Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can I have a C-Section in a public system?

Hi mums and mums to be,

I am TTC at the moment but an getting am very nervous. I can be honest with everyone here and say that the one thing that is making me nervous is the way that bubs comes into the world.
    I could never, ever in a million years have a vaginal delivery, never, ever ever. It frightens me to death. I will never even contemplate giving birth this way. To all the mums that do, you are my heros, i soooo wish i could do it but i know i cant.
    So my question is, i want to have a c-section, i know that i cannot mentally give birth any other way, so can i have a c-section in the public system? I have heard how expensive private health insurance is, even when you are insured, it seems like a joke to me. Please tell me if i can have a c-section in the public system? I am getting so nervous and i might be pregnant...... if i cannot have a c-section in the public system then i will have to go abroad which i dont want to do...
    I am crying now i am so nervous...
    Please bubhub mums, i need your advice...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am sorry to say but I am not sure. I hope someone else can help you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you considered getting some counselling to help with this? The reason why they will try and discourage a c/section is that physically it is unnecessary surgery and riskier for you. Talk to the doctor on your first visit to the hospital, I'm sure they won't have any problems with doing the c/section if you explain your situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    in a public system they will only do a cs as a last resort and only wen really neccessary! this is wat i got told anyway! but ask the doc and hospital ...hope it all goes well

Bron is offline Accentuate the positive
    WINNER 2006 Most Politically Correct Member
    Winner 2007 & 2008 Funniest member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Generally speaking, in most hospitals, they will not perform a c-section on a public patient unless it is clinically necessary. However, private patients are another story altogether, and if you are a private patient you can choose to have a c-section and indeed some practitioners would actively encourage you to do so.

But, this policy could vary between hospitals.

I agree with Happy Lady, perhaps you need to discuss your fears with someone who is trained to help with these issues.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    usually the public system won't do it unless there is a medical reason for it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know here in Adelaide you can definitely have an elective C-section in the public system........not sure about there up in Qld though.

Sometimes I wonder that if some Mums anxiety about a VB is so high - then that's a medical reason for a C-section anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Missus S
    I know here in Adelaide you can definitely have an elective C-section in the public system........not sure about there up in Qld though.

Sometimes I wonder that if some Mums anxiety about a VB is so high - then that's a medical reason for a C-section anyway.
    flinders won't really do it unless theres a medical reason

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Missus S
    Hi Peaches, I have had 3 e/c in a public hospital ~ for medical reasons though, but I read in another thread something about someone saying that all females that have given birth in her family have had very bad experiences with vbs and the doc didn`t ask anymore questions, so maybe you could use that as well. And like Missis S wrote maybe just the fact that you have high anxiety about the issue could work for you also when you do conceive.. Take Care..

M O P is offline the best kind of prize is a surprise
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peaches
    if i cannot have a c-section in the public system then i will have to go abroad which i dont want to do...
    hi Peaches,
    I do feel for you. It must be a terrible feeling. I was recently reading about this very thing in Mother&Baby mag. They suggested seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist to work through the problem. Maybe talk to your gp about it.

Just wondering where you'd go overseas, and why you'd do this? Would this too be an expensive option?

Have a look in to your private insurance options. We pay $120 a month, covers obs. You need to be in the fund for atleast year before most will pay out for this though, and yes, you still have charges on top of that. Our obs was about $1000 as an example and we had $500 excess for the hospital. Don't forget though you can claim back from Medicare for some of the charges, obs, paed, anesthetist, and there is the Medicare Safety Net to claim back from when you reach a certain amount of gap payments in a calender year, for us it is $1000 but is less for some people.