+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bayside Primary schools and kinder

Hi

We are moving to Highett in July and my son will need to start Grade 1 then and my daughter will need 4yo kinder

I am just after reccomendations for schools and preschools to look at. I am very excited but dont want to pick the wrong school.

Thankyou

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    **bump**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't help you out with any recommendations but for kinders you could check out
    bayside.vic.gov.au.
    They have kinders from brighton up to about highett. I don't know what council is on the other side of highett.
    Maybe while talking to some of these kinders you might get some good info on what schools are better than others.
    We have booked into elsternwick primary in brighton for next year. I have been told this is a good public school, but probably a little to far from highett?
    With kinders there may not be much of a choice but your local one, waiting lists are usually long and priority is given to people who actually live in the immediate area.

I hope this some what helps.
    Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    OK a long answer for you!
    And DEFINATELY IMHO, others may have a different experience and if are willing to share it would give you a broad view point.

From Highett (assuming your on beachside of highway) the closest school is either Sandringham or Sandringham East for State Schools. For private you have Firbank, just off bluff road near royal avenue as well as two catholic primary schools - Sacred Heart in Sandy and St Joesphs (I think that's the name of it) in Highett. 2km down the road is Black Rock Primary and Morrabin Primary &Beaumaris North would also be a contenters. St Lenoards and Haileybury are 2km down the other way. So as you can see you will be spoilt for choice.

As far as making a mistake.... I know families at alot of the above and they are all great schools so it would be difficult to make a big mistake by choosing ANY of these schools.

If I had my time again when I was choosing a primary school I would have gone with the closest as they are all great schools from an education point of view and it's only primary school and they would be more involved in there immediate community - and I won't have to travel as much! The closest school makes it easier for play dates after school and weekends (for when they get a little older). You won't have to drive them as far and other parents won't mind if they have not far to go. High school they can branch out and chose a school that is intune with how and what they want to learn - and they can ride their bikes!

If you're child is already in primary school then you have an idea how schools work so it will be what is important to you and what you want for your child. You should meet the principals to help you choose. Also meet the vice principals as they are usually more involved with the students and are more visible (well maybe just at our school ?)

I know Sandy East has a very strong community focus. Most families are from Highett and Sandringham. It's a growing school - 400 ? Sandringham Primary is zoned so in Highett you will be just out of the zone, but there are alot of Highett families who attend there, so it doesn't exclude you. It's very easy to get to and the kids can ride since there are footpaths and fairly straight roads to the school from Highett. It is a big school compared to the rest of the local schools. 600? Black Rock has a strong focus on education and has accelerated learning programs, but is a little further from Highett, but again alot of children from Highett go there too. It has parallel learning in 5/6 (boys and girls are separated into single sex classes to be taught differently) There is not as much as a 'natural' affinity with the area from Highett to Black Rock and you may find you're 'not part of the community' in regards to sporting activities in later years. ie black rock kids can play footy at Beaumaris which means more travel time. Black Rock is a growing school - as are all of Bayside schools. I think it's got around 420 ? Highett residents probably have more of an affinity with Sandringham and Highett shopping centres . But this REALLY doesn't matter in the scheme of things, just from a community point of view - and where you will do coffee after drop off
    Morrabin - I don't know too much about this one. St Heart is a small school, and doesn't have much grassed areas- not sure if this is too important for you ? St Joesphs(/) is also a small school, but has grassed areas. Firbank is small and has beautiful buildings, but with excellent primary schools in the area why would you pay $10k + when you don't need to ??? IMO

I hope this has helped. As you can tell I'm from Bayside so am familiar with the area.

Just pick a school that will suit you. Play devils advocate with anyone in the area and they will tell you what is good and what's bad (or maybe the won't tell you the bad! everyone wants their school to be The BEST! (Ha everyone is different so what's good for one may not be good for another.)

In regards to kinders - chose one that feeds into your chosen primary school as alot of friends are made in kinder and the schools have excellent transition programs with the local kinders. You will need to call Bayside council to enroll in any of the kinders as they have a central enrolment process that the kinders have to adhere to. Good luck with kinder as Bayside is growing and alot of the programs are full with large lists.

If you are on the other side of the Nepean in Highett then the local council is Kingston Council and they will be able to help you with Kinders etc too.

BEST OF LUCK and welcome to Bayside it's a great area.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply I have heard that most bayside schools are excellent and it is hard to go wrong. Sandringham East and Sandringham are two that I was focusing on. You are right too as far as going to the one closest to home makes the most sense. Especially when sports on weekends is factored in.

I am so excited about moving back have been gone 8 years just have to sell my home and buy another one now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok have narrowed it to Moorabbin PS and Sandy East PS as we are smack in the middle of the two and the Dept of Ed. seems to think we are entitled to go to either.

I like the sound of the community feel of Sandy East and planning on sending the kids to Sandy High so perhaps that is the best option?

Can anyone shed some light on either of them?

Might post in the schools section as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to come back and update have bought a place in Sandringham very excited. DS is enroled in Sandy East and DD managed to get a kinder place at Nagle all walking distance from our house as is Sandy High

I am really excited to be coming home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    you've probably already decided haha but thought i would put input anyway

i went to beaumaris primary and cant rfave about it enough- i had the best experience at that school so many extra currciular things, excursions etc i loved it

i also know alot of people whgo sent there kids to Olive Phillips Kindy in Beaumaris and love itr.