+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How big was your babys head and did you have a natural birth

Throught the pregnancy I had people looking at my belly and saying "big baby" and been asked if I am going to have twins.

I did have one woman comment and say that she had a 9 pound baby and didn't look that big.

I ended up having extra ultrasounds to find out how big the baby was and they wanted to induce me because of the size. In the ultraound DD was 3.7kg at 30 something weeks. I had one a week before and they measured baby at 3.6kg.

I had people saying that I would have not been able to birth her because of her weight. My DD was 4145g when she was born. Her head circ was 36.5cm. I am just curious how big is the average head size of a newborn.

I was induced and ended up with an emergency c-section due to a long 20 hours labour and DD getting stuck in a Posterior position as well. Was in hospital from monday and had her on thursday morning, took that long to be induced. Had cervidal tablet once, gel twice and the drip.
    Last edited by Sugarplum2809; 18-02-2010 at 13:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS was only a little smaller, at 4.05kg with a 36cm head circumference.

He was birthed naturally without any tearing or need for drugs. Because he was a bit on the porky side he got stuck several times on the way out! LOL

(Oh, and in case it's relevant, I'm only 5ft 2in and weigh about 60kg)
    Last edited by NonnyMouse; 18-02-2010 at 13:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mia2809 View Post
    Throught the pregnancy I had people looking at my belly and saying "big baby" and been asked if I am going to have twins.

I did have one woman comment and say that she had a 9 pound baby and didn't look that big.

I ended up having extra ultrasounds to find out how big the baby was and they wanted to induce me because of the size. In the ultraound DD was 3.7kg at 30 something weeks. I had one a week before and they measured baby at 3.6kg.

I had people saying that I would have not been able to birth her because of her weight. My DD was 4145g when she was born. Her head circ was 36.5cm. I am just curious how big is the average head size of a newborn.

I was induced and ended up with an emergency c-section due to a long 20 hours labour and DD getting stuck in a Posterior position as well. Was in hospital from monday and had her on thursday morning, took that long to be induced. Had cervidal tablet once, gel twice and the drip.
    tiana, 3890g, head 36.5cm. length 54cm. not a single tear or graze!

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh yeah im 5ft 3, normal weight about 50kgs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mia2809 View Post
    I was told the average newborn head circ is 36cm.

I can't believe people said you wouldn't be able to birth her because of her weight....4145g isn't big IMO, just a bit over average. It's my understanding that an "average" newborn weight is around 3.5 kg. My DS was 3.485g (7lb 11oz), and his head circ was 35cm. I had a tiny tear but didn't require stitches, it healed easily on its own.

My friend birthed a ten pound baby naturally with no tears/grazes, and his head was 38 cm!!! The female body is amazing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How bout you find a birth announcement thread (any one will do) and look at all the stats in there. People usually put weight/head/length and mention if it was a natural or surgical birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All natural labour, no drugs

36cm HC.
    3.5kg
    57cm long

I did have tearing, but only because the little bugger decided he wanted to fly out and the midwife had to catch him!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ANonnyMouse View Post
    DS was only a little smaller, at 4.05kg with a 36cm head circumference.

He was birthed naturally without any tearing or need for drugs. Because he was a bit on the porky side he got stuck several times on the way out! LOL

(Oh, and in case it's relevant, I'm only 5ft 2in and weigh about 60kg)
    Sorry I just had to laugh at the parallels between us. My DD had EXACTLY the same measurements when born, 4050 grams and 36cm head.

I'm also 5 foot 2!

Oh and I'm into homebirthing and anti-vax too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds 37.5 2nd degree tearing ( more to do ith the fact that once he crowned, his entire body came out all at once)
    Dd 35.5 No tearing or grazing.

Both vaginal births with gas only.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaBleech View Post
    Sorry I just had to laugh at the parallels between us. My DD had EXACTLY the same measurements when born, 4050 grams and 36cm head.

I'm also 5 foot 2!

Oh and I'm into homebirthing and anti-vax too

Was he 54cm long?

If you tell me your labour was 102 minutes from go to whoa I'll have to charge you with identity theft! LOL

Geez - you even live in the same suburb I was in last!