+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 10 quick questions from a new mum

Hi everyone ,

DD is 5 weeks today and as you know it's a world of trial and error for a first timer and I thought i would post a few questions to get some other opinions. It's always interesting(and helpful) to see what others are up to?

1.What wraps/blankets do you find are the best to wrap bubs in to sleep?

2. Your best tip to settle bubs when all else has failed?

3.What is your standard routine when bubs wakes up? (eg:feed then burp then change nappy etc...)

4.What age did your bub first smile at you?

5. For those bottle feeding do you prep them as needed or pre-prep?

5. How long does your bubs usually sleep for between feeds?

6. What product/ item you just can't live without?

7. What washing powder/liquid do you use for baby clothes?

8. First mother's group experience?

9. Your favourite online store for baby stuff?

10. What do you find is the hardest part about being a mum?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I used large Muslin wraps from Big W or Target. But now its getting colder Big W has big flannellette ones

Car Ride, Bouncer, Warm bath or sleeping on my chest
    3.What is your standard routine when bubs wakes up? (eg:feed then burp then change nappy etc...)

Feed buro change little play then back to sleep (I think it feels so long ago now)
    Now she wakes plays, feeds, sleeps

Around 4-6 weeks. At around 4 weeks she looked at me and her eyes gave the impression that she wanted to smile but couldnt

Washed, steralised, filled with cooled boiled water,when need heated water in the microwave and added formula

I honestly cant remember but i think she went 2-3 hours between feeds

Bouncer

Normal washing powder but half the amount

Never had one
    BabyBeehinds (Modern Cloth nappies)

Mines a personal thing so not for everyone DD has a hearing impairment and that has been a big thing to deal with as a new mum but Im getting used to it now 6 months down the track

Congrats on being a Mummy!

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With DS1 and 2 my favourites were Pumpkin Patch wraps or muslin squares. With DS3 I discovered Miracle Blankets... pricey but brilliant!

Wrap, firm cuddle, and firm pat on the back.

3.What is your standard routine when bubs wakes up? Feed, burp, change, cuddle if tiny, play if older.

DS1, 4 weeks, DS2 6 weeks, DS3 5 weeks.

DS2 was FF. I would usually prepare a day's worth of bottles each night, complete with formula. However for going out I would take water and formula separately, that way I could heat the water before I left and keep it in an insulated bag and add the powder when he needed a feed, rather than risking on a parents room not having a microwave or a cafe refusing to heat it.

Not a good question for me just now!

A Baby Bjorn, Sudocream, a Mummy hook and 12 cloth nappies for burps and spills.

With DS1 and 2 I did all their washing separately in Softly. With DS3 I just do it all together with normal detergent.

I've never been.

******* Pronto, Babies Galore, eBay, Merino Kids.

Losing my former self to what sometimes feels like thankless drudgery. But usually feels like the most important thing I'll ever do. And car crying, I hate it with a passion.

HTH!
    Last edited by lambjam; 19-05-2010 at 18:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    1.What wraps/blankets do you find are the best to wrap bubs in to sleep? I loved the Best and less muslin Wraps they were huge and cheap and cools for hot days I also love the ones I had for DD in Melb that were made of a t-shirt type material they were wonderful and so snugly.

2. Your best tip to settle bubs when all else has failed? sitting in the bottom of the shower with warm water running over us - so relaxing

3.What is your standard routine when bubs wakes up? (eg:feed then burp then change nappy etc...) Feed burp change - but during the day I was always all chatty and happy opened the curtains etc whereas at night I kept it dark no talking no eye contact etc I really helped with settling over night and it was easier for me to get back to sleep too (compared to sitting in the light or watching TV etc at night)

4.What age did your bub first smile at you? about 5-6 weeks ish for a propper smile I think

5. For those bottle feeding do you prep them as needed or pre-prep? I BF

5. How long does your bubs usually sleep for between feeds? DD was about 4 hours on and off and DS was a bit shorter - he was a piggy and wanted feeding more often about 3 hourly ish but it got better

6. What product/ item you just can't live without? When they were tiny it ws my paly mat thing bot kids loved it! as they are getting older it would have to be the tupperware sippy cups - so god for both bub and my big girl (without the lid)

7. What washing powder/liquid do you use for baby clothes? Just the one we were using at the time I used the sensitive one at first with DD but she didn't really go through enough stuff to justify a whole load of just her stuff so I started putting her stuff in with DH and mine with no worries and DS has always just had his stuff inn with ours - if there was any skin complaints it would have been different though)

8. First mother's group experience? With DD it was a bit odd we had a very small group who were all very different - we had a very young mum and older mum one with multiples and me and I think one other - we never really clicked and it phased out after the set few weeks with the MCHN. I didn't get into one with DS as we had him in Qld and live in Darwin and I never made the effort to go to a group - sometimes wish I had but it is harder to go with an older one as well as the bub.

