+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default vbac and continual fetal monitoring

I'm contemplating attempting a vbac and while doing some research came across info regarding continual monitoring which is something the hospital have told me they always do in a vbac.
    I was fine with that, thinking they just meant a belt round my stomach, until i started reading about how they often screw a monitor into the babies scalp too
    Does anyone have any experience of this?

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had this with my first son. Continual fetal monitoring can actually be detrimental to a VBAC. It is often blamed for picking up problems that aren't there and are a cause for increased cesareans. It is actually safer to have an experienced midwife with a hand held Doppler to monitor bubs through a couple of contractions.

The screw that goes into the baby head is exactly that. It leaves a bruise as well and when I had it done, it kept falling out so they kept having to put it back in.

I don't think continual fetal monitoring is a necessity for a VBAC and I intend to refuse it throughout my VBAC.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hospitals only do what you allow them to.

I had no fetal montitoring during my VBAC at all.

And when I had my appointment with my Ob at 36 weeks I told him I WOULD NOT do continuous fetal monitoring.... but I would allow for a CTG every so often when I wasn't wanting to be moving around.

It's not necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh man, I was hoping they didnt do it with majority VBACS!! Now im going to have to figure out how to tell the doctor nooooo thankyou. I agree, a doppler is fine by me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I refused continual monitoring. Regular checks with the doppler are fine, and apparently more relaible.

I'd never have got through my vbac strapped to a bed, no way.

It might be 'standard proceedure' but it's not required proceedure, you can refuse, I had an OB try to intimidate me into putting it on so prepare for a fight, but honestly I think women are better off without it.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is a link to a photo of one. I couldn't believe it was actually a screw that got screwed into their head. i was told I had to have it though and being a first time mum I had no idea that I could refuse it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont want to hijack, but for those who said "No, get stuffed" how did you go about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazza86 View Post
    I dont want to hijack, but for those who said "No, get stuffed" how did you go about it?
    I am refusing this time, and I was a little worried how to deal with it too. My doula has told me to let them carry on about it in all my appts and not argue with them and when it comes time that I am in labor we will simply just say that I have changed my mind and that I do not consent to it I luff my doula

Thanks
    Reviews
    As far as fetal heart rate goes all they need is 20 minutes of data every TWO hours. There is no need for CONSTANT fetal monitoring. I too plan on telling them thanks but no thanks for my VBAC in June.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They wsill tell you to go to hospital the second labour starts so they can start the monitoring.

Once labour started I stayed home until i was ready to go in. That was one way to stop the monitoring! I was there for about 3 hours before bub was born.

I had 30minutes on the bed monitoring and then i had a shower and sat DH on a chair behind the door. We stayed in that shower for a long, long time.

I stood in the room for a while with the MW by my feet with the monitor on my belly from time to time.

I was only on that bed for the time that i wanted and by the end i didnt feel the monitor on me and didnt give two hoots that it was because i was pushing!

The time you dont want it on is in early labour- one way ticket to slow it down and end up with a c-section!