ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice for new mums?

Hey All,

As my due date is fast approaching, I thought i'd start a thread about any advice you would give to a new mum?

Maybe during labor or the first few weeks ?

Thanks in advance

Guest Guest
    For labour, mine was crap and I had a c/s, so I can't give any real insight there besides research what you would like for both vb and cs.
    While pregnant, I would say to any mum to be, only buy the basics and get everything else as you need it and according to what you and your bub like and find useful. eg. they may not like being rocked, so that rocker you bought will just sit there or those 10 cute outfits you bought in size 4 0's will never see the light of day because by the time you go to all these places for them to wear these outfits, they're already in the next size up or for the extra 2 boxes of newborn nappies you thought you would need, but realise are now too small.

I also spent the first 6 weeks, feeding, sleeping and recovering and adjustment to a new baby takes a while. If you need help, ask for it, no one expects you to be perfect. Also, don't look in the mirror naked a few weeks after... I stressed about my body so much when I should have just relaxed and let time pass, I wanted everything to go back to normal too quickly and when you've just had a baby it doesn't work that way.

And lastly, your baby is still getting used to the world and you to them, take it day by day and everyday you learn something new (and lots of people will help and teach you something along the way). Also trust your instincts, you'll be amazed how intune you and your baby are to each other, its a bond unexplained. You'll be a great mum, beyond anything you imagine and I don't think anyone could have taught me anything or given me advice, I had to take it all in as it came.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    My advice would be to look into before birth and establish after birth a routine for the baby.
    No one mentioned this to us and the first 6 weeks were hell as DD was awake until 1am every day. Put a routine into place and it was much better. Bubs knew what was happening during the day and I could plan my day better. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't always work 100% but it is so much more predicable.
    Di

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The biggest piece of advice I could give would be to take each day as it comes and use the first 6 weeks to get to know your baby. I thought many times during the first few weeks that I had made a huge mistake and would never be able to cope with a baby but now I realise that I just didnt know her properly. 6 months on and my DH now describes the 2 of us as a pack of hyenas laughing at jokes that no one else gets!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Some advice...newborn babies wake up every few hours to feed, and it's normal. Don't expect bub to sleep through at an early age. Some do, but it's certainly normal if they don't (I have read lots of threads on here from worried mum's stating that their 6 week old baby doesn't sleep through, which is perfectly okay!)

I actually would advise not to get into a routine in the first few weeks. I let my baby lead me, he told me when he was tired and hungry. I personally don't think babies benfit from a routine until later down the track...newborn's don't need a routine (that is my opinion, some people think otherwise).

Be prepared to be covered in bodily fluids everyone is different, but I have now been spewed on, pooed on and peed on. Lovely.

All babies are different. What one four week old baby does will differ to another. Don't freak out because your baby is not doing the same things as another baby of the same age.

This advice is from my midwife - don't tiptoe around babies. Go about your home life like normal - don't hesitate to use the blender because the baby is sleeping. I didn't tiptoe around DS, and he sleeps through anything. I can even vacuum his room while he's in there fast asleep. It might just be my baby, but I have heard of other people doing the same thing so either it works or it's a big coincidence.

And last but not least, enjoy your baby and take other people's advice with a grain of salt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellini View Post
    Some advice...newborn babies wake up every few hours to feed, and it's normal. Don't expect bub to sleep through at an early age. Some do, but it's certainly normal if they don't (I have read lots of threads on here from worried mum's stating that their 6 week old baby doesn't sleep through, which is perfectly okay!)

I actually would advise not to get into a routine in the first few weeks. I let my baby lead me, he told me when he was tired and hungry. I personally don't think babies benfit from a routine until later down the track...newborn's don't need a routine (that is my opinion, some people think otherwise).

Be prepared to be covered in bodily fluids everyone is different, but I have now been spewed on, pooed on and peed on. Lovely.

All babies are different. What one four week old baby does will differ to another. Don't freak out because your baby is not doing the same things as another baby of the same age.

This advice is from my midwife - don't tiptoe around babies. Go about your home life like normal - don't hesitate to use the blender because the baby is sleeping. I didn't tiptoe around DS, and he sleeps through anything. I can even vacuum his room while he's in there fast asleep. It might just be my baby, but I have heard of other people doing the same thing so either it works or it's a big coincidence.

And last but not least, enjoy your baby and take other people's advice with a grain of salt
    All great advice Bellini - especially the bit about bodily fluids. The first nappy change I did at home on my own was a poo explosion which in turn ended up all over me, the carpet and curtains!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    labour... you may be surprised but alot of women think you push out the baby using your vagina.. but its your entire core doing it... when its time to push, push where you feel the pressure... but dont go to hard.. you dont have to push like a mad man... just small pushes and breathing, and you may avoid tearing

as for when the baby is here, sleep as much as you can, even if you need to get a relative to come over for an hour so you can sleep.. i do it, its hard to sleep with my youngins, so i get my sister to watch them so i can nap...

if your planning of bf, learn about attachment now, watch videos and read..but watching is better... the key to bf is good attachment

Thanks
    Reviews

All great advice here.

Especially the bit about not tip toeing around them. DS got held by everyone and my hospital room was always crazy busy - DS was first grandchild on both sides plus I was in hospital with 2 other friends who had babies at same time so my room was constantly filed with family and friends. Now he can sleep through most noise.

Thanks
    Reviews

you got my vote too Bellini, great advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The one thing that caused me so much stress was that DD ( now 2) would only feed from one breast for about 4 mins only-all the books were saying they should feed for about 20 minutes and offer both breasts. I would sit there watching the clock trying to force her to feed ( which is just not possible), until my aunty who is a midwife with 5 kids of her own said that all her kids fed one breast only for less then 5 minutes. I was able to relax heaps after that. When DS was born ( 4m) he was the same as DD and this time I didn't worry at all.
    Other tip-have some Lansolin cream for your nipples and start putting it after every feed rather then waiting for your nipples to get cracked and sore and then starting to use it. I did that was DS and had hardly and pain at all.