+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1988 View Post
    That's great waterlily that u find my methods disgusting but this thread wasn't about what people think of what others do.

U did answer the question though- your 'nope never' was all I was after.
    I think using meds years out of their used by date IS disgusting and a disaster waiting to happen. Would you not agree with that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think best before dates are an exact science, so I will eat certain things past by the date, like tinned products. Some things I don't even really check the date (like flour and stuff I transfer to plastic containers).

With yoghurt, I will smell it first. I had some the other day that was 2 or 3 days past its date.

I imagine the companies estimate them on the conservative side, so you've probably got a reasonable grace period before they are truly bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaBear03 View Post
    I think using meds years out of their used by date IS disgusting and a disaster waiting to happen. Would you not agree with that?
    whether I agree or not is irrelevant.

I don't want this to be another thread that goes OT due to judgement.

I mean- I hate the thought of food being wasted but I wouldn't tell anyone who doesn't share my point of view that they're a waster.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaFashionista View Post
    Anything else that I don't freeze, no way. I'm especially picky with milk, I throw it out 2-3 days before it expires.
    you throw it out before it's even expired?? 2-3 days BEFORE?? what a waste! i am a little disgusted by this.. sorry... ugh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    not usually dairy products or eggs as they are usually 'use by' but anything with a 'best before' i will check to see if its ok like cooking powders(curry), sauces etc most of the time it's fine! oh and i'm the same with frozen meats OP..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Same as you OP.

I actually buy the discounted meat- the stuff from the supermarket that they need to get rid of on a Fri/sat as it's expiry date is say Sunday, and I'll freeze it.

My dad is a meat inspector for the Commonwealth, and I can't even bear to do what he recommends!
    But he knows exactly how far to push it, as he tests these things all day every day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Anything not dairy, I'll try. Anything dairy I chuck the day before the date. Not sure why, just always have. Lol.
    As for meat it's either cooked the day I buy it or frozen then cooked the day it's defrosted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Best before date is just a guess for me, i will consume after (depending on the food)
    With Use By dates i will check the food first, if its yogurts i will eat after UBD if it looks smells and tastes ok, but a week after UBD i will throw out regardless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have food issues and I will not consume things past their use by date. EVER. But each to their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im pretty much the same as you OP, except with milk.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaFashionista View Post
    Raw meat I'm the same as you OP.

Anything else that I don't freeze, no way. I'm especially picky with milk, I throw it out 2-3 days before it expires.
    Yes, I have been known to throw out milk even if it looks a bit iffy to me...I absolutely cannot stand milk when it is 'good' so old milk has me running to do this . I also cant mix cartons lol so if there is only a small amount in one carton I will throw it out and use a new one. Im the same with ham, if in doubt even a teeny bit I will chuck it.