+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hey there im also have a vbac in septmber and ive faced this since going back to the hopsy system and many things my wonderful midwife has sadi is that cfm is not required as a doppler is better than cfm and allows freedom and movement, also something i tell women who have asked me questions knowledge is power read and resreach vbacs. vbacs are now more risky than a non vbac birth. happy to help if u want it just pm me vbacs are normal births.

Thanks
    Reviews
    no body can do anything to ur body without written consent within the hopsy system. and scalp monitors can cause more harm than good the true way to find fetal distress is a blood test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamsmummii View Post
    no body can do anything to ur body without written consent within the hopsy system. and scalp monitors can cause more harm than good the true way to find fetal distress is a blood test.
    Unless of course they don't bother to tell you and just go ahead and do it without asking or letting you know whats going on...

Thanks
    Reviews
    if thats the case ur well within ur right to sue the doc who did it and the hopsy im so sorry to hear this has happened to u and baby at such emotional time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone for your replies, really useful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The scalp monitor while horrible saved my little mans life. The belly bands couldn't pick up his heart beat. We had to put a scalp monitor in (even though it scared me and made me feel like I was hurting my little guy). Thankfully we did because it picked up when his little heart stopped.
    Intervention saved my little ones life!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would not consent to CFM - causes more harm than good....does not lead to better outcomes, but does give higher risk of ending up with caesarean as a/ can give incorrect readings and b/ doesn't allow for movement (even cordless don't allow freedom to use shower and bath at will). Doppler monitoring is more accurate, and for less annoying.

Scalp monitoring is not routine but far more acurate than external CTG monitoring - obviously should only be used in extreme circumstances though!

Doppler is, by far, superior and most are waterproof, so you can be relaxing in a bath and your midwife can simply pop it under the water to check bubs heartrate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JATS View Post
    I refused continual monitoring. Regular checks with the doppler are fine, and apparently more relaible.

I'd never have got through my vbac strapped to a bed, no way.

It might be 'standard proceedure' but it's not required proceedure, you can refuse, I had an OB try to intimidate me into putting it on so prepare for a fight, but honestly I think women are better off without it.
    Why do they feel it is necessary - why use it, when they can just use the doppler.
    I didn't realise how awful it is till now, and am going to write that straight into my birth plan. I will definitely say no!!

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I didn't have any fetal monitoring with my VBAC.. or my next birth after that one either...

Labour at home as long as you can.

I just said "no don't want it as it will increase my chance of a repeat c-sec, you can monitor at intervals when I'm not wanting to move"

As it was I only got to the hospital 4 mins before he was born... so we had no intervention at all!!

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millamummy View Post
    Why do they feel it is necessary - why use it, when they can just use the doppler.
    I didn't realise how awful it is till now, and am going to write that straight into my birth plan. I will definitely say no!!
    They use it because it covers their bum legally. True. my Ob told me when I was refusing it.

He said "we can't make you have it, but I have to strongly suggest it because it covers us legally... and I need to make a note that you were fully informed and encouraged and still decided to not have CFM. It's for our own liability. It's your birth, you don't even have to birth in a hospital if you don't want to, there is no law saying you 'have to', but because you are choosing to, we do have to cover ourselves legally by suggesting certain things"