+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default what do you do with toddler at tantrum time?

DD (2) is the tantrum queen at the moment and I am not quite sure what to do with her when she is having them. It would be ok if she just sat in the one spot and screamed but she follows me round the house which is a bit much at times! I have tried putting her in her room but I don't think she gets the link that tantrum = room and then she gets even more hysterical. What do you do with your toddler when they are having tantrums?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I put DD in her cot, but I won't be able to do it for much longer coz she won't be in the cot for much longer. It works. I'm not sure what we will do when she no longer has the cot, maybe put her in her room til she calms down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    we will stop whereever we may be whether it be at the shops, walking etc and i will get down to coops level and talk to him and ask why he needs to have a tantrum. its usually something quite simple which can be solved as he wanted to look at something but didnt give me a hint etc. if its something i cant solve, i will let him tantrum for however long it may be.

i just find getting to his level makes a world of a difference as he is able to communicate fairly ok but not the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I let DD know that I love her firstly, I then ask if she is ok or if she is hurting physically or emotionally, I then reassure her that I WILL listen if she wants to talk about it and that if it is a reasonable request I will try my hardest to get/do it for her. Then if it is unreasonable I will explain the boundaries and discuss other things she might enjoy/ things that will solve the problem. If all this fails I tell her that she is more than welcome to be sad/angry/frustrated but not to waste too much time/energy being angry and if she would like to continue the tantrum could she please move into 'her' space tone negative.

I try not to react unrationally or make any sudden/rash movements when she is already fragile as I feel that direct isolation without any chance of discussion can create the opposite effect and escalate her frustration/saddness when it comes to her feeling understood/secure/valued as a human being HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is 20 months and also the queen of tantrums. She knows "Zarah go to your room" and she will go there and sit on the floor. Took a few months but I would say it, then pick her up and then put her on the floor in her room. She connected the two and now goes to her room when I tell her. She doesn't still on the floor for very long, it's kind of like a reset button, She come back out normal... The other option is a play pen if you have one... I wouldn't use the cot only I don't want her to associate where she sleeps to were she has time out IYKWIM