+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Day and Night Confusion - need well tested tips

Please can anyone reply with their best advice on how they got their baby into a day night routine. I have changed DS routine so heis nor 4 hourly feeds from 3 hourly but he never caught onto the day night part of the routine. He is 3 months old now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    sleep bub with an open window,blinds, lights on during the day and dark at night.
    Saying that my DD didnt sleep through til she was 11 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not too bothered yet about sleeping through the night because he was 7 weeks premature and I like to keep feeds up for him to catch up. It's more frustrating that he wakes up and stays awake for hours from 9pm at night. He isn't crying or hungry, just wide awake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With both DS and DD I have kept all interaction to a minimum during the night from the day they were born.
    This meant feeding in the semi-dark (with a dimmer lamp on very low so I could change their nappy), no talking, no eye contact and even shutting my eyes and staying still (like I was asleep) if they did wake up and want to start looking around.
    Within a couple of weeks I found they didnt even properly wake up during night feeds and they seemed to figure it out. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We do the same as Kingyo minimal light zero stimulation after bedtime (from 6 pm ish) so no eyecontact, no talking no lights, once they get past the pooing with every feed I stopped changing at night unless they had poo'd or were very wet, No TV when doing the night feeds I tended to cose my eyes too.

Day sleeps are with the blinds open and I greet when I go in - so when up for the morning big smiles good morning R are you ready for breakfast etc extreeeeeeme happy voice compared to the zero contact apart from the feed at night and I do the night routine for every feed between bedtime and breakfast.
    HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Seacretsquirrel View Post
    ...once they get past the pooing with every feed I stopped changing at night unless they had poo'd or were very wet...

Day sleeps are with the blinds open and I greet when I go in - so when up for the morning big smiles good morning R are you ready for breakfast etc extreeeeeeme happy voice compared to the zero contact apart from the feed at night...
    HTH
    Yep, I do these too. DD always wakes up happy when I do that voice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, I just read an article on Pinky McKays website about the importance of eye contact and it's made me feel really guilty about those first couple of weeks of doing my 'day from night' routine with my bubs and the times I avoided eye contact with them!
    I know it probably only added up to a few minutes in their lives but you know how 'mother guilt' plays on you!
    Next time I'll be leaving it off the recommendation list!