquid do you use for baby clothes? Amolin sensitive and ecualyptus oil for softner.
    8. First mother's group experience?
    I go to playgroup, was thinking of joining a mothers group.
    9. Your favourite online store for baby stuff?
    Do not buy online
    10. What do you find is the hardest part about being a mum?
    DD recently cant handle been in her capsule for too long and she cries. I think she needs to be turned around have to wait for 2 more months. Its heartbreaking when she cries. Also getting her immunisation, feel sorry for her but it has to be done.

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Erin doesn't like being wrapped much, but as a summer baby, the light cotton ones are great! Just moving onto some from Target now, that are bigger & thicker (pack of four, bright colours)

In the shower with Dad.

3.What is your standard routine when bubs wakes up? (eg:feed then burp then change nappy etc...)
    Change, feed, play (read, tummy time etc), and sleep.

4 - 5 weeks

5. For those bottle feeding do you prep them as needed or pre-prep?
    Pre Prepared.

(Number 5 take two ). At 10 weeks she will go 4-6 hours between most feeds, sometimes more, sometimes less...

6. What product/ item you just can't live without?
    Bouncer!!! She loves the vibrations .

7. What washing powder/liquid do you use for baby clothes?
    Omo. Her clothes go in with ours.

I really didn't like it, felt really inadequate. We've had our first week as a group without the CHN & Classes, and it's much better now . We've got a good group.

We haven't purchased anything yet, but have been looking at Grobags...

The bad days, when everything seems hard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have an 18 month old boy, but I'll answer for him as a newborn

I think anything thats soft with a bit of stretch to it, stretchy is good, because it works a bit like baby cling wrap

BOOB actually, if "all else" had failed, usually I'd have tried boob about 2nd on my list... I really found singing softly if jasper was unsettled, and also accepting that Jasper was going to probably cry for 3 hours a day (he was a very unsettled bub) and so I sung songs I liked to keep ME calm, and so that calmed him down if he was overwhelmed. Also, if it was just general unsettled, not tired unsettled, I found a bath was great passtime. We used to joke in my mothers group "oh, we had three baths today" to say "omg its been a bad day"

wake at 5am, feed, play for 30 minutes and then wrap and sleep till 7ish and then boob, play, wrap, sleep... boob... play... wrap.... sleep.... and repeat until night time

we had odd little half smiles from 1 week old, if he got kissed on the cheek. people told me it was just wind, but it would be odd if he got wind ONLY when he was kissed though no real play smiles until 6-7 weeks old.

he was having feed every 2.5 hours, and then feeding for about 30 minutes (so... there would be 2 hours between where he wasnt feeding) and during the day of that time he'd probably sleep for 1 hour. At night he still feed about every 2-3 hours.

baby carrier I did have a bjorn and have since sold it and bought an ergo. ALSO when he was 4 months old until 10 months the BEST thing I bought for him toy wise was the Safety 1st Bouncy Baby Play Place... he LOVED it would bounce around in it and play with all the toys on it and have a ball while I'd go and do crazy things like shower and pee!

7. What washing powder/liquid do you use for baby clothes? I started off using a baby one, I cant remember the brand. But at some point I started throwing his clothes in with ours.

my mothers group was too big, 20 mums in the beginning, so it was a bit overwhelming really, though it quickly dropped to 15... its only just getting 'good' because we're forming relationships, because with so many people, all shell shocked with newborns, its hard to bond. Now there's only 5-6 mums who come, usually only 3-4 at a time, we still meet weekly 18 months on.

9. Your favourite online store for baby stuff? ebay

sleep deprivation. Hands down. In the early days it was anxiety. But now I'm just over being constantly CONSTANTLY unendingly tired. (not to frighten you, but my 18 month old still wakes several times a night - but then, he was never a low-maintenance baby, he was born this demanding)
    Last edited by Boobycino; 20-05-2010 at 19:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my bub is only 9wks so dont know if im qualified to answer these lol b ut thought i would give it a go anyway.

I use dymples flanelette wraps, they come bigger than most other blankets i have found

DD doesnt really get in a tizz, (touch wood LOL) but if she seems a bit unsettles a bath helps.

Change nappy (unless she's starving), feed, play, back to bed.

its hard to tell, she was smiling in the hospital but it could of been wind, she smiles all the time now, i dont remember a big distinction between wind smiles and real smiles.

I used to prepare them all and put in the fridge then warm in boiling water. Now that I have BPA free bottles, I fill them all with boiling water then sit aside, when its needed i microwave the water and then add the powder and were ready to go, much much quicker.

sometimes she doesnt, sometimes it can be 4 hours or somewhere in between.

Bouncer, Shes in it all the time. Oh and dummy chain!! it saves me from having to sterilise it every five minutes.

