+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymuma View Post
    Thats true but doesn't money give them the freedom to leave a relationship giving them the opportunity for happiness???
    Maybe why celebrities get divorced so quickly??
    Mishaswonderland I think having some money is necessary for everything you described, but I don't consider that rich, more comfortable, like middle to upper middle class maybe, thats what I'd like to be someday. Rich to me is having enough money for anything you desire and I don't think that amount of money will make you more happy than the person who is comfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you are happy poor you will sure as sh!t be happy rich.

Miserable people are miserable no matter what.

Stuff is just stuff, as long as you have money for medical care and a half decent life it's all fine and dandy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Memie View Post
    My generalisations about wealthy people are aimed at the REALLY, extremely, over-wealthy peoply.
    Some would call DF and I 'wealthy' so I KNOW that not ALL wealthy people don't value their property and what not, but my generalisations were about those who can afford a new car every week.
    I disagree, generally the extremely wealthy are very down to earth and you would not know unless you were close with them that they were extremly wealthy.

Money can buy temporary happiness. But it is your midset that makes you truely happy. Look at all those lotto winners who live the high life for a few years and then end up with no friends or family or money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it is because after awhile, you become used to your new circumstances and after you adjust you realise you are still you, regardless of what you now 'can' have.

If you can't be happy with a lollypop I don't think you can be happy with a yacht. The idea being if you can't find happiness in your life with what you have now without the 'what ifs' and 'if onlys' then you may find after a few years of becoming accustomed to a lifestyle with money, that those what ifs and if onlys not only still exist and that the 'simple' joys from not having to stress over rent no longer give the same joy and satisfaction they once did.

I'm not sure if someone can truly appreciate something they have always had.
    If you had always been able to afford your car payments or home rates or whatever, how would you know what it was like to be in the position where they sat and thought "oh if I could just afford x y and z and didn't have this stress I would be so happy'

I think there are plenty of people who have plenty of money who are plenty miserable.
    Last edited by Looshkin; 23-04-2010 at 22:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    it makes life easier

it cant make you truely happy, only you yourself can be happy,buying material objects isnt going to make you happy it just makes life easier and convienient i suppose...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think I'm happier if I compare down instead of up, that is, compare my situation in life with the poorer people (millions of people living in poverty, who don't have access to clean water, food, shelter, medical assistance, living with war, etc) rather than the wealthy celebrities who are so much more visible to us. So, being grateful for what you have, emphasising the positive.

And, it helps to be reminded that 100% of people who win big money put on weight!
    Last edited by Penthesilea; 23-04-2010 at 22:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think peopel just mean money by itself.

But for me, money is security. It's a decent place to live. It's enough to live. It's travel opportunities. It's the ability to do things I like. And how is that not happiness?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No money can't buy happiness, it can buy things that make you happy but can't make you happy and fix your health or relationships.

We just bought a new car and love it lots and are super excited however last week when we signed the contract we'd had what we thought was bad news and all the money in the world wouldn't have fixed that.

However this week bad news turned into bloomin awesome news and we're super happy on a personal level. So yeah it can't make you happy but it's not all bad either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All the money in the world can not make you fall in love or make someone fall in love with you. It can't buy you good health. It does not stop people from cheating on you. It can't bring people back from the dead. It also can't make a woman fertile when it doesn't come naturally to her and medical science does not work. Just a few reasons why money does not equal happiness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymuma View Post
    Thats true but doesn't money give them the freedom to leave a relationship giving them the opportunity for happiness???
    Sometimes, but I suppose in certain situations by splitting up and dividing the wealth they would be less wealthy than if they just remained together and bared it. Also if a prenup is involved maybe?

Money sure as hell makes life easier, but I think it can also make it more complicated if you let it. More money usually means more debt, more tax etc...