+ Reply to Thread
    jolenje is offline Another Little Leo Coming 2010!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Good Books/Sites/Articles on Active Birthing

Hi ladies, can you suggest any literature that may help me in my research...?
    As the title suggests I am hoping for an active birth with minimal intervention and hopefully less pain/consequential pain relief this time after a traumatic and prolonged first birth drugged out, flat on the bed-legs in stirrups and eventual assisted delivery...
    I just want to be more informed this time around and therefore hopefully feel more in control...
    Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Check out "Labour of Love". If you google it you'll find the website, and the book is linked on the site. I loved it so much I bought a copy to gift our doula!

(Plus it's Australian, so it has a bit more locally relevant info than some of the other birthing books out there).

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great Annonnymouse...I have actaully won a 2nd hand copy off Ebay just last night!
    I'm glad you reccommended it, now I can't wait to read it!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read Active Birth by Janet Balaskas. Very good book, which explains the birthing process and ways to cope with the pain and why it's happening. I found that because i understood the pain it was easier to cope with.

Teegzie is offline in Wonderland with my little Alice!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've been reading "Birth Skills" by Juju Sundin after having it recommended to me on here. She can tend towards the "OB knows best and their advice is always great" way of thinking at times and her experience is all with hospital/birth centre births, but she explains the physiological side of labour very well and why certain things will help at certain stages. All of her advice and pain relief techniques seem really logical to me and DF (who is a pretty big cynic when it comes to all the "weirdo hippy stuff women waffle on about!" )

I also loved "A Labour of Love" that Nonny suggested. Combined with "Birth Skills" I found a good balance of advice that fitted in with my own birth philosophy.

I borrowed all the books recommended to me from the library first and then bought the books (Labour of Love and Birth Skills) that I found the best suited to me. I figured the more I read (even if it turned out to not be a great help to me) the better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Teegzie & Retter...Thanks for the tips, I have actually been looking at those two titles, but didn't really want to lash out and buy a whole pile of books...they can be pricey...
    I might scour ebay again for 2nd hand copies.