+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving to Melbourne - Does a Midwifery Group Practice exist there at all?

Hi, I just had DD in Feb through the Midwifery Group Practice (MGP) at Mater Hospital in Brisbane. I was looked after by a wonderful group of 5 midwives right through pregnancy and labour and couldn't have asked for better care. We are going to move to Melbourne in the next couple of months and I just want to check things out in advance. We are hoping to TTC again in 6 - 8 months and I was wondering if Melbourne has anything similar to the MGP in Brisbane where you are looked after a group of few midwives outside the hospital (antenatally) in a friendly clinc but you can deliver in the hospital by one of those midwives. I had a relatively complication free labour and achieved a drugfree natural and I would like to achieve a similar experience the second time around.

Also what are the catchment areas we need to consider if there is a similar model of care in Melbourne? We are looking at possibly living near Glen Waverley but are open to other areas if I can get into a desirable model of care antenatally, for labour and postnatally.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    I think Casey hospital does, but not 100% sure. I'd give them a call to ask, and about catchment regions etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Try Box Hill - they have a clinic in the hospital mostly run by the midwives with some appointments with a Dr, and then you are assigned a ward by the clinic and you can expect one of the middies to attend the birth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes in addition to those mentioned above the Mercy Family Birthing Centre (Heidelberg) has that model of care - you will have one appointment with an ob (female usually) to assess your suitability for the program.

The Royal Womens- also has a similar program- run by midwives.

All the best!

Bluemist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your replies I think Casey will be closest to where we are planning to live.

Guest Guest
    This is the royal womens website, (imo) it's probably one of the best public in Melbourne:
    http://www.thewomens.org.au/Pregnanc...pitalbasedcare

They also have the frances perry house which is the private part and they have spa baths in the birthing suites and birthing balls and things like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you are in Glen Waverly you will be closest to Monash hospital, (I think the proper name is Monash Medical Centre) I HIGHLY recommend the Birth Centre there. I had my son there and it was excellent. I never had to wait for an appointment (although they were at the hospital) and I think its a team of midwives, (I only saw a Dr when baby turned transverse and had to be turned, but was still under midwife care) I had the same ones a couple of times for appts, when I actually gave birth I had midwives I hadn't had before but they were amazing anyway. Highly highly recommend it, PM me if you want more details