7. What washing powder/liquid do you use for baby clothes? Earth washing liquid and fluffy fabric softener. I also put a prewash through of dettol to make sure any little spews/ nappy leaks are well taken care of.

Havent been yet, only just got my invite but am looking foward to meeting new mums my age haha

i dont shop online... never even occured to me :P

that it iws so unrelenting. its contant and never lets up for a minute, for exaplme, not being able to shower when I want to or lay down if i have a headache unless bubs is ready to go down too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Muslin wraps are best imo, however both of my girls weren't big fans of wraps and were houdini-esque in their ability to get out of a wrap, so after a week or two I stopped using them. I used all in ones or sleeping bags or grow bags, esp in winter with both my girls, as they've never been fond of bed covers.

Booby

Nappy change, breastfeed, burp and if daytime have some 'play time' ie cuddles, talking, singing, smiles with mum and if its night, straight back to bed.

First one was around 6 weeks, 2nd was around 5 weeks

I breastfed, but did express and DH did an o/night feed on FRi and Sat nights, which I had prepared before I went to bed, so I could sleep through or until I woke up needing to feed.

5. How long does your bubs usually sleep for between feeds?Both of my girls averaged 3 to 4 hours in the early days/weeks, months (ie 3-4 mths)

My slings, they were comfortable, easy to use and it meant I could do stuff - anything from talk on the phone to hang out washing to go shopping etc. I did have 4 different types too
    7. What washing powder/liquid do you use for baby clothes?I did use Lux flakes initially with both girls, but after a couple of months used the same stuff as we use for all laundry and had no problems.

Mine was naturally formed from the baby clinic we attended post-birth at private hospital I attended, and it was a great experience especially for the first year, and I still keep in touch with most of the mums (some have moved, work etc). We had 7 members in total, 4 boys and 3 girls.

Ooh, too many, mostly eco friendly ones, lark handmade, and modern cloth nappy websites. I love natural products and also handmade.

The fact that its relentless, at times very repetitive and monotonous (the tasks of motherhood, not the people involved, as I love my family!!) and it seems like there isn't much time for rest or time 'for yourself' which I really miss and crave a lot, and I do have lots of support too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    we have a woven blanket and then a thicker quilted blanket on DS at night.
    When he was younger we'd put him in the baby bjorn and walk up and down the verandah
    during the night: feed and a quick cuddle and only change if need. in the morning: feed and change and get dressed and breaky
    if you ask my mum it would be the first day. but i seriously think it was in during the first few weeks.
    We wash all the bottles in the morning. if he's going to day care we fully prep them for him. and we always make sure there is a bottle with water in it for during the night incase we need it. but he is mainly BF.
    at the moment 3hr during the day. and he can go all night without a feed.
    wipes!!!! use them waaaay to much
    we started only washing his clothes in sensitive skin stuff, now we just stick them in with ours.
    bah never again.
    dont shop online because i want my products NOW lol
    The constant demand of my time and energy. might sound selfish i know...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    1.What wraps/blankets do you find are the best to wrap bubs in to sleep? Flannelette ones. Used them in hospital and bought some on the way home from hospital. Don't like stretchy ones, cos he can work his way out of them

2. Your best tip to settle bubs when all else has failed? Vibrating chair, bouncing on fit ball or a bottle

3.What is your standard routine when bubs wakes up? (eg:feed then burp then change nappy etc...) Feed, burp, nappy change, play/cuddle, settle and sleep

4.What age did your bub first smile at you? Still waiting for it - 16 days old today

5. For those bottle feeding do you prep them as needed or pre-prep? Pre-prep. Sterlise and fill with cooled boiled water then add formula as needed.

5. How long does your bubs usually sleep for between feeds? 2 to 3 hours.

6. What product/ item you just can't live without? Milk Bar feeding pillow.

7. What washing powder/liquid do you use for baby clothes? Can't recall the name... Some natural, gentle one.

8. First mother's group experience? Great - being in a small town, I already knew over half of the 12 mums in it!

9. Your favourite online store for baby stuff? Big W online

10. What do you find is the hardest part about being a mum? The sleep deprevation and breast feeding. Bubs refuses to breastfeed, so have to express as well as bottle feed. Very time consuming and exhausting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I use a flannel wrap and a stretch cotton wrap now that its cooler. I put a waffle blanket on top

Boob! I breastfeed to sleep if all else fails

Feed, nappy change, dress then play (this is in the morning) otherwise feed then nappy change.

Five weeks

I don't bottle feed but on the occassion I do I prep as needed.

After a feed she will play for about 1.5 hours then sleep for 1.5 hours.

My boobs! They have saved the day on so many occassions...

Regular washing powder, I just add less.

Great! It was run my our MCH nurse. After the six week sessions we all meet up on our own and have been for two months. We all get on REALLY great, I love it!

eBay!

Not having any family support. They all live interstate, so I just can't leave DD with them for a bit of "me" time whenever I please