+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Your tips for natural birth in a hospital

Hi Everyone,

Since the birth of my daughter I have been inspired to write a blog about natural birth in the hope that it may provide useful information to other women.

The reason I am writing here today is that I would like to do a post on giving birth naturally in hospital. I had a homebirth myself, so rather than just hypothesize about what may help in a hospital environment I thought I would put it out there on the forum and ask you what your experiences were. Did you take a doula or midwife? Items from home that made you feel more comfortable? music, candles etc? Did the time that you arrived at the hospital make a difference to how you progressed? Did hospital procedures threaten the outcome of you birth and if so, how did you overcome that?
    Any experiences on giving birth naturally in hospital would be fascinating to me (and I am sure to others) Look forward to hearing your stories. Thank you
    Last edited by Mod-Shakeyshake; 10-02-2010 at 23:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hi there,

Great idea!

I've had two hospital births, in the same hospital, totally different experiences. If you'd like to read about them, the second is here and the first is here

In my opinion, the things that made a difference the second time round were:
    -Going public rather than private. My OB was a complete waste of money 1st time around.
    -Having a doula. Can you put a price on having someone experienced in birth, telling you you'll do a great job and talking through your worries?
    -Having pre/early labour at home
    -really doing your research on the "risks" of natural birth vs interventions (ie you don't have to believe eveything you hear, and "they" can't always make you do things that you don't want to!
    -Reading lots of positive stories & asking for help here, on the Hub. I'm tremendously grateful to the ladies on this section for their encouragement, wisdom & support

Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I pretty much just did my research and insisted on what I wanted - telling them I knew the risks, etc and I had made an informed decision.

I really looked into my ob and made sure his beliefs about birth matched mine.

I got to know the midwives really well.

The hospital I chose also matched my beliefs.

HTH

Em

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hiring a wonderful Doula was by far the smartest thing I did. You can not place a $ figure on the knowledge and support such a person can provide. Mine spent 3 nights away from her husband and kids to be with me while I laboured - now that is commitment!

In addition to this:
    • Research, research, research
    • understand that hospitals are businesses, they need to make money and you are a client
    • Go public, with midwifery care
    • Avoid unnecessary (routine) tests in order to avoid being labelled 'high risk' - if you are not!
    • Write a birth plan (I had 2, one if it went the way I planned and 1 for if it went wrong ie c-section)
    • Refuse induction (unless there is a DAMN good reason)
    • Labour at home for as long as you are comfortable, and then some
    • Be clear as to why you want a natural (drug/intervention free) birth. If you truly believe it is the best thing for you and your baby you will be that much stronger.
    • Stay home! I wish I had!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Ladies,
    Thanks so much for your responses. I thought maybe I wasn't going to get any as apparently I broke the rules by mentioning my blog. Ooops! Bec, it was wonderful to read your birth stories, I will definitely be linking to them for other people to read. It is very good to read comparisons from the same person. As for the other tips, they are invaluable. Thank you all. I wish I could show you the link to my blog, but nevermind

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Go public.

Only see an ob if you have a high risk.

Refuse intervention unless caregivers explain why it is absolutely necessary.

Induction is for when you or your baby need to end the pregnancy- not for if your timetables differ from those of the hospital.

Choose midwifery based care.

Educate yourself. Lots. When you think you know it all, research some more.

Have a doula.

Labour at home for as long as you possibly can.

Write a birth plan and have others proof read it for you before the day- post it here for help/comments.

Refuse to be cared for by negative/nasty/ tutting caregivers.

Learn as much as you can about breastfeeding. For most who are advocates of total natural birth, breastfeeding and birth go hand in hand. It, like birth, can be adversely affected if you are not educated enough about the process. You need to know BEFORE the birth as you usually start feeding very soon after delivery.

Don't take support people who are not educated or who may adversely affect your experience. This is about the person having the baby first and foremost. Mothers will often want their daughters to have drugs to help pain (what mum can see their child in pain?) and although they love you, are often not the best support for you in labour. You need support people who know what you want and why. Doula's are fantastic. Take your partner. Make sure they are educated. If you need more than that, take a loyal friend, who will fight for you and tell you the truth. My best supporter is a friend who told me "suck it up, you are a tough bish and I know that you can do this". I did, I am and I did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first in a hospital and the biggest thing that threw me was the lack of stuff to get comfy with, like I had had at home before going in to the hospital.

eg

I wanted to be on the floor, on my hands and knees. There were no mats, cushions or bean bags, so I knelt for heaven knows how long on hard linoleum floors til my knees were worse than the contractions.. On the bed, there was nothing to lean into to help me feel secure - i felt like I was going to fall off because it was skinny and high. I needed a big cushion or a bean bag.

This time I found out whether the hospy did or did not have these things- they dont. So, I am taking 2 big foam offcuts from clarke rubber (one for floor in birthing room, and one for the floor in shower) and a bean bag.

Plus - what everyone else has said about being educated about anything and everythig, including any routine interventions and knowing what to ask 1. why is it being suggested? 2. what is the risk to me or the baby if I dont have it? 3. what is the risk to me or baby if I do have it? 4. what might happen if we just wait an hour?. Have your support person versed up to ask this on your behalf as it all gets a bit crazy

stay home as long as you can. Then stay for a bit longer . As soon as you get in it feels like you are 'on the clock' and if you dont prgress fast enough watch out someone will be chasing you with a crochet hook and an IV drip...