9. Your favourite online store for baby stuff? No fave but I did get a couple of things - a quick smart stroller and a nappy change wallet from 2 differnt places that I can't rmember

10. What do you find is the hardest part about being a mum? for me it is being alone so much - DH is Navy so we are a long way from any family and friend keep getting posted or we do

ETA - had to have a giggle we all chose purple for our answers
    Last edited by Seacretsquirrel; 19-05-2010 at 18:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    congrats on ur bubby

1.What wraps/blankets do you find are the best to wrap bubs in to sleep?Depends on the weather... there are two wraps i use. If its cold, i use a wrap i bought from big W. They come in two packs by dymples (i think) for $10 and they are cotton ones but stretchie.
    If its hot i use a muslin wrap, its bit harder to get it round your baby because its not strechie but they're nice and thin so bubs wont overheat... u can get a 3 pack of pretty ones for about $11 i think, from best n less.

2. Your best tip to settle bubs when all else has failed? My boobs LOL. My son has a swing that i was given and he loves it!! it plays music and has different speeds and it always keeps him quiet when he;s unsettled. They can be expensive but i think its worth finding one thats second hand, or buying a new one. They work a treat.
    I find going for a walk to be the best thing too. Put bubby in the pram and head out.., they love it.
    Having a bath when they're unsetted works if they like the water..
    And sometimes they just need cuddles.Some babies are more clingy than others.

But if you baby is unsettled, there's probably something wrong... is he hungry/cold/hot/thirsty/over or understimulated?? Is he feeling too out in the open and needing to be wrappped tight and cuddled? Is he over tired? Its best to work through those things first... check his temp, his nappy, burp him well if it might be wind, offer a feed, etc.

3.What is your standard routine when bubs wakes up? (eg:feed then burp then change nappy etc...) I never had a routine, but imthinking of one... my baby doesnt feed when he wakes up. I get him out of his cot and give him a cuddle, change his nappy if needed, play with him alittle bit, then put him on the floor for tummy time! He has a play matt which he loves. It also plays music and has hanging toys.
    He plays while i eat brekkie and have a cupper, and i put him in the pram with toys and take him into the bathroom while i have a shower,
    If i need to get things done i put him in the pram with toys and then wheel him round after me haha.
    Then he starts to grizzle, i feed, burp and change him if he needs it, wrap him up, rock him for a while and sing to him, then place him in his cot. he'll sleep for 40 mins and refuses to go back to sleep when he wakes... il leave him in his cot until he starts to call out to me, then i get him up and start again...
    at night time, he has a feed, bubble bath, a quick massage, dressed, quiet play or cuddles with my partner and i, then i give him a top up feed, wrap him and put him down...
    thats just the routine he worked out himself.

4.What age did your bub first smile at you? 3 weeks, but i didnt know for sure until 4 weeks (but it was def 3 weeks cause i took pics and looking back now, his smile then was the same one he has now

5. For those bottle feeding do you prep them as needed or pre-prep? i breast feed, i express when he needs it. but i have given him formula, a few times, i'd wash n steralise his bottles and then put the boiled water in. I dont put the formula in until the last minute.

5. How long does your bubs usually sleep for between feeds? early days, he slept lots. i didnt time them or anything.i didnt pay attention to the time, those early days i just let it all go naturally..

6. What product/ item you just can't live without? Ummm, his toys. And his play matt. And probably his pram.

7. What washing powder/liquid do you use for baby clothes? Old fashioned, but LUX! It keeps them so soft, cleans alright too. I use a fabric softener in the final rinse though, so that his clothes smel nice.

8. First mother's group experience? I havnt been to one yet, But i have hung out with friends with babies and its soo ncie to hang out with other mothers and their babies!! Very refreshing, de-stressing and fun

9. Your favourite online store for baby stuff? ebay, but there's also a direct factory outlet site- www.factoryfast.com.au VEry cheap stuff!!

