+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Memie View Post
    I think it has a lot to do with what values money brings to a person, rather than its actual use.
    Those with a lot of money tend to not value what they have, family, friend and property wise. Its all replaceable to them.
    Those with not so much money value what they do have, and can appreciate what they have a lot more.
    Does that make sense?
    Um. Wow. I think I must have read that wrong. Wealthy people, even really rich people, love their families and friends too. People are never replaceable.

Money alone can't make you happy. It can certainly make some parts of life easier though. Wealthy people still have arguments, get tired from work, get sick, grieve and so on. And there is pressure from people who want handouts, too.

All the wealthy people I know work very long hours, some away from home, some at very stressful, important or scary jobs. The money compensates to some extent but everyone has worries and troubles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    having your needs all met and having some little luxuries is enough to be happy I think. being in poverty is hard and stressful.. so not 'happy' usually. but you can find little ways to be happy still..

being 'rich'.. I think it makes some people total assholes really. not all. but a lot. probably because to some extent, i think having some struggles and worries is grounding. I understand wealthy people still can have regular worries, i.e. relationships and family problems.. but everyone has those. I genuinely think the stress caused by the daily struggle for money can actually be a good thing!
    I've heard a lot of people who inherit or win large amounts of money can suddenly become very depressed or suicidal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Shh yes you did read it wrong. What I mean was, yes, wealthy people still love their families and so on, but they generally show their love by buying their children what ever they want, big cars, expensive schools etc. They give their over halves free range to the credit card and what ever else they want.
    From my experiences with the really wealthy people I know, money buys their friendships and their childrens love and their partners love. People aren't replaceable, but I have known some to move onto the next money hungry partner within a few short weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I know what you meant Memie. I was a single mum for over 2 years and I was so dirt poor but struggled and suffered to save up for a $3,000 car without having to take a loan.

Everyone tells me how crap my car is and my own boss drives a luxury car and barely looks sideways when it gets a scratch.

I treasure my car much more than a lot of people because I worked soooooooooo hard for it and it wasn't handed to me on a silver platter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry to hear that, Memie, that is not the case with any of the people i know, wealthy or otherwise. My friends and family make the best decisions they can. I don't think anyone would show love by sending their kid to private school?? Some parents may feel guilt for not spending as much time with their kids as they could but I don't think they love their kids any differently.
    Last edited by Shh; 23-04-2010 at 17:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cos the best things in life are free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can honestly say that right now, no amount of money would bring me happiness.

Sometimes even all the money in the world can't fix everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Because money is materialistic as is anything you can buy with it. As human beings it is only natural that we crave for something much more than that, if you had all the money in the world but nobody to share your life with, I guarantee you would be miserable, you can't buy somebodies love. And without love or companionship people can't truely be happy because we are made to be with others..
    That's why there is a man and a woman

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can honestly say money would buy me happiness - no doubt about it.

There are only 2 problems in my life at the moment - the biggest is the stress of not having enough money to get by. I can honestly say that at least 10 times a day I have a moment of panic thinking about how we are going to get through the week, the month, the year.

The other one I'm sure I could pay off with all my money and they would dissapear

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandmum View Post
    I think being middle of the road is the best way to be, have enough money to pay the bills, a bit extra to go to the movies, or go out to dinner once in a while, and to have some money in the bank just for a rainy day, is the best way to go. You don't stress about when the next pay cheque is going to clear, but you also don't let it go to your head.

Thankfully we are lucky to be in this position, because we don't spend what we don't have and stick to a budget.