+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Unhappy Is there anyone else out there who can't have a baby purely due to finances?

Isn't it awful?!

I dearly yearn for another child. I loved every minute of having a newborn/baby/toddler/young child and I really would love to give DS a sibling but I can't and the ONLY reason is finances. It sucks!

DP and I are saving for a house of our own because we are sick of renting and I'm a big believer in home ownership, which forces me to work full-time. I don't have much of an earning capacity but the $37k I earn makes a huge difference to our budget. I just can't see me not being able to give it up.

I was looking at repayments on houses in our area and for a very modest home the repayments would be $600+. Very doable for us (we already pay a heck of a lot of rent), but it'd be hard to go down to one income and have the expenses of another child.

It hurts so much. I'm a loving mother, I love my son more than anything in this world and all I've ever wanted is to be a mother. I love it!! But stupid money

Anyone else in the same boat?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Yes.

And in fact we are trying to sell out house so we can go back to renting! (You don't have to pay all the extras like rates with renting, and if you get a good land lord you don't have a worry in the world)

I want a little girl... but wants and needs are very different things, I guess

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Good luck Nomsie. Ikwym about rates etc. We're happy to pay those as we don't have any car repayments or any other debts (except a $500 credit card which DP could wipe out in one go). We've got $15,000 saved and we're still saving. We just want a house before we have any bubs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    yes.. this is exactly how i feel... makes me so sad that i cry sometimes.. and i have moments (especially when i am O'ing) that I just think bugger it - lets get pregnant.. but the reality is we probably wouldn't be able to pay our mortgage and bills each week (don't relly know what u get from gov - assume it would help somewhat - but I can't rely at it as income)

we are desperately trying to get our businesses off the ground so that hopefully I can be a WAHM and DH can earn some steady reliable income (he is a chippy)

I was ok until last yr when I fell pregnant by accident and had a miscarriage. Plus I have just turned 30 so i think it is a combination of everything.

If I won $100K I would have a kid in a flash - that would pay a good chuck of our mortgage and take some pressure off...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    oh ang, i hope you get there sooner rather than later. you and B would make such cute bubs and be such awesome parents to another little bundle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hell if I had all the money in the world I would definetly have a couple more children.
    Simple fact is I struggle on a pension with 2 so wouldn't dream of bringing another child into this situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    money will be the sole decider for having baby #4. DH and i were talking about it last night (baby #4). money will decide

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I know where you are coming from, I actually posted a topic similar to this "would you?" in the section, Should we have another baby? Its so frustrating, I want another now but we simply can't afford it, its all due to finances and I'm not getting any younger! I wanted 3 close in age, as I am from a family of 3 kids all very close in age and LOVED it!!
    It's not that I'm irresponsible with money either. I get really annoyed at people who say they earn all this money and don't know where it goes? Man if I earned all that money I would definitely know where it would go!!! I guess they just don't have to worry about the dollar as much as some of us do!

Guest Guest
    Yes, I'm in that boat now. I'd love to start ttc now, but we definately can't afford it yet, so I have to wait till our finances are up to scratch which will take another year I'm imagining. My health insurance lapped too, so now I have to start all over again with that and re-do my waiting period. And now interest rates are going up and its only getting harder. I never thought I'd have a long gap between babies, but thats how its turned out. not good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes. I would love a third but at this stage it will never happen.

However I am very fortunate to have my two and I'm really so grateful for them.

I understand the desire to own a home but I think if you want another baby that much you will regret it far more if you don't have one than you will if you put off home ownership for a few years. There is a time limit on having kids. There isn't, really, on owning a home.