Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone around at all?

I hope that this thread is still active

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Munchkin19 For This Useful Post:

Mave  (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Munckin19, I am happy to come and join you here. My DH and I have recently attend both the PC and adoption info sessions. We have been ttc for the past 6 years with no luck. We are coming to the end of a long IVF journey and the plan for us is to move on to PC/adoption which I am super excited about. Most likely we won't get into the training sessions until next year because we need to wait until 6 months after ceasing fertility treatment. I am hoping to also finish off my studies this year so I can focus on the PC/adoption next year. I am 36 and hubby is 39. Best of luck for Monday - is it a PC or adoption info session?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Munchkin19 View Post
    I hope that this thread is still active
    Hi Munchkin19....
    I can read the excitement in your message... only 3 more sleeps until the official start of this journey begins for you!!
    I hope you get a lot out of the info session, & if/once you proceed to the training sessions, there's so much more to learn & gain about the process & about yourselves throughout..
    We have been to the info & training sessions for both Adoption & Permanent Care, & only last week completed our interviews with our case worker & are hoping to sit our panel interview for approval in the next couple of months.
    Throughout the process so far, we've found there can be conflicting focus between different agencies and their presentations for both the info & training sessions, so please don't hesitate to voice any questions or queries on here, & if I can, will be more than happy to provide support, give opinion & share in the ride with you, as I'm sure is the case with others active on the thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannyAnny View Post
    Hi @Munckin19, I am happy to come and join you here. My DH and I have recently attend both the PC and adoption info sessions. We have been ttc for the past 6 years with no luck. We are coming to the end of a long IVF journey and the plan for us is to move on to PC/adoption which I am super excited about. Most likely we won't get into the training sessions until next year because we need to wait until 6 months after ceasing fertility treatment. I am hoping to also finish off my studies this year so I can focus on the PC/adoption next year. I am 36 and hubby is 39. Best of luck for Monday - is it a PC or adoption info session?
    Hi ShannyAnny!
    How are you feeling about this recent 'shift' in direction?
    We also rode the IVF track for 6 years before changing paths... what a journey hey!?
    You just know when you know...
    I honestly believe we had to travel that distance to get us to where we are now, & have never felt more sure or confident that this is the right way for us!
    Sounds like you're wonderfully positive about your future plans... I'm excited for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Exie View Post
    Thank you both. By the time my partner and I are ready for a child, I'll be at a fairly functional level. The DSP would offer my partner and I financial security, but I do get why it may hinder me. I hope someone with experience of being on the DSP can let me know if they were accepted or denied. It will be very disappointing if I can't because I have a disability.
    Hi Exie!!
    I think you've gotta be in it to win it!
    No doubt you'll have some extra challenges & markers to meet by the sounds of it, but you'll never truly know where you stand or what your options are unless you look in to it further by starting the process...
    Contact your local agency & have a chat is the best start... good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks all <3

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for replying. It's amazing what a few messages from people can do to bolster your confidence and make you feel less alone!! So thanks again!

We attended the adoption information session and will be registering for the PC one tomorrow, being a PH today no departments will be open! I have to say my partner and I walked away feeling much more positive and at ease after the session. We certainly got a lot out of it, and we felt much more comfortable in us not having to have gone through IVF/surrogacy before proceeding. It's going to be a process now just going through the application process (the paperwork is gob smacking), dotting all of our i's and crossing our t's.

The only thing we had a question that went unanswered was regarding proving the two year de-facto relationship. We've been living together for coming up to a year, but it's only been over the last 5 months that we started to merge everything as joint ( eg. bank accounts, changing super beneficiaries to each other). We couldn't really get an answer regarding when the time would be considered ''the start" - i.e. from the time we first started to merge together officially, or from the date we moved in together; it was suggested that we contact the department and see if they're willing to take a Stat. Dec from us/family stating when we moved in together, or when my partner and I started receiving mail at our home address. This will end up forming when we can place in the application, which will be in the best case scenario, in about 15 months.

Anyway, taking away the above bureaucratic stuff, we're very much looking forward to the next steps. The stats were amazing though - currently 37 approved couples, and between 15-25 infants were available for adoption in the last financial year. Of course availability does not mean anything, because it all depends on the matching between bubs and the adoptive family, so it's really a case of pot luck and hoping to God that it's your time!

How is everyone else going? How did you find the info sessions, both for adoption and PC? What drastic differences are there in regards to visitations with birth parents and court orders etc? It was eluded to briefly yesterday, but would be good to get someone's perspective who has heard it already!

Thanks again ladies and gents. You're all gems... and warriors!!

Munchkin

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Munchkin,

Sounds like an interesting session!

Can I ask a couple of questions;
    * when you say 37 approved couples - are you referring to your particular agency and in your state? Or is that in a particular region?
    * Also, did they give you any clarity about how they make the 'match' - I know it's when they identify the right family for the right child, but I'm not clear on how they determine that?

Thanks! Me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2017 View Post
    Hi Munchkin,

Sounds like an interesting session!

Can I ask a couple of questions;
    * when you say 37 approved couples - are you referring to your particular agency and in your state? Or is that in a particular region?
    * Also, did they give you any clarity about how they make the 'match' - I know it's when they identify the right family for the right child, but I'm not clear on how they determine that?

Thanks! Me
    I can't offer advice on the Vic system but here in Qld the matching process is very thorough and looks at birth parents requests in regards to things like age, location, religion, other children, extended family, amount of contact, pets, hobbies, schooling, etc etc. Also if the child has any medical needs, social needs, who can support that best.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Me2017  (26-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Bezzy!

I'm in NSW - I would guess they're all somewhat similar though, so thank you for the information.

It's interesting that you bring up the birth family requests thing because that reminds me that I have read (at least for NSW) that the birth family are involved in selection especially for children under 2 years of age.

As the vast majority of these adoptions are not voluntary, I think it's quite nice that the birth family still do get that say in their child's future.

I guess there is no way of knowing or predicting how likely it is that a match will be made because those type of requests would be so incredibly variable!

Thanks, Me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2017 View Post
    Thanks Bezzy!

I'm in NSW - I would guess they're all somewhat similar though, so thank you for the information.

It's interesting that you bring up the birth family requests thing because that reminds me that I have read (at least for NSW) that the birth family are involved in selection especially for children under 2 years of age.

As the vast majority of these adoptions are not voluntary, I think it's quite nice that the birth family still do get that say in their child's future.

I guess there is no way of knowing or predicting how likely it is that a match will be made because those type of requests would be so incredibly variable!

Thanks, Me
    A bit different here where adoptions are voluntary on the parents' part but good to hear they are still involved when it isn't.