+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bgbgbb is offline To think, I was only going to have 1 child!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy Torn stomach muscles in late pregnancy

My osteo has confirmed that the horrific stabbing pain in my belly is actually a torn abdominal muscle (I'm not surprised seeing as I'm heavily pregnant with twins).

I've been told that there's not much I can do other than take painkillers, although if anything accidentally touches the tear, not even the strongest painkillers seem to help. I find I cannot bend, left anything heavier than 1 litre of milk, walk or stand for more than about a minute and even sitting is uncomfortable. By the end of the day the pain has me in tears. I'm dreading the remaining 4 weeks of this pregnancy as my tummy's only going to keep growing, at twice the rate of a single pregnancy.

Has anyone else had this? If so, how did you cope?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    you poor thing that sounds so so awful

ive alwys wished for twins and ive followed a few of your posts and some of the other hubbers who have had or are having multiples and its been quite educational for me. im starting to rethink my earlier request for twins as i think i was only thinking of the 2 bubbas at the end and not all the hard work and worry in between.

good luck youve done so well and are almost at the end

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am 39 weeks pregnant and have a pretty big split in my stomach muscle (left over from my first child and made worse this time). In my case it's just because i am very small but my belly goes very large during pregnancy.
    It is quite painful
    I wish i could help with ways to cope but i can't - i've just been told i have to live it with as nothing can done until after i have the baby. I just try to take it easy (as much as possible with a busy toddler to care for).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by supermumof3 View Post
    im starting to rethink my earlier request for twins as i think i was only thinking of the 2 bubbas at the end and not all the hard work and worry in between.
    It's funny, I always wanted twins, despite none running in my family. Having said that these came along totally naturally. But you're right in guessing that a twin pregnancy is not all it's cracked up to be, especially if you've had a few kids already. The only thing getting me through is knowing I only have a maximum of 30 sleeps before these babies will leave my poor torn body and end up in my arms.

Mothersmilk, like you I'm quite slim too but with this massive belly. Bizarrely I dont have one stretch mark, but it seems all the stretching is taking place on the inside.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you have a belly band? I had a a big bit of tubigrip to hold everything together and it was a lifesaver.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, dont have a tubigrip, but it sounds just what I need. Do you get it at the chemist?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this with my last bub (#4) and the gap was a hand wide by the time she was born. I was given tubigrip by the hospital physio, it is a tube of tight elastic fabric that you wear from beneath your breasts to your waist. I don't know if you can buy it tho, maybe call your chemist first & ask if they have it.

With this pg bub has stayed transverse for most of it, so the tear has gotten worse. I have been using tubigrip, and I have also found the belly bands excellent comfort. I got mine from Kmart, about $20 for a pack of 2.

I found the comfort came from the snugness, the muscles were confined, it was their movement that hurt. In desperation I have even bought a wide elastic bandage (the brown colour one) from the chemist & wrapped it around, instant relief!

On the up side, the hospital physio came to see me post birth in my hospy room & gave me some simple exercises to do, and the muscles were mostly better in 6 weeks. Perhaps ask your middies if this is possible?

I hope you get some relief soon,, all the best!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah the belly band sounds like the go!

I feel for you so much!

I tore rib ligaments when I was about 38 weeks last time, that was pretty agonising. I used a heat pack a LOT. It gave instant temporary relief. I also tried cold packs, but it just felt wrong. I used panadol when it was TOO much pain, but VERY sparingly... I hope it's not too nasty for you these next weeks...

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi, oooh gosh i feel your pain. i was hospitalised at 23 weeks with what they thought was appendicitis...turns out to be torn uterine muscle. i spent 3 nights in hospital resting and taking panadeine forte. after about 10 days of not doing very much it was alot better, and now i just occasional twinges. i know it's not what you want to hear, but you really need to rest rest and rest. do not lift anything (you probably can't anyway). have you been checked by an obstetrician just to make sure it is in fact a torn muscle? hope you feel better soon xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    bgbgbb,

I second the tubigrip too! i couldn't survive without it. I got mine from the physio at the hospital, but you should be able to get it from a chemist.

You might find seeing a physio handy too, they can give you advice on strengthening exercises (if appropriate) and actions to avoid.

Mothersmilk, there are exercises that can help with abdominal separation, and tubigrip definately helps. Can you see a physio cos it sounds like you aren't getting much help either.