+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Semi spin-off *do u consume products after the best before/used by date?

As the title says...

Best before- yep I do as technically it is not 'off' just would be best or taste/smell better before the date advised.

Used by- hmm depends on what it is... I'll usually give it a whiff and dip a finger in it and try it.

With either if it smells, tastes or looks remotely off I chuck it!

With raw meat- if I freeze it as soon as I get home; the day I defrost it I consider it as good as the day I bought it regardless of the used by or best before date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I'm like you. I prefer not to let things go to waste just because of a date printed on it. I'll test it and then decide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If it still smells and looks okay lol. I am a serious waste-hater we're so lucky to live in a place where we have access to so much fresh food I feel guilty when I have to throw things out.

Milk, well the other day I drank milk that was 3 days past it's use by date.. it didn't smell or have any chunks so all good

I used tomato paste last night in my lasagne that said to open and use within 7 days, it's been in the fridge for about 12 days and it was fine

We've been eating a cake that I made a week ago and just finished it last night lol. Not sure if we're meant to but boy was it yummy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Raw meat I'm the same as you OP.

Anything else that I don't freeze, no way. I'm especially picky with milk, I throw it out 2-3 days before it expires.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm funny with food. If it's cereal or something and it looks fine then yep I'll use it still. I won't do that with dairy. Our eggs don't come with a use by date, same with our fruit and veg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Speaking of milk MamaFashionista... My mum bought milk a few weeks ago... I think it was pura cafe latte or something like that and I swear it was still good like 9 days after the expiry date... I always smell milk each time I use it coming up to the used by date as I find it's one thing that doesn't always make it there and I was AMAZED!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaBear03 View Post
    I'm funny with food. If it's cereal or something and it looks fine then yep I'll use it still. I won't do that with dairy. Our eggs don't come with a use by date, same with our fruit and veg
    lol ur right.. Eggs last ages though! If we've had them a while I do the good old float or sink trick in a cup of water before I use them and fruit or veg... If they're getting soft, watery (on the outside lol) and smelly they're headed for the bin

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Nope never. DFs family use stuff years out of date including meds!!!! I think it's disgusting and a disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great waterlily that u find my methods disgusting but this thread wasn't about what people think of what others do.

U did answer the question though- your 'nope never' was all I was after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    same as you op