+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3already View Post
    I'm contemplating attempting a vbac and while doing some research came across info regarding continual monitoring which is something the hospital have told me they always do in a vbac.
    I was fine with that, thinking they just meant a belt round my stomach, until i started reading about how they often screw a monitor into the babies scalp too
    Does anyone have any experience of this?
    first of all congrats on ur pregnancy and there's only 3 days between our due dates.

i had a vbac at king edward last march and will be having another one in august. i had the sensors on my belly with ds2 but no monitoring actually on his scalp. infact i was only in the delivery suite for 2 - 3 hrs in labour and was stood up leaning against the bed the entire time. the midwives were great with me.

EquineMum is offline <---- Me, Him and The Bump 37wks
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was PG with DS1, DH and I read up all we could on everything about labour, from monitoring, to pain relief, to CS and everything in between. There were some areas we were prepared to negotiate on, and some we weren't, and the scalp monitor was one we were NOT prepared to budge on. They did say to me during my labour "we're just going to attach this to his head...." and I basically wanted to cross my legs and say "LIKE HECK YOU ARE!!!!". Both DH and I vehemently refused to consent to it- so they had no choice but to do without it. In the end, they settled for the external belts around my belly - and thankfully, they were cordless, so I could still get onto my birth ball, walk around (carefully) and labour how I wanted to.

This time round, I'm now PG with #2 and seeking a VBAC (yes, after 54 hours of labour with DS1 we ended up with a CS after all my hard work LOL - he just didn't want to budge AND he had his chin stuck out!!!). The closest main hospital to us has said "yup, sure, we'll take you, but we insist on constant fetal monitoring, and you must progress at 1cm/hour....." and I basically said "thanks, but no thanks" and hung up the phone. We've now found a birth centre nearly an hour and a half away that are happy to take me as a VBAC with NO monitoring other than external if they AND WE agree there's a need. There's no internals, no bells and whistles and I will happily be allowed to labour away to my heart's content (again just PLEASE don't be 54 hours this time!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have no advice but just wanted to congratulate you on your pregnancy!!! We ttc'd together about 12 or months ago.
    Good luck getting a pink one this time

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a VBAC 16 months ago & had the external monitoring only.
    My midwife was wonderful & disconnected it whenever I needed her to, to move around. I could still stand up near the bed & she would disconnect it so I could go for a walk if I wanted to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a VBAC in July last year and only had the external monitoring. My 'labour' went for 47 hours from start to finish although the hospital only classified it as 5 hours, after they broke my waters and things got going. It took me 40 odd hours to get to 5cm dialated. The midwifes were great. Knew I wanted a VBAC, so they kept taking me out of the birthing rooms when my contractions slowed and back up on the baby ward. This was so that the doctors wouldn't see that I hadn't progressed with my dilating and enforce an induction. Though in the end after 40 odd hours they cornered me and broke my waters.
    I'm glad I did it. Recovery was so much better than my c-section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had a successfully vbac 8 wks ago and was induced 24 hours after my waters broke and was constantly monitered but was kicked out of bed and told to get on the fit ball until it was to u comfortablle i only got on the bed when it was time to push the best way to got in public is sometime go with the flow of your body as everything can change but always be postive

leajones22 is offline Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had constant fetal monitoring with my vbac but no scalp monitor and it was all cordless so I could go where I pleased.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3already View Post
    I'm contemplating attempting a vbac and while doing some research came across info regarding continual monitoring which is something the hospital have told me they always do in a vbac.
    I was fine with that, thinking they just meant a belt round my stomach, until i started reading about how they often screw a monitor into the babies scalp too
    Does anyone have any experience of this?
    They tried to do this, without my permission or knowledge for that matter. Funnily enough the idiot OB didn't do it properly, it fell out immediately and the midwife figured that since we were getting such a good reading from the external monitor then we wouldn't worry about it. Thank God. My DD was born without a problem, healthy and unhappy to be out - she was induced

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had both CTG and fetal monitoring with my DD. The monitoring was continuous due to the epidural. I didn't know that i didn't have to have monitoring all the time, that i could refuse stuff. i thought i had to do what the hospital advised as they are the experts and know better

anyhows, they do foetal scalp monitoring to monitor the babys oxygen in their blood, so when CTG doesn't show yay or nay if baby is in distress then they will do this as well. So if your baby moves around, the belts keep slipping off (as in my case) or if the heartbeat looks a bit strange (in my case all that syntoncinen used to augment my labour didn't agree with my DD is what they said) so i had both things strapped to me and lying on my back . now after all that, they still couldn't determine if DD was distressed or not. so a couple hours later after all the organising for the "catagory 1 - immediate threat to the life of newborn or mother" c/s was performed she came out with apgar scores of 9 and 10.....

so long story short, because i am homebirthing, my doula and MW (who will advocate for me) will make sure i don't have the CTG and FM should i need to transfer. if i was only going to be doing a normal hospital birth then you need to make it clear each ad every appt that this is how you want the birth to go, write it up and stick it in front of your antenatal book, ask for their "waivers" that you can sign to say you are not having it done as a matter of procedure. have a big sign and stick it on the door. make sure everyone who comes into your room reads those notes before they even start to treat you. you need to let them know that the ball is in your court straight up. because when you are in labour and things are going at whirlwind pace it will be harder to fight the system.

Teegzie is offline in Wonderland with my little Alice!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by katieinwa View Post
    I didn't know that i didn't have to have monitoring all the time, that i could refuse stuff. i thought i had to do what the hospital advised as they are the experts and know better
    I was the same with my first. This time around I'm a lot more aware of what is really necessary and what isn't!

I've been told by a lot of people that i'm nuts to refuse the CFM because with DD it actually helped the OB's realise something was wrong. My emergency CS was a genuine emergency and DD had a very low AGPAR and required a fair bit of treatment once she was out.
    But the chances of having the same situation this time around (very short cord around the neck 3 times) are really slim and CFM will just bug me... especially since my local hospital doesn't have cordless monitors! The OB I saw actually said they would prefer to go with a scalp monitor!
    If I have to print out a big sign and staple it to my labia I will to stop them trying to screw anything into my babies head!