+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default elective c section in public system

DH and I have started discussions on baby no 2 and when we should start ttc etc.

one of the things we have been discussing is whether we have the bub privately or in the public system. DD1 was born privately and cost us an absolute fortune. She was 10 weeks prem and thus we paid for costs for the emergency c section, for the blood tests everyday, for paed visits every day etc. dont get me wrong she was worth every penny but our out of pocket expenses were enormous. i dont think we could afford all of that again, espec if you now get very little back for your obst fees cos of the changes to the medi care levy this year.

anyway the point of this thread is to ask if you can have an elective c section in the public system? last time was an emergency c section and i dont want to try for a vbac with bub 2. has anyone been in a similar situation? if going in the public system means a vbac then i will have to think about private again.

thanks in advance!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't think it's impossible, but I think it might be difficult.

You might want to start saving for private hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It really depends on the doctors you see. Some will push you to have a VBAC or try for it, others are happy to ask you whether you'd want to try and if not, accept your response. I had both of mine public and the second was planned c-section. In Sydney where we started off, they expected me to have a VBAC regardless, although when I came out to our regional town, they asked me about what I wanted. It wasn't until later on that they decided it was the best choice to have a repeat caesar due to concerns they had, but even before that I could have chosen to have the elective caesar.

I don't think they'll let you have one for a first baby most of the time, but if you've had one already you may be able to swing it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD1 was born in Vic (public) via emergency caesar. We moved to NSW and I went public again. The midwifes tried to talk me out of an elective, but I simply ignored them and asked to speak to an OB. He agreed immediately, no trying to talk me out of it.

The only thing they were strict on was it had to be after 39 weeks, and on a Tuesday! Thats the day they did electives. That was scary, as I was then initally booked for 39w, 6 days and I though that I would go early (DD1 was 2 days after EDD). They assured me that they would still do a caesar if I went into labour (as long as I got there soon enough). I then had GD so it was brought fwd to 38w, 6 days.

I then had the option to transfer to a private hospital for recovery, but instead I just had a private room in the public hospital.

I was so worried when I was pregnant with DD2, I knew the only option for me was a caesar - my first birth was so traumatic, when the surgeon took over and did the caesar, it finally felt 'right'. I would have borrowed money to go private if I was refused public. Good luck with it all, and hopefully you can find somewhere that suits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The hospital I went to with my second, the doctors pretty much enforced that I have an 'elective' caesar, as my first ended up as a caesar. They were very happy to do elective caesarians.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The vic public hospital that my son was born at did them. They did them on tuesdays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    anyway the point of this thread is to ask if you can have an elective c section in the public system? last time was an emergency c section and i dont want to try for a vbac with bub 2. has anyone been in a similar situation? if going in the public system means a vbac then i will have to think about private again.

I wanted to have an elective c-section in the public system. I had a VB last time and was denied at the 2 only nearby local hospitals. However, I was told that that generally in the public system, you're only granted a c-section if you either need one for medical reasons OR if you've previously had a c-section.

So, the fact you've had one before may actually help you so it's definitely worth trying in the public system before you go private. We've had to go private and it's very expensive as you know, definitely worth the money, but nonetheless it's a lot of money. I'd definitely state your reasons for wanting a c-section clearly and obviously let them know you've been through it before, hopefully that'll be enough for them to agree to doing a c-section in the public system so you're not up for $$$$$

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It will depend on this hospital, but you shouldn't have too much trouble getting an elective caesar through the public system, given that your first was an emergency c-section. Usually it's the ladies that want to try for a vbac that have trouble getting what they want. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD1 was an emergency ceasar (public Hospital) and DD2 was an elective at the same hospital - Box Hill in Vic and did not have to pay anything. I'm now preg with baby number 3 and looking at having another ceasar in a public hospital, a different hospital to the other 2 though as we have moved. Having had a previous ceasar you should have no worries having an elective for number 2. I actually didn't even think that public hospitals denied ceasars that are due to medical reasons or previous ceasars. If you're concerned though, maybe speak to your local hospital and find out what their stance is on it. Good Luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Both my kids were born in public, my DD was an emergency cs. This time round I am going in for what they call an elective cs (its recommended but they still call it elective ).

But yes, I am in the public system and I have been given the choice. I guess it depends on your care provider too. I am lucky with my Dr as he is a ob/gp and I seem to get all the benefits of a private system with no price attached (my Dr, my choice, private room etc etc).

I guess the best thing to do is ask them.

Good luck!