+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tantrums - how do you handle them?

Just a quick question - how does everyone respond to their child's tantrums? My 18 mth old has just stepped up a level - screaming at fever pitch, hitting, throwing self on floor. Sometimes it's funny and doesn't bother us but other times when we are tired I know it has really pushed my buttons. And of course that's when she gets more grumpy...

We are saying 'no hitting' etc, getting down at her level and then walking away for a few minutes until she calms down. We don't know how effective this is but we're trying it for now.

What do other people do and have they found it useful? All ideas very welcome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm also interested to know because DD has already started them at 15 months!!!
    HELP!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Summers tantrums have been getting worse lately, we try to ignore her & wait for it to pass but when im tired & stressed out i usually just have to walk away then she comes to me when she has calmed down!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yeah we just tend to walk away and start doing something else...even if its pretending to refold the washing or something....once he realises we are not even watching....the tantrum stops...most of the time....lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We cut preservative 282 out of his diet which decreased the severity of his tantys dramatically.

His tanty's now are generally for a reason - not getting enough attention, over-tired or just simply frustrated. I get down to his level, hold him if he is crying and needs to calm down, and then tell him what we are doing and why. Often I give him a choice of some fun things to do later (play with play dough, in sand pit etc) and he will choose one to do after we have done our current task.

He's only just 2 but I've found that I can actually reason with him. It's amazing how clever our little ones really are

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We try to ignore them as hard as they are expecially when you have a 16mth old child headbutting the floor repeatedly
    Its best to diffuse the situation before it starts though but of course thats not always possible.
    Usually they are more from frustration at this age so we try to ignore them then try to "help" with whatever problem he is having whether it be getting blocks to stack or a toy to work.
    We also say " no thankyou " if he has hit us or acted out & then show him the correct way to handle the situation. This of course doesnt always work because of him being so young but then we want to lay the groundwork for the years ahead.

Its a hard stage but you will get through it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps for the ideas..I think we are on the right track but I might fine tune it a bit and explain why we are doing what we are doing etc a bit more. Some days she is great but others, it seems the moment she wakes she uses screaming as her way to let us know she is frustrated. Tonight in the bath she was pointing and ughing at a toy and I tried to understand what she was wanting but after three failed attempts on mummy's part she lost the plot. I dread to think what the neighbours think sometimes. I guess I'm feeling abit inept - we seem to be surrounded by placid bubbas who never seem to shed a tear meanwhile DD is screaming and throwing herself about!!Lol.I've known she was spirited since she was in the womb ( a real mover and shaker) and we wouldn't have her any other way but it does seem that its especially important to handle this stage well.

Thanks for the input. I guess we're also keen to get on top of it before things get out of hand and to be consistent. Any other ideas would be great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS, who is 18 months has also started this, when u tell him off, he runs away then does this leap to the fall. And when he gets himself back up again, he runs over to you and smacks you, sometimes i ignore him, and not pay him any attention, but then on the other hand, i smack him back, which is probably mixed signs to him, that mummie is smacking you, so it's ok to smack.. argh i dont know im lost aswell!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am really lucky in that neither of my girls have tantrums. My youngest (almost 3) will sometimes cry over not being able to have something - I let her know that I will have to take her to her room to help her calm down (i don't get angry) When she is there I tell her to come back out when she is feeling happy again, and she does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD has been doing this for a while now (18 months). The high pitched scream is the worst, she uses it to cominicate that she doesn't like something, or that she wants something, or that something isn't going her way. I hate it! I try and understand what she wants but sometimes i just have no clue!! That just frustrates us both!!

I use distraction as much as possible. When she is about to start throwing a big tantrum I suddnely jump op and go 'WOW!!!! OH MY GOSH!! LOOK AT THIS!!! WOWWWW IT"S A GREEN CUP!!! WOW!!! SHALL WE GO AND FILL IT WITH SOME GREAT WATER???!! YEAH? WOULDN"T THAT BE SOOOOO MUCH FUN!!"
    The poor thing doesn't know what to do!! It stops her tantrum though because she is just so suprised!! Then i get her all excited over this magical green cup!!! You have to go really over the top and praise her lots!! Yay, we are going to fill up this cup! You are so good for walking with mummy'.... and all that.

Most times this works. In situations where it doesn't work, or I don't know what she wants, I go and get her a drink of milk and a sandwich, put them on her small table and leave her alone for 5 mins to calm down. Most times she will just scream her head off for about 10 mins and then i come in and give her a little cuddle and say 'now, shall we go and play?' She forgets all about her tantrum and we go and play.
    Last edited by natasha; 31-07-2006 at 23:11.