+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default The new fertility test

Hi guys,
    I heard on the news this morning about the new test we can have which tells us how many eggs we have left. I think it's a fantastic invention! Just wondering what everyone else thinks...and what impact actually finding out how many eggs you have left will have on your life.
    Kelly ( 3 posts to go till i can add my pic and ticker! yay!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If it only tells you how many eggs you have I dont think thats going to make much difference to most with fertility issues. Most of us would have eggs but its the quality of them that counts plus a whole host of other issues that contribute to a successful pregnancy. If anything it could result in more women putting off baby making mistakenly believing that as they have lots of eggs they have lots of years to do it in. Without the test there are already women who think they can have babies late in life as they hear of other women that do but the reality is that many of them had to have fertility treatment to get there and that there are many that it doesnt work for. This test will just add to the number of women seeking fertility treatment in their late 30's up.
    Last edited by Amara; 21-02-2010 at 15:41.

Baldie's Mum is offline <--- Tommy Campbell, T.C, Baldie.....whatever you call him, he is ours!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    ummm i have mixed feelings. To me, society is getting older as it is, and if women have the ability to wait even longer, could be very bad for society and for the children. I know you can die at anytime, but, you have more of a risk of dying when your older........iykwim.

If you wait till your 40 to have kids, your 60 when your kids 20........

I dont know, just my opinion......................

SpotTheOcelot is offline 'Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It would be a wonderful invention... if only number of eggs was the only underlining issue of infertility.

Nice little money maker for the company who sells this, as the 'fertility market' is full of people willing to pay for an answer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I read about that in the paper today.

i think they said it would be available from this year, at a cost of about $65.

While it's not a definitive test of fertility, it sounds like a useful tool. I had my son at 28, after conceiving on the first attempt.

I don't intend to have another child for some time, but I would like to know whether my eggs are rapidly diminishing as that might hurry me along for another.

I have a friend who's 32, who intends to wait until she's at least 35 to try for a baby. that would be useful for her as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it's great as alot of women on my mothers side go through menopause early, my mother ended up with me and my twin sister at 39 because she was going through menopause at the time and the same thing happened with her sister,
    So presuming I only spit out one egg at a time this would give me a rough idea of how much longer I will be able to decide to have children (I think anyways now 100 percent sure)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As some of the other posts have stated, there are so many factors that can effect fertility - I would not rely on a good result in this test alone to put off starting a family.

Even those women with a good supply and quality eggs can experience infertility. There are so many other things that can make it difficult to conceive. I feel that a good result on a test could falsely give women the idea that they will be "safe" to delay motherhood.

After struggling to fall pregnant with "unexplained infertility" I know that age and quality/quantity of eggs are not the only key to falling pregnant successfully.

RoarsomeMum is offline Right to speak, responsibility to listen..
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sperm is not the only fertility issue, yet thank god for Sperm Analysis.

Hormones are not the only fertility issue, but I am grateful for the ability to test them

Cysts on the ovaries are not always even a fertility issue, but I was glad to know we can test for them.

Temping will not always help get us pregnant, but YAY! Something else to try.

It's a great advancement, and will help many people in a myriad of ways. I for one am to her it is going to be avaliable, FINALLY!!!!!

Sure, it is not an immediate cure or solution to infertility.. but lets face it guys.. it's multifaceted.. we need many different tests available to see what each of our individual issues are. (and knowing I am not going into menopause would be great!)