+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Jax510 is offline is so so so nervous,happy,anxious and excited... AND is a first time MUMMY.. I hope I get it right!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Whats a 'normal' day like for you?

Hi everyone,

I have the day off work and was just thinking about what my life would be like after baby arrives... So I thought I would ask at the best place there is for advice...here!

I am due to have my first bub in 8 weeks, I have an extremely supportive and helpful husband and great family and friends.

I just wanted to ask what a normal day was like for you ladies with babies at home.

So, what is your routine like? Do you have much quiet time during the day to get things done? What is the evening/night routine like? etc etc etc

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Routine? What routine? Lol.

my bubs is only 5 weeks old so everyday is pretty different. The only same thing from day to day is that bubs has his bath with dad when he gets home from work, and i have my shower at that time as well.

in not expecting to have much of a routine going for a few months yet.

as for quiet time, if bubs is on a 4 hour feed day then i have plenty of time to get things done, i even baked banana bread the other day! But if He's on a 1-2 hour feed day then i barely get off the sofa!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When Ds was first born it was...

Wake, change, feed, burp, spew, change, settle, sleep, wake, change, feed, burp, spew etc...... By the end of the day you realise your still in your pajamas and havent done a single thing lmao...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The only thing normal about my days is that they are all different, and yet the same, in every way, every day

At the moment a normal day for me consists of paying WAYYYYYYY too much attention to my boobs. Feeding my newborn DS, expressing, having my DD squeeze them and say `milk? MILK???' and try to feed but not remembering how, having my DP say to me `Put those boobs AWAY!!'

But hey, when you've got two under 2 this is life!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 2.5mo and a 20mo.

My days run something like this:
    2am feed the baby
    3am back to bed
    4am get up to toddler and convince him it's still dark
    5am feed the baby
    6am feed (breastfed) my toddler and we all get up for the day
    6-8am DH gets ready for work. I give my toddler his breakfast, have a shower, clean the baby, get dressed, get the baby and the toddler dressed, pack a bag for the day (I am a student, so 2-3 days a week I then leave the house for the day, otherwise...)
    9am feed the baby then we go out to the park, playgroup, pool, visiting etc the baby then goes to sleep in the pram
    11am morning tea (usually while we're out)
    noon arrive home, fix lunch, feed the baby
    1pm put toddler to bed, put baby to bed... chillax (while making tea and doing a bit of cleaning )
    3pm toddler gets up, baby gets up - we play at home for a bit and I feed the baby
    4pm get the dinner cooking
    5pm feed the toddler and myself - baby starts to cluster feed
    6pm we meet DH at the station and walk home together, feed DH
    7pm bath time - baby stops cluster feeding
    7:45pm bedtime
    8pm everyone is asleep and I can do as I please (including ironing or grocery shopping) for an hour or so before I go to bed.

We run to a routine in my house because my babies seem to do better with a routine (and tbh so do I). I also have a cleaning routine so I do a different household chore each day of the week.

I do get down time, but probably only really an hour or so a day.
    Last edited by Gabi; 08-03-2010 at 15:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry but I never understood how mums went through the day without even showering - I was bored with my newborns as I had so much free time.

Obviously it depends on the baby - I had babies that slept well - woke to feed and be changed then went back to sleep. Obviously if you have a baby that cries constantly then your day will be busy.

I think the best thing about your first child though is the night waking can take a little to adjust to - with first baby you can lay down every couple of days and have a sleep with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My first was like yours. Slept, slept, slept. I had so much free time.

My DS? Er, no

And with a newborn like him and a 19-month-old I have to negotiate shower time with DP. Really!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Haha- DS was a sleeper. Such an easy baby. I'm so scared about going back for more.

A normal day though, hmm....well, I guess mine doesn't really count seeing as I'm working and studying with a 4yo. Not even on the same page as with a newborn is it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymuma View Post
    Sorry but I never understood how mums went through the day without even showering - I was bored with my newborns as I had so much free time.

Obviously it depends on the baby - I had babies that slept well - woke to feed and be changed then went back to sleep. Obviously if you have a baby that cries constantly then your day will be busy.

I think the best thing about your first child though is the night waking can take a little to adjust to - with first baby you can lay down every couple of days and have a sleep with them.
    I always said I would shower in the morning before DH left for work, and I always have. DS1 was a very fussy baby and having showered and packed up first thing meant that I could get out for a walk at the drop of a hat, which was often neccessary with DS1!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well, my bub is amazing, if I may say so myself I get so much free time throughout the day, he's a really good sleeper and eater, even when teething. We've never had any drama or any hair pulling moments thus far (knock on wood). I don't have a set routine, as I don't believe in routines for babies, but that's just a personal opinion.

So a normal day at home basically consists of waking up, feeding DS & changing his nappy, playing with him for a little while, him napping and then me spending time cleaning/reading/bubhubbing , then it starts over again in a few hours when he wakes up. A day out is a completely different story, but we spend lots of time visiting relatives, going for walks to the park, going shopping etc.

DH gets home at about 4ish, has a play with DS or we will all go for a walk together along the beach, and then at 7ish DH gives DS his dinner bottle & reads a story, and then it's bedtime for DS and we don't usually hear much out of him until the morning After he goes to sleep, DH and I have 'us time', i.e.: playing a boardgame, watching a movie, having a glass of wine together....am I going into this too much? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by crazymuma View Post
    Sorry but I never understood how mums went through the day without even showering
    Huh? What do you mean? I never shower during the day, bub or not