ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiemummy View Post
    When Ds was first born it was...

Wake, change, feed, burp, spew, change, settle, sleep, wake, change, feed, burp, spew etc...... By the end of the day you realise your still in your pajamas and havent done a single thing lmao...

with my bub.
    Although for me, I am getting these additional items:
    Wake, change, feed, burp, spew, settle, mum's time- (like 5-10mins max, enough to allow me to change clothes, put moisturiser, comb my hair, brush my teeth), wake, change, settle, sleep in the sling-mum does some housework, and that cycle goes for several hours until DH comes home and it's his turn while I have my shower, then wake, change, feed, burp, spew, settle, sleep....

This 'routine' is slightly different when we're going out. Just add 'going out' in between, but the rest is pretty much the same

Depending on the bub, sometimes, I can have my bfast at 9am, sometimes I don't get anything to eat until 11am. Sometimes I get a total of 6 hour night sleep (great!), sometimes I only get maximum of 3 hours sleep. And DH helps with nappy changing and settling him.

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    i have a 1yo DD

Somewhere inbetween 7am & 9am DD wakes up

Breakfast.

She has breakfast & then i pop her into her bouncer thingo while i make my bed & have a shower. She likes to watch me get ready.

we then go out into lounge room & play or she watches ABC kids.

11am-12pm ish she will go back to sleep.

Some time between 1pm & 2:30pm she will wake.

Lunch time.

Play time or we will go for a walk to woolies & get stuff for dinner.

Afternoon Tea at around 4pm

Dinner at 6pm, bath, bottle & book.

Bed at 7pm on the dot

Obviously if we go out the day varies but you get the drift for a home day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellini View Post
    I don't have a set routine, as I don't believe in routines for babies, but that's just a personal opinion.
    I think it depends on the baby as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellini View Post
    Huh? What do you mean? I never shower during the day, bub or not
    I think she means not being able to shower once a day. I certainly know people who told me (before DS1 was born) that being a mother meant you didn't get to shower, get dressed etc, that you will only shower on Sundays or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I get up before my kids do now, and have a shower then. If I don't, it doesn't happen until late at night and these days late at night I am asleep!

The weather is so utterly revolting though that I always feel hot and sweaty and gross again by 9am...

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymuma View Post
    Sorry but I never understood how mums went through the day without even showering - I was bored with my newborns as I had so much free time.

Obviously it depends on the baby - I had babies that slept well - woke to feed and be changed then went back to sleep. Obviously if you have a baby that cries constantly then your day will be busy.

I think the best thing about your first child though is the night waking can take a little to adjust to - with first baby you can lay down every couple of days and have a sleep with them.
    When he was a newborn yes it was easy, he slept for 3-4 hours, was up for an hour feeding/playing and asleep again. But now at 8 months he won't sleep for more than 20 minutes twice a day, is crawling everywhere, and it's harder to leave him alone long enough to get ready (it takes an hour just to do my hair!) so it takes more preparation and scheduling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBabyLeo View Post
    When he was a newborn yes it was easy, he slept for 3-4 hours, was up for an hour feeding/playing and asleep again. But now at 8 months he won't sleep for more than 20 minutes twice a day, is crawling everywhere, and it's harder to leave him alone long enough to get ready (it takes an hour just to do my hair!) so it takes more preparation and scheduling.

Crap you must have pretty hair

And for the PP I did mean just the one shower a day - having a baby is no excuse not to shower in my eyes - take them in with you.

Guest Guest
    Crap you must have pretty hair
    No!! It takes an hour just to make it look neat My hair is thick, alot of and curly/frizzy and I can't just wash it and leave it, or put some product in with a quick blowdry, it takes some work...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    well a particular day for us would be as follows-

7.30am wake up and get kids dressed for school, baby changed, twins to the toilet etc

7.45am breakfast, brush teeth, finish getting ready for school etc.

8.30am dh leaves to take the 2 older boys to school and i then set up the 3 youngest in the lounge room with a dvd or abc kids then get started on brekkie dishes, and put a load of washing on, wipe benches and table.

9.20am dh arrives home from school drop off

until 11.30am i do various bits and pieces in the house, have a quick shower etc while dh keeps the kids entertained as he works afternoons so doesnt get to spend time with them otherwise.

11.30am lunch time

12pm nap time for 2 and quiet time for the third, we read a book, do puzzles while the other kids sleep, i finish off anything that needs to be done in the house, check emails have some lunch myself

2pm dh leaves for work if he has a 3pm shift, kids wake up and we have a snack and get ready to go get the older kids from school, we leave at 2.30pm

4pm we arrive home from school pick up, older kids have snack time and i start on dinner while the big kids do their homework that they can without my help.

5pm is dinner time, i do the dinner dishes just as the kids are finishing dinner so i dont have a mess to worry about later.

6pm shower time

6.30pm bedtime for the youngest 3 and i help the bigger kids with the rest of the homework that they need help with then they relax, sometimes watch tv or playa game or read a book and spend time together til about 7.15pm

7.30pm bed time for the bigger kids

of course activities vary in the day if i need to do groceries or run errands etc but mealtimes, nap times and bedtimes are all very strict around here. With five boys i certainly cant afford to have too much chaos around here lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    the best start to the day when your a mother is being able to get up, go to the loo, and have a cuppa in peace before bub gets up!

sleep dep is the worst thing, but the love i have for ds grew so much stronger everyday it helps you get thru it.

ds is now 12 months, he gets up around 6.30 i get up at 6am. he is awake for 2 hours (has brekkie, and hand feeds himself) then sleeps for 2 hours,then is awake for 2 hours (has lunch) then sleeps for 2 hours, then is awake for 2-3 hours and then goes to bed (7ish).

it can get very groud-hog-day so its good to always do something as soon as they wake up!...
    good luck with the new bub! its the best thing that will ever happen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And for the PP I did mean just the one shower a day - having a baby is no excuse not to shower in my eyes - take them in with you.
    I have actually read and been told by midwives etc not to take newborns in the shower as the temperature can fluctuate and be hard to gauge.

OP, I live for naptimes!! If you use them wisely you can get a lot done but don't expect to get in the hang of it for a few weeks. Those first few weeks you generally need to sleep when baby sleeps! Good luck!