10. What do you find is the hardest part about being a mum? Managing my time... im not very good with juggling my baby, housework, study and social interactions... I come online to study and spend most my time on facebook its terrible!!
    And those long days, when im tired from a broken nights sleep, not left the house, had an unhappy baby and home alone

Thanks
    Reviews
    i alsmot chose purple haha that would have been funny!
    Just read the other posts-i want to add that sudocream is great!!!
    and i see the best n less muslin wraps are popular too. i love them.

Thanks
    Reviews

My favourite are the target muslin wraps. Now it's getting a bit cooler though I have a few thicker cotton wraps that are a bit warmer.

A warm bath cures everything!

Feed, burp, nappy change, play, feed, sleep.

DD was prem so can't really compare - her first smile was at 2 weeks corrected age.

Breastfeeding

DD was having about 18 breastfeeds over a 24 hours period until she was about 5 months corrected. She has never been a very goood sleeper during the day, she was sleeping around 45 mins in the morning and 45 in the afternoon at 5 weeks corrected.

Fisher price rocker chair!!!!

Omo sensitive

I never got to join a mother's group - our local area couldn't figure out where to put DD because of her prematurity and by the time they got onto it, it was too late. Very annoying!

www.pramwarehouse.com.au

The monster days where everything goes wrong...had one today actually!! Everything is better the next day though.

Thanks
    Reviews

I used plain old musling wraps from Target. We swaddled until 6 months, so once DD was too big for the store bought ones; I made my own

At that age breastfeed and sling. Or a walk in the fresh air.

At 5 weeks we never had one. I did whatever she wanted whenever she wanted. From about 6 months Feed, Sleep, Play

3 weeks

I breastfed until 6 months; but switched to bottle because of new medication. I prep as needed

At 5 weeks; she was an awful sleeper (only ever in the sling). But we used to go anywhere from 1.5 -3.5 hours between feeds.

My sling; even now at 12 months it's a god send

Clothes I use Lux Flakes and Nappies I use Ecostore Powder

]Hated it

Baby Beehinds, Rufflebutts and Belly2Baby

Doing it on my own. Even though it brings a lot of joy; not having someone there to help you through the hard times it probably the toughest thing. But I wouldn't change it
    Last edited by AvasMummy09; 19-05-2010 at 19:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For Summer I preferred the muslin wraps... I bought packs from Big W. For Winter I liked the bunny rugs... either from Target or Big W!

A warm bath, clean clothes, and a snuggle on mum's chest with their ear on your chest listening to your heart! Other times it was all about the boob!

Wake up, nappy change, then depending on bubs mood it was either feed and burp or play. Sometimes they'd go to sleep after a feed and burp, other times not. None of mine were "routine" babies... they did as they wanted when they wanted :P

Mine started smiling pretty early on! About 3ish weeks!

I started off making them as I needed. ThenI used to boil the jug and make enough boiled water for the day and have it all seperated into the bottles, and have the formula all seperated into the desied scoops into a dispenser, and I'd just add the formula to the water, shake and give it to them!

Mine differed between children. I had one that was a dream sleeper... would sleep for 3-4 hours everytime.... and at the other end another who would only sleep if you held him and even then it was only for about half an hour!

Cornflour! Swear by it for nappy rash! My baby swing... my gosh it was a life saver!

I just used the same washing powder I used on all our clothes. Bub's clothes went in with ours.

Never went.

I've only ever bought MCN's off the net.... otherwise ebay for cheap stock up bargains lol.

The no time for yourself, go go go of it. The sleep deprivation and the absolutely horrible get nothing done days! But I wouldn't swap it for the world!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I cant remember the name of them they were from target in a 3pack and were cotton wraps

cuddles

It depends on the bub,sometimes ild feed then burp then feed some more then change the nappy and burp some more then stick back on for more food and burp again

8weeks

I would make all the bottles with boiled water first thing in the morning for the day and would add formula as needed

eeek i cant remember that far back sorry

7. What washing powder/liquid do you use for baby clothes? just normal OMO or radiant washing powder and fluffy fabric softner or that eco friendly brand cant remember the name is what we currently have
    and napisan
    8. First mother's group experience? great

dont have one
    having patients