+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default School and nits/lice

I found some nits/lice in DD's hair last night . We have been using tea tree oil and lavendar and hair spray to try and prevent but obviously no luck! So last night I spent an hour combing through with conditioner and then washing with the shampoo to kill anything we missed. When we washed the shampoo out in the bath, none washed out, so I am pretty sure we got them all.

So...do I send her to school today? She will be devestated not to go, but I am not sure what the go is. I think they are all gone, but do you keep them home JIC?

I will do the conditioner thing again for the next few nights, just to be sure, but after it being all clear last night (changed sheets etc last night too) I assume she is OK to go? or Not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    check her hair again this morning to make sure you didn't miss any eggs because sometimes the plain conditioner method won't remove all the eggs and they might either still be there or have hatched overnight.

Good luck.

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks
    It was the medicated conditoner, and the shampoo was the one that kills the eggs and lice. I just re-read the packaging and it's all good to send her - yay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    awww the one perk to not having a child with long hair i guess. so far *fingers crossed* we have no had a nit!!

glad she is able to goto school today!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you let the school know as well? We got a note home on Friday saying there has been a case of headlice and it gave an info sheet as well and at the bottom there was a part we had to cut off and send back to say we have checked and treated our child's hair with our name, the child's name, the child's class, the date it was treated, and our signature. I think that's a good idea because you don't always know they have head lice, and she could pick it up again from school if people aren't aware and are not checking hair.

I use Moov Lice Defense hair spray every morning. Lasts for 8 hours so it more than covers a school day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a headlice question.....

My dd had them last week and when I used the comb to get the eggs out, her hair was way too fine and it didn't get the eggs at all. I had to use my nails and it took forever (my poor dd!!)

Can anyone suggest a good lice egg comb for very fine hair?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    candy ask at the chemist, but i'd go for a metal one, if you can, one with jagged edges on the comb..

getting the eggs is the key, we've had nits twice and a few years ago, i always check the girls hair, just in case

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Candy we have a metal comb and find them best by far. You can wet the hair with vinegar to dissolve the glue that holds the eggs on too.

To the OP, I treated DS the other day and sent him the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks bronny-Jane and Mumma Tissy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Metal combs all the way, There is a comb we got from my chemist it cost me $18 bloody dollars, and its a double comb has two layers of metal teeth, and my daughters hair is still too fine for it So I had to use my finger nails which took hours and a very sore back. I have no yet found a finer comb so if someone does find one could you let us know?