+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default phone plan for mobile and calls within Aus?

Does anybody know of a low-cost home phone plan that offers cheap calls to Australian landlines and mobiles? I very rarely make local calls but I find I'm losing touch with friends interstate because it's too expensive to call on my mobile all the time (and too expensive for them to call me!)

Any suggestions? I've tried calling cards but it's very hard to chat on a public phone with a two-year-old in tow! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Telstra, they offer the homeline ultimite where you pay $89 per month but get free std and local calls, also you only pay 50 cents to telstra mobiles for up to 20 mins and $1.50 to all other mobiles for 20 mins. I hope that helps.

BabyPaparazzi is offline Children are constantly changing, Parent as constantly adapting
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You could look into a voip (voice over internet protocol) system, it runs through your internet connection, so the calls are either free or dirt cheap, especially for std. I am pretty sure you can get voip packs at places like harvey norman.

We have fibre optic in our area and our phone system runs through it so very similar to voip and we only pay 18c for std calls. The company we use is Internode, unsure what other plans they do and/or if they have voip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is voip similar to skype? I've tried skype but there is always a delay (I think it only recognises only one speaker at a time so if you accidentally talk at the same time or even say 'uh huh', it blanks out the other person)... makes it difficult for some "important" phone calls.

Does the same thing happen with voip?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    VOIP is not the same as skype. my dad and my sisters have VOIP and it is REALLY cheap. Worth looking into, and researching who offers it n your area. I'm a big fan of using local companies - eg in Adelaide I love Adam and Internode.

Thanks
    Reviews
    voip you use your normal handset, skype you have to be on the computer via a headset and the other person has to have skype too. with voip the other person doesn't have to have voip.

if you can get broadband you can get voip. i reccommend mynetphone for good rates. unfortunately i can't get broadband where I live satellite and voip don't go well together

checkout whirlpool.net.au for heaps of great help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by little bean View Post
    I've tried skype but there is always a delay (I think it only recognises only one speaker at a time so if you accidentally talk at the same time or even say 'uh huh', it blanks out the other person)... makes it difficult for some "important" phone calls.

Does the same thing happen with voip?
    there is a slight delay with voip but none of the 'cancelling each other out' business