ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's a silly group. Nothing to be taken seriously though haha.
    Just a bunch of grumpy people with wishful thinking.
    I don't take drugs, and I am on centrelink while I'm looking for work, and I know that I would NOT be impressed getting a urine test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know I'm going against everyone here, but I don't have a problem with it. And no, I'm not a redneck.

It will never happen. I would never join such a ridiculous facebook group. It's a joke - but I have no problem with it.

I know most people on Centrelink don't take drugs. But there are heaps that do (even something as minor as pot). I'm not anti anyone spending their money on whatever wasteful activity they choose to undertake, but I don't see why money that should be used to support themselves and their families should be spent on drugs.

I know it's a hassle for people to take the tests, but they're obviously not working, surely they could fit 30 mins into their week somewhere. Either way - it would never happen and it is a ludicrous idea.

Before anyone asks, no I don't take drugs. I did a variety of drugs when I was younger but I spent my wages on it. Not someone elses.

Don't bother with the hateful comments at me telling me I'm ridiculous - everyone is free to voice their opinions ... and this is just mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Its pretty funny. How many members does it have?

I mean why would they urine test to get on a payment? It should be to keep getting it!

Its just a stupid group. How many thousands would there be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Every1sm8 View Post
    I know I'm going against everyone here, but I don't have a problem with it. And no, I'm not a redneck.

It will never happen. I would never join such a ridiculous facebook group. It's a joke - but I have no problem with it.

I know most people on Centrelink don't take drugs. But there are heaps that do (even something as minor as pot). I'm not anti anyone spending their money on whatever wasteful activity they choose to undertake, but I don't see why money that should be used to support themselves and their families should be spent on drugs.

I know it's a hassle for people to take the tests, but they're obviously not working, surely they could fit 30 mins into their week somewhere. Either way - it would never happen and it is a ludicrous idea.

Before anyone asks, no I don't take drugs. I did a variety of drugs when I was younger but I spent my wages on it. Not someone elses.

Don't bother with the hateful comments at me telling me I'm ridiculous - everyone is free to voice their opinions ... and this is just mine.
    Heaps do? Where are all these heaps of people?

So do lots of working people.

That doesn't mean we should take away their basic human rights.

Besides if you take away payments from a serious drug user, where do you think they will get the money from? Umm - that's right, they may become desperate and rob your house.

Hooves is offline My children/my legacy, the best of me is inside them.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    Heaps do? Where are all these heaps of people?

So do lots of working people.

That doesn't mean we should take away their basic human rights.

Besides if you take away payments from a serious drug user, where do you think they will get the money from? Umm - that's right, they may become desperate and rob your house.

Can I just add, why do you think, most workplaces stopped urine testing, and do swab testing?

Urine tests, pick up pot in the system for about 6 weeks, after the fact. Yet will not pick up heroin, once the high has gone.

Mouth swab, will pick up POT after up to about 6 hours.

Face book has some dumb groups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    im going to go against everyone too..

i hope no one takes this the wrong way

i agree with Every1sm8, although there are working people who take drugs, the people who are purely on centrelink and really have no reason to not be working and use the money for drugs and alcohol is a waste. ive seen alot of people on centrelink because they "cant be bothered" working. i mean i understand it can be difficult to find a job but theres always something out there it just may not be what they are looking for so they dont want it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It is not their "hard earned dollars"

I get a tax bill each time I lodge my ITR - luckily I have had PAYG withheld as I have earned my wages

The ATO and I do a settlement, and they pass THEIR revenue onto the Government who decided where to spend THEIR revenue.

It is not and never has been my money.

I am proud to live in a country that has a social services policy and I am proud that, at this time of my life, I can contribute $$$ where other people have already contributed time and $$$ in the past, and others will contribute time and $$$ in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    when i first read your title i thought you were saying it as though you thought they should lol.

I think that in some circumstances it would be a good thing, but for most people on centrelink payments its dodgy as hell.

for me personally, i have nothing to hide and dont do anything that would jepodise my payments, but am on centrelink because i chose to stay home with DD and my partner is an apprentice.

for my old neighbour it would have been a good thing. he and his wife were pot heads and i think having that sort of thing would have given them an incentive to get off the pot (the mum wasnt a full blown pot head).

but then again, i've been wrong about them before. so i dunno, might just increase crime rate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by slinkyjinky View Post
    im going to go against everyone too..

i hope no one takes this the wrong way

i agree with Every1sm8, although there are working people who take drugs, the people who are purely on centrelink and really have no reason to not be working and use the money for drugs and alcohol is a waste. ive seen alot of people on centrelink because they "cant be bothered" working. i mean i understand it can be difficult to find a job but theres always something out there it just may not be what they are looking for so they dont want it.
    I'm a single parent, desperate to find work. I've had all of 5 days work in the last 6 or 7 weeks. I am taking whatever comes up, so long as it's within the hours I'm available, since DD has to be cared for first and foremost. I just started a course today to get qualified in a different area to open up more opportunities. In my entire working life, since I started working at 15, I've been unemployed for less than 2 years in total. I took 1.5 years off when DD was born before going back to work. I have also had a few weeks here and there between jobs. I'm turning 30. So out of the last 15 years since I've been old enough to have a job, less than 2 years of that time has seen me rely solely on benefits. Where would I get time, between caring for my special needs child, running her to and from appointments and everything else, doing a course, and looking for work, to do such a test???

Why should I have to prove myself to a system because of a very small amount of people who are drug addicts?

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I have never touched cigarettes or any drug other than medications when sick, caffeine in coffee, and the odd alcoholic beverage on occasion. Why should I have to go out of my way, possibly interfering with a job interview (which has happened before when Centrelink needed me to attend an appointment to keep the payment current), to have a urine test done which is also extremely humiliating to say the least!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think thats a ridiculous group but at the same time I can see why that person would feel like that (not saying that i agree at all btw)

The majority of people use centrelink payments the 'right way' (paying bills, buying food etc) but it does make me wonder how many drug and alcohol abusers use this money purely to fund their addictions.

We work hard for our money and pay our taxes, i think its fair to say that we want that money to goto people who really need it and spend it wisely iykwim