+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Has anyone had success with a stretch and sweep?

Hi all.
    I am now 40 +2 weeks pregnant with my second baby. I went in for my 40 week check today and the midwife was not sure if baby was in breach position so she sent us up to labour ward to have a quick scan. While there the midwife offered a stretch and sweep.
    Not knowing alot about it I agreed- we are desperate to have this baby asap! She said my cervix was very 'ready', my waters were bulging and I was about 3 cms dialated. Now I am wondering if how much longer? Does it always work? Is there any not so nice side effects? Is it like being induced with the gel or membraine rupture?

Sorry for all the questions it was a spur of the moment desicion I'd just like to hear others experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DS2 I was 40+5 had stretch & sweep - he was born 12 hours later (3 hr labour)

DD I had stretch & sweep at 40+1 - she arrived 6 hours later (2 hour labour)

So yep they worked for me!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i think it worked....i was given a SS and I had bubs 2 days later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohh sounds promising! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    With DS2 I was 40+5 had stretch & sweep - he was born 12 hours later (3 hr labour)

DD I had stretch & sweep at 40+1 - she arrived 6 hours later (2 hour labour)

So yep they worked for me!!!!
    May I ask did your labours start the same as your first one? Or is it simular to being induced? I was induced with DD1 and the labour came on hard and fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was just about to post the same thing!!!

I am also 40 + 2 and had a Stretch and Sweep done today. My midwife said i was 1 to 2 cm dilated and said that this should "stir things up a bit". I had it done when i was a week over with DS2 and i went into labour 24 hours later. (but i could of been because he was so overdue?)
    So like you my fingers are crossed that our babies come soon!!! I love to have an Australia day bub

Have you been feeling anything since your S & S ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi maybe1more so you are still waiting like me. lets hope these S&S helps us meet our little ones soon.

My stretch and sweep was only done at about 1.30pm. I have not been feeling much but had a tiny bit of pink when wiping (sorry TMI). The midwife said to expect some period like cramping and a 'show'. She also suggested DTD tonight and also nipple stimulation to help things along. So we will be trying all measures to get this baby out into the world

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone else?

Guest Guest
    I was in pre-labour when I had it done and it worked immediately. My waters were already leaking though and I was 2cm fully effaced, so it just helped put me into established labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i dont think it works, i think ur cervix has to be 'ripe' for it 2 work, with dd i had a s&s at 39wks+5,then again a week later at my anntenatal appointment,first one didnt do anything,after the second s&s i went home and had a show, 3 days later stil no baby had another on the fri,and was booked in to be induced for the following tue at 1pm,mia finially decided to come on monday nite my waters broke at 4am, went 2 hospital and was induced anyway and she was born at 245pm on tue 24th june