ADVERTISEMENT

View Poll Results: What age is a young mum in your opinion?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 18

21 22.34%
  • Under 20

33 35.11%
  • Under 25

36 38.30%
  • Under 30

3 3.19%
  • Under 35

0 0%
  • Under 40

0 0%
  • Under 45

0 0%
  • Under 50

0 0%
  • Other

1 1.06%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MumtoD View Post
    People are having babies later. I think the avergae age of a first time mother is now 28? I might be slightly off but it is somewhere around that.
    no the average age is about 31.5 or something very specific like that lol.. and it is increasing too..

and An chen: I think the feeling of being a young mum is probably the feeling that you are just way younger than everyone else.. there is a sense that people think you are incapable under about the age of 21 I think.. and I think I've felt that feeling like I have to prove my ability to be a good mum.. and I am always having to reassure people that "no, it's really NOT awful.." but you know now i'm 22 i'm acceptable

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MumtoD View Post
    People are having babies later. I think the avergae age of a first time mother is now 28? I might be slightly off but it is somewhere around that.
    Yeh I tend to agree - I am 30 and most of my circle of friends dont have kids or are just starting to think about or have a young toddler. We had a 10 yr reunion and VERY FEW (likemaybe 1 or 2 ppl) had kids.

Until I come on BH I haven't been in contact with ppl who had kids in there early 20s.

I knew of a few ppl who had kids when they were teenagers like 17-21ish; but really noone b/w 20-25?

I dunno maybe it was the area I was raised in because I now I live in the country and most ppl have kids before 25 around here.

It is like a wierd balance; my mates I am meeting down here mostly have kids and started aroudn age 23-26 and tell me to hurry up. But my mates in Melbourne say im too young and to wait...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngNotDumb View Post
    no the average age is about 31.5 or something very specific like that lol.. and it is increasing too..

and An chen: I think the feeling of being a young mum is probably the feeling that you are just way younger than everyone else.. there is a sense that people think you are incapable under about the age of 21 I think.. and I think I've felt that feeling like I have to prove my ability to be a good mum.. and I am always having to reassure people that "no, it's really NOT awful.." but you know now i'm 22 i'm acceptable
    Oh okay. Well then I still feel like a young mum. In society's eyes, it feels that way. However, in my own eyes, I have just felt like a mum - that is all.

I honestly think having a baby after 30, I would feel like an 'old' mum and it's not something I would personally want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by An Chen View Post
    So can somebody please explain to me what it FEELS like to be a young mother? I am really honestly curious.
    Hmm well to me u either are a young mum or u aren't or u were a young mum or u weren't if that makes sense.

Going by this thread though there are a few different opinions on what ages are considered young.

I don't think there is a specific feeling attached to being 'young' and being a mum as I'm sure ALL first time mums have felt unsure, judged, finanicial strain,questioned their abilities etc.

I don't know how old your child is now but to me at 17 u were a young mum and say your child is now 8- at 25 to me you would still be young to have an 8 year old child.

Hope that made some kind of sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 1988 View Post
    Hmm well to me u either are a young mum or u aren't or u were a young mum or u weren't if that makes sense.

Going by this thread though there are a few different opinions on what ages are considered young.

I don't think there is a specific feeling attached to being 'young' and being a mum as I'm sure ALL first time mums have felt unsure, judged, finanicial strain,questioned their abilities etc.

I don't know how old your child is now but to me at 17 u were a young mum and say your child is now 8- at 25 to me you would still be young to have an 8 year old child.

Hope that made some kind of sense.
    Thanks 1988 (best year ever). Yeah I think once a young mum, always a young mum. Although I quite like that.

Kittylou is offline My precious Hamish, forever in my heart
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had DS a month before I turned 23 and I considered myself to be a young mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a baby at 23 and then a baby at um 33 and 34.

I've never considered myself a young mum or an old mum, just a mum.

On the other hand, when I was staying at my parents' house, in a pretty well to do area, when I was 24 with a toddler, several poeple assumed I was her nanny, which I guess was simply due to my age.

My parents married at 31 etc so it might also depend on how old your parents are as to how you think about this question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Under 25.

I was 21 (just) when the Trip's were born & consider myself a young mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think under 25 is when you're a young mum. Early 20's is still young.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm 33 and I have had a midwife and a doctor refer to me as a young mum which I find more than amusing! I guess in this day an age where 40 year old Mums is much more common than when I was a kid 33 may seem young!