+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default No wine with dinner for under 18's, says MP

No wine with dinner for kids, says MP

• February 03, 2010 1:53PM

PARENTS should be fined for giving their own children under 18 a glass of wine with dinner, a federal Liberal MP said.

It is illegal under state laws for people to give alcohol to minors without parental consent.
    But Liberal backbencher Luke Simpkins wants to go further and have parents fined for giving any kind of liquor to their own children before they reach adulthood.
    "Given it is illegal for pubs and clubs to supply alcohol ... to persons under 18 ... that should be extended to all parents," Mr Simpkins said today, adding MPs from both sides of politics supported his call.
    "Given brain development and maturity levels, it would be an excellent idea that it should just not be allowed lock, stock and barrel."
    Asked if this would include a glass of wine with dinner, the father of two said: "That would be the right way to go."
    Mr Simpkins said children introduced to alcohol at a younger age developed alcoholism later in life.
    "I certainly won't be allowing my kids to have alcohol until they are 18," he said.
    The Perth-based MP told a Lower House inquiry into youth violence today the law should be changed so parents are banned from giving alcohol to their own children.
    The Australian Hotels Association told the same committee that while drinking levels were dropping during the week, people were binge drinking with more "intensity" on weekends, leading to more violent incidents.
    "I feel sorry for the security staff," national president Tom McGuire said.
    Several states have laws banning the supply of alcohol to minors, including Queensland which fines licensed premises up to $18,750 for each offence.
    http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225826359502

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmmm. I really don't know how I feel about this...on the one hand I agree because alcoholism in our youth has become such a massive problem, but on the other hand I completely disagree. I'm kind of conflicted about it to be honest.

My parents allowed me to taste wine with dinner from about the age of 12-13. When I say taste, I mean a couple of sips. However, from the age of about 15, most weekends I would have half a glass or sometimes even a full glass with dinner. My mum cooks amazing food, so me, mum and dad would sit around the dining table for hours (my glass of wine would last HOURS lol) just eating, talking, sharing stories etc. Some of the nicest memories of time spent with my folks includes these times. I wasn't getting drunk and as I said, a glass of wine would last me a very long time and I know for sure that if I ever asked for more at the age, the answer would of been no I developed an appreciation of wine quite young...with my parents guidance, so I guess that's why I'm conflicted when it comes to this issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I can see the sense in this.

How can you tell your underage child that it is fine to drink illegally at home but not to do so whilst out with friends? How is someone loaded up with hormones and peer pressure supposed to be able to distinguish the two scenarios? It would be far too confusing for them.

Then, I can see the other side of it where parents would prefer to see their kids drink at home than out in public and risking dangerous behaviour and perhaps they think that if they allow such things at home then their kids wont feel the need to rebel and drink to extremes later on.

I was out of home at 17 so I would drink whenever I liked anyways but I was allowed a drink at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm just wondering what people view as an appropriate age to start giving their kids alcohol. This mother thinks that 5 is a good age to start them on shots http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaBear03 View Post
    I'm just wondering what people view as an appropriate age to start giving their kids alcohol. This mother thinks that 5 is a good age to start them on shots http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin
    Already posted Mummabear on that story here
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...d.php?t=319509

My neighbours were allowed shandies when in their teens when a party or something (going back 30-40 years ago though now and sometimes were allowed a small wine when older - have to say i wasnt allowed to drink at home but did out in pubs etc (used to roadie for bands doing lights) i easily passed for 18
    Last edited by Miaow; 03-02-2010 at 16:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think Luke is onto a good thing

Teegzie is offline in Wonderland with my little Alice!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is basically just a knee jerk reaction to the Mum who got her 5year old so drunk he couldn't talk isn't it? I mean it's not really something that can be policed. It's just a way of punishing the people who do the wrong thing to extreme measure (like the Mum with the 5 year old) right?
    Don't get me wrong I think it is great that they want to be able to make an example of people like this woman, but no one actually believe that fines are practical or realistic for parents who give their kids a few sips of wine when they are 17 do they?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Fine with me really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Teegzie View Post
    This is basically just a knee jerk reaction to the Mum who got her 5year old so drunk he couldn't talk isn't it? I mean it's not really something that can be policed. It's just a way of punishing the people who do the wrong thing to extreme measure (like the Mum with the 5 year old) right?
    Don't get me wrong I think it is great that they want to be able to make an example of people like this woman, but no one actually believe that fines are practical or realistic for parents who give their kids a few sips of wine when they are 17 do they?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miaow View Post
    Already posted Mummabear on that story here
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...d.php?t=319509

My neighbours were allowed shandies when in their teens when a party or something (going back 30-40 years ago though now and sometimes were allowed a small wine when older - have to say i wasnt allowed to drink at home but did out in pubs etc (used to roadie for bands doing lights) i easily passed for 18
    Sorry, missed that thread obviously!