+ Reply to Thread
    Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Itchy skin driving me crazy!!

Hello ladies

For the past few months I have had terrible itchy crawly skin. It feels like my skin is crawling and prickly. I have no rash at all. It's mostly on my arms and legs, and starts in the morning about an hour after I get up, and then again in the evening. It goes away after an hour or so, but it's sooooo annoying. I've tried everything - washing powder (we've used the same one for ages), showering without shower gel etc., moisturizers. My skin is not dry at all. I've had blood tests to test thyroid levels as my Mum has had problems since she had me, and itchy skin was a symptom for her. I've had my iron levels, liver function and kidney function tested. All normal. I've changed my pill, but that's not helped. My doc hasn't got a clue, and I'm at the end of my tether with it now!! I have pre-diabetes too, but my doc doesn't think that's a cause of the itching. I had DD 4 months ago, so I'm wondering if it's something to do with hormones?? I don't know!!

Have any you ladies had anything like this after having a baby, or being on the pill?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! Just a thought, what about diff baby products you may be using that may irratate the skin? I suppose you have tried all the lotions and potions like Alpha kerri etc. How about visiting a naturapath. What about anything in the garden? Are you stressed, this can call an unusual reaction to your skin, even tho its not physical. Good luck with it all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was going to suggest stress...

I had uncontrollable itching last year and was tested for everything. All normal. It went away on it's own eventually. I think it lasted about a month.

I'm positive mine was stress related. There was no other explaination

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, i think it is definitely the products you use, shower gel, moisturizer, etc...
    Have you tried products without the harmful chemicals in them?

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had horrible itching, but it was only my skin shrinking after bubs. I tried cocoa butter and nivea moisturiser, which helped if I reapplied frequently. its been a month and I'm not constantly itchy, just occaisionally.
    I agree that it may be stress related too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi littleskippy
    I am having a similar problem. Mine has been going on for about 3 weeks now. I have terribly itchy/crawly skin too. The only difference is that mine comes up in whelts too. I thought it was hives or an allergic reaction but my doctor said that it should go away in a few days if it was. He sent me for blood tests, which actually came up with hyperthyroidism (although he said this would not be causing my rash). The only thing that stops the itch/rash for me is antihistamine tablets and Dermaid cream (which has cortisone in it). But every 2-3 days when the antihistamine tablet wears off I am back to where I started
    I have done the same as you: all products & foods in the house are the same, nothing has changed there; I have been using Pinetarsol soap to try to ease the irritation instead of regular soap etc.
    I think that our bodies take up to 6 months to re-adjust their hormones back to normal after having a baby, maybe this is just our systems going a bit haywire?
    I also wonder if it is stress related, as my Dad passed away 3 months ago and since then I have been so full on with caring for my little one (she's 4.5 months old now) plus making sure my Mum is supported emotionally. All this seems to be taking a toll on me physically - in the last month I have had a cold, ear infection, this rash and now I find out I have hyperthyroidism.
    Have you been feeling stressed or overwhelmed? Maybe it's a reaction to that. Someone once suggested to me that our bodies deal with what we are feeling emotionally & mentally in physical ways. I am beginning to believe that now.
    I think that I have been so focused on everything else but myself that I was probably running myself into the ground. This may be the same for you?
    I hope our itchies settle soon