ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Do non-Christians have the right to whinge about the religious meaning of Easter?

And Christmas for that matter?

Do you think that non-Christians, who also mostly celebrate these occasions, have the right to complain about the religious meaning of them? Like those cards that are out for Easter with quotes from the bible and things like that in them, or Christmas cards with a picture of the birth of Jesus on the front? Or angels? Or even, for that matter, looking at lights when they have things like "Jesus is the reason for the season" and "Jesus loves you" and other such things.

Should Christians give up on these messages, or should non-Christians be more tolerant?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I definitely believe non-Christians should be more tolerant. And I often wonder, if they don't believe in the reason behind the holiday, why do they celebrate it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have never heard of it bothering anyone if it isn't forced on people.

So if you mean that it is out there in the shops and such and people can choose to buy it or not?

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi mummabear03, I think christians and non christians, should just let live and let live. No-one is going to change the celebrations, If the non Christians dont want any "Christ" in the celebrations then they can do it their way. For myself, "Jesus is the Reason for the Season", and it will always be so. I send religious christmas cards and Easter cards, and I attend my church, I dont complain if others dont do so. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, came across it today, people whinging about this religious message in an Easter card, like it had no place being there. It made me remember the time a couple of years ago when we walked through a street with lots of Christmas displays, one of them had the nativity scene, a big cross, and a lit up message that said "Jesus is the reason for the season" and another group of people walking down the same street made comments about how inappropriate it is to push that message onto people. They also then went on about bumper stickers on cars with religious messages, how they should be illegal, filling people's minds with rubbish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a grumpy atheist, but don't care what people write in their greetings cards.

I can't think many atheists would really care less.

As to the bumper stickers, I'm all for freedom of expression as long as it's not some vile hateful rubbish (eg. anti-gay sentiments).

I saw a fun one the other day. It was a jesus-type fish but it had legs and (I think) Darwin written inside it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    everyone has the right to whinge

I personally would be p!ssy if people insisted on sending me those messages, at least if they then also handwrote things like 'remember to accept jesus as your saviour' inside them. (but that then goes more into the realms of being 'pushy' about your religion, than simply mentioning it)

i do think non-christians who complain about people celebrating the birth of jesus at christmas, and the death/ressurection of jesus at easter, are just whinging for no reason. It IS a religious holiday.
    If you want to whinge about the fact that it was a pagan holiday first, and there are no nice 'pagan themed' cards available, that i can understand.
    but yeah, religious holidays are kind of based on religions, even if you choose not to celebrate the religious parts of them (gosh i'm longwinded )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaBear03 View Post
    And Christmas for that matter?

Do you think that non-Christians, who also mostly celebrate these occasions, have the right to complain about the religious meaning of them? Like those cards that are out for Easter with quotes from the bible and things like that in them, or Christmas cards with a picture of the birth of Jesus on the front? Or angels? Or even, for that matter, looking at lights when they have things like "Jesus is the reason for the season" and "Jesus loves you" and other such things.

Should Christians give up on these messages, or should non-Christians be more tolerant?
    I think a lot of people should be more tolerant of others religious beliefs.
    Sadly there are so many intolerant people out there. As a Christian I like reading those messages. I love nativity scenes and I don't think we should give up on these messages.
    I tend to keep my religious beliefs to myself because even I find it frustrating to be preached to. I hate being bailed up when I go shopping so people can preach their beliefs to me. I can seriously say it turns me off their religion. It NEVER even makes me curious about their beliefs. I get so frustrated by it, and often say "I have my own beliefs please respect them".
    :skywriter:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think everyone celebrates these things for their own reasons and we should all tolerate each other. Some people like the gift giving/recieveing and the easter egg hunt, others like to remember the religious side of it. Who really cares as long as your happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by supa_star323 View Post
    And I often wonder, if they don't believe in the reason behind the holiday, why do they celebrate it?

presents and chocolate lol