+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Uni degree with young children

Im thinking about doing a uni degree but i have young kids. So is full time study everyday like school hours? How does the timetables work? Also anyone done a degree part time? My course would be 9 yrs that seems forever

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It depends what you are studying. I finished an Arts degree with young kids and that was ok, I was part time. Science-based courses have a lot more contact hours and many courses also require you to do placements which also may not be in school hours.

What are you planning on studying?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have 5 children, the youngest being 18 months, and studying full time online

i couldnt imagine having to go to campus.

i use the Jet Scheme which allows for 2 days per week day care nearly free.

study late into the night.

study with baby on lap

I make do.. cause i want it enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i guess it depends on what you are studying. I did an undergrad psych degree part-time and off-campus (which meant no labs or placements). I found that it gave me something to focus on that wasn't baby related and the stimulation I felt I was missing.

How do you do it? I did a lot of study at night time when the kids are in bed or during days when dh is home to watch them and I could sneak out to the library.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was working full-time and studying full-time by correspondance when I fell pregnant and had DD1. Then fell pregnant again and had just had DD2 when I finished that first degree. I remember it was hard work but I am truly unsure how I actually managed it all.

I start another degree (completed unrelated to the first one ) end of May and still have the 2 kids and no job and am only doing part-time study and I am really scared. I think its that the kids are a bit older and require more attention now than when they were very young/babies.

I think its one of those things, like Morrigan said, you just do it because you have to and fit it in wherever you can.

Good luck with it all, it is very rewarding and a great feeling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 2 year old DD and I am in my first year of a Teaching Degree on campus. I have gone feet in first and am doing it Full Time. So far so good...but it is hard to manage time with my toddler and study time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went back to uni to finish my Marine Science degree when DD was 18 months old.
    I only went back part time, on campus - and as pp mentioned science degrees have a lot of contact hours, so I was there almost every day - some days for only a couple of hours, and some days all day.

I spent alot of nights and weekends studying, either at home or the uni library. DD also went to daycare for a couple days a week so that I was able to come home from uni and study for a couple of hours uninterrupted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking doing a teachers degree to become a special ed teacher! I would love to work with kids with disability

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old are your kids? How long since you did any educational stuff? Would you be on campus?

I would recommend picking a 'uni skills' type course first off, it will count for the same amount of credits as all the other subjects, but will have a lot of support for teaching you how to write essays, reference, and that sort of thing.

Just ease into it.

I think uni can be fantastically rewarding, but when you have young kids it does take a lot of commitment.. you need to want it or it can be all too tempting to throw in the towel.

Being external will save you loads of time in travel and class time... but on the other hand, a lot of people starting uni benefit from being on campus and getting that nudge to stay focused and disciplined.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will need to go on campus as i dont have the discipline to do correspondence. My kids are 4,2,10mths!

Another thing i dont think im "smart" enough to do it and have doubt in myself.

What is that "uni skills course"? How long does it run? Costs?