+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Do you think that subsidised hours should be dropped?

When children are of school age, do you think that subsidised hours for non-working, non-studying parents should be dropped below 24 hours/week?

Using full time after school care, in a long daycare centre, usually equates to 17.5 hours. That's 5 days worth of use.

So do you think that the hours should be dropped so that parents of school aged children who are not working, studying or otherwise, to allow just 2 days of use?

For those using long daycare with children under school age, 24 hours usually means just 2 days of subsidised care.

So after explaining it as best I can right now do you think it's reasonable to leave it at 24 hours, meaning that parents can use it 5 days a week as well as a couple of mornings of before school care, without going over that 24 hours? Or do you think it should drop when they get to school age?

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If they are not working, lookng for work, studying and are well, and there kids are in full time school then dont think they should need that much substidsed time.

If the kids are at school 5 days a week from what 9 to 3 then thats plenty tme for cleaning, washing, shopping cooking and also time to them selfs. Personaly I wouldnt think they would need after school care at all. But hey thats coming from a mum who has to be with her ll one 24 7, even had to go to school with her. So maybe im a tad harsh lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, what about the holidays?

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    Nope, what about the holidays?

I didnt think of that lol, But how much me time does a parent really need ??, Im askng that honeslty as I have no idea. Whats ideal I would of thought 2 days a week would be mint ( actualy I would be happy with a couple of hours and a hot coffee lol ) but then like I said I have no idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know either, because honestly I just don't want her to be at school when I'm not working! Of course she does go and she loves it and is doing great, I wouldn't let her think that I want her home with me when she's meant to be at school

Over the holidays she comes to work with me and is with me while I'm there, not in a different part.

What about those needing work who are turning down job after job because they are full time and there's no after school care available and there are families using after school care who only qualify for the 24 hours of subsidised care which means they can use it for 5 afternoons and a couple of mornings a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand what you are saying Mumma bear but I think all childcare should be completely free and provided for by the government.

I think everyone who wants / needs it should get it. So to me it shouldn't matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand what you are saying Mumma bear but I think all childcare should be completely free and provided for by the government.

I think everyone who wants / needs it should get it. So to me it shouldn't matter.

now that would be lovely, Would that include Mik would they also supply her a nurse prety please, if so I would vote you for president heheheh.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok, but until there are enough childcare spaces to cater to ALL children, do you think the hours for those not working, studying, or looking for work should be dropped so those who need to work can access childcare rather than turning down perfectly good, full time jobs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikenzees mum View Post
    now that would be lovely, Would that include Mik would they also supply her a nurse prety please, if so I would vote you for president heheheh.
    I'd look after her she's beautiful!

Why can't you get childcare MM? I used to look after a little boy with cerebral palsy in a childcare centre and he was non-verbal, PEG fed, had no control over any of his body parts, and I had him one on one but within the childcare room. I had to feed him, give him his meds, do nappy changes, and assist him with various fun activities and read books, he loved Dr Seuss! I wasn't paid by the childcare centre, I was paid by the government to be his carer and was not a staff member as far as ratios were worked out in the room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikenzees mum View Post
    Yep she sure would, I would also give you a full time nurse at home, so you could have a nice break.

Ok, but until there are enough childcare spaces to cater to ALL children, do you think the hours for those not working, studying, or looking for work should be dropped so those who need to work can access childcare rather than turning down perfectly good, full time jobs?
    I think we expect to much of mums these days, and if they need a break they should get one.

I do feel that those studying and working should get preference in the current system.