+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default To work or not to work during IVF?

Hi Ladies,
    I am interested in your opinions on this question. If you could choose, do you think it would be better to work full time through the IVF cycle, part time or cut back altogether??

Have any of you cut back your hours or taken extended leave from your work? For how long? Did you find it helped??

I've got a stressful job and I'm worried with IVF stress on top of it, my chances for a BFP will be reduced. Have any of you had this worry? I'm just interested to see how other people have handled this question and how it has worked for them.

your thoughts????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi Josi... If I had the choice obviously I would not work... but we need the money.

I have a high stress and demanding job and I have chosen to work as who knows how long this thing will take.. Its been 18 months already. I do stop work while in a cycle and take 2-3 weeks off. That is my trade off.. my balance. There is no way I can work during a cycle so it makes the choice easy. Im a fly in fly out worker so my employers know I need a few weeks off every time I stim and they are OK with it as I normally only stim 3 times a year.

Its a very personal decision so good luck if you are considering cutting back or stopping work.

SpotTheOcelot is offline 'Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    after losing our baby at 21 weeks, I left my job, too demanding, too far to drive (3 hours a day of driving in city traffic plus then the highway home) and too little 'us' time.

I know have gone back tot he same compaby but different divison closer to home, the GM knows my history and created a job based on what I wanted...

4 days a week, minimal client contact, minimal stress and time needed to go and have scan etc with no pressure.

It is perfect as I have the stimulation of the work environment, social side of work, less money but not an issue, more time with my darling and a good distraction durign the two week wait to stop me obsessing too much.

JellybeanInc is offline Ready and waiting for the learning curve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to quit work to do my IVF. I live 1600 km's away from the nearest capital city, and the turnaround time for blood test results where I am is 4 days, which just doesnt cut the mustard when you're on IVF. So I had to relocate to Perth for my entire cycle every second month. It was impossible to keep up a full time job under those circumstances. I tried casual work, but they all still couldn't let me take the time off I needed because it was so often and for such a long period of time (3-4 weeks every second month).

If I would have had the choice I would have liked to continue to work part time. It gives you something to focus on between cycles and in that 2WW. If possible make it a low stress job. Stress doesn't make you body overly receptive to the whole getting and staying pregnant thing.

I finally fell pregnant (naturally!!) when DH demanded I take a break from everything for my own sanity and we went on holiday. I conceived on that trip and I think a lot of it was to do with the fact that I just totally de-stressed and stopped focusing on what was/wasn't happening.

So to sum it up, what ever makes you stress less! It might be that you need a job of some kind to keep you from focusing too much on the IVF, or it may be a complete break from everything. Good luck!! Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would love not to work, but unfortunately being the bread winner I have to work. Without it there would be no IVF. I have dropped from 5 days per week to 4 days per week. I thought it would make things easier, but it hasn't. I work as a nurse and with shift work its so much harder to fit in U/S and BT's.

Being in the country its hard as I have to travel to the next town to have U/S and BT's. Its a 90min round trip. And we have to wait at the BT till we are called so most times I have spent half the day in the next town.

We are moving to sydney to be closer to our clinic and my DH will end up with a better paying job so I will end up working part time 3 days per week hopefully and picking up extra when I can.

Hopefully this will reduce stress on me and allow me to get pregnant.

You would think if i worked in health that they would be more understanding. Not so in my current work. And it is stressful.

I hope this answers your question.

TNTbub

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is so good to hear from you ladies how you have dealt with work and IVF. It is so helpful to me.

Lily, I take my hat off to you doing the fly in and fly out job with all of this happening. It is so good that you can have time off when you are cycling. Does that mean that everyone at your work knows about the IVF? One of the things I'm dreading is everyone at work finding out and questioning me about it all the time.. I work with a lot of people and just couldn't handle it as 'tea room chat'. THey are not very discreet. lily, I know you are leading up to an important cycle soon. and will be cheering you on when you get there.

SpotheOcelot, I am so sorry to hear that you lost your baby. It must have been so tough. It's great that your work could be so flexible and give you exactly what you need. I'm glad to hear it is working for you. You must be relieved. This could be an option with my work (cutting down number of days) but I'm worried they would just pile the same work into those days (this has happened to me before). Argh!

Jellybean Inc, - wow I hear about you going on holidays and getting pregnant NATURALLY!!! Congratulations!!!! This makes me want to immediately pack my bags and take off on holidays. I wish I knew it could be that simple. When you say do what makes you stress less, well I think for me that is not working at all (I'm a bit of a stresshead). If only I had a set date of how long this would all take. I guess this is the uncertainity that does our heads in. Mmmm... this is so hard!!

TNTBub - working 3 days sounds like it will be ideal for you, and so much easier in sydney after living remotely. Good luck with the move. I wish you a BFP soon.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I'm going to dwell on it a bit more and have a think..and meet with my boss and find out my options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Josi, and all the other ladies .

I actually just quit my job last week after loosing my baby at 12 weeks, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I had asked my manager for some time off due to a personal situation and he declined saying that we had just won a new contract (I work in HR for large Mining company). When I realised that I was putting my job before me I quit that day. My job came with so much pressure, stresses and trying to achieve unrealistic deadlines. I'm more then happy to do some temp work here and there to keep myself busy until my dream of being a mummy comes through.

(I am also in a position that I don't have to work to live, which makes the decision much less stressful)

Goodluck with your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think part time work is perfect if you don't find yourself stressing about ivf and getting pregnant in your free time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sweetdreamer good on you. You know what you mean to the company when they do that to you. Well done for taking a stand and throwing it in.

Josi... Thanks so much for your kind words... this is a big cycle... D day really but I will give DHEA a go but will also start the donor egg process with my sister. My bosses do know what I am doing and they are extgreemly supportive but I also give a lot to the company. I have spoken to the medics on site and am happy to come back to camp with an emby on board Its hard to think that I will EVER get that far. So I will pack a few HPTs and will have not BT for 4 weeks until I fly out on my next break or AF arrives which ever comes first. The medics said my only risk is ectopic but they can call the flying doctors in if it looks like Im in any trouble. Try an limit who you tell... your boss and immediate boss are really the only people that need to know. The rest dont really need to discuss your treatment in the tea room. Your boss has a LEGAL obligation to not tell anybody else if you tell him (or her). Good luck Josi....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also work as a nurse but am only contracted to 20 hours per week (even though i work full time hours). I start ivf in late July and ended up telling my boss about it as i didn't want to be put onto night shift during this period and i would need time off if i needed to go to the fs and i was rostered onto work.
    I was quiet worried about telling her, but she was very understanding of the time i needed off and even asked me all about our situation so that she could have a better understanding of it.

She basically told me that she always tries to roster according to other people's pregnancies and childcare arrangements so she can't see why she can't roster around my ivf.