+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First Timer at TTC -- need help, confused about what my bodies doing!!!!

My partner and I have only just started this month trying to conceive, so I've been having a look at BBT and OPK's and such to help me on my way...

Anyway...
    History: I have a 40 day cycle normally, with a period that lasts about 4 days, usually rather heavy and containing a lot of clots... this is normal for me. Because up until this past year my cycle was never really very normal, I always tracked when my periods were, but never knew when I ovulated.

My last cycle started December 16, finished December 20.
    Because it wasn't until about 2 weeks ago that my partner and I decided to start ttc, we just jumped into the baby dancing right away, but I wasn't sure when I ovulated.
    I took my sweet time about getting a OPK, but finally went and bought a pack of 7 that would last a week, so I did the test this Wednesday just past, 5 days ago.
    The test came back positive, so my partner and I spent Wednesday, Thursday AND Friday, making like a pair of rabbits.
    On the Thursday afternoon, I had a minor bit of spotting, presumed of course, it was from getting a bit too rough and tumble in the sex play, so ignored it and resumed the sex Friday morning. In this 3 day period we would have made love around 6 times (its really exhausting having sex! LOL)
    Friday afternoon I had more spotting, and have had a very very very light bleeding since then.
    Occasionally, its a little bit heavier, and so I wore a pad. Nothing extremely heavy, the pad got a bit dirty, nothing extreme.
    The stuff thats coming out is NOTHING like my regular periods (as I said before, my usual periods are heavy, bloody and clotty), very light and sometimes pinkish, sometimes brownish, and looks like its watered down.

I'm scared of this bleeding thing! How could I be bleeding so soon after an ovulation test kit came back positive? It's also over a week too soon for me to be having my menses! Does this bleeding mean I have to wait another month to try again?

I haven't tried tracking BBT, as I'm new to this whole thing, and don't quite understand the cycle charting BBT thing ... And initially, I wanted to try it completely naturally, without too much fuss, because it seems like once people start making a fuss about the hows and whens and whys and charts and agonising, that it just doesn't happen and I wanted to take it easy initially.

I just am so confused about what my bodies doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Moondance,

Welcome to BubHub for a start!

My first question to you is are you sure that the OPK was positive? An OPK is different to a pregnancy test in that your test line actually needs to be the same or darker than your control line. If your test line is lighter, then it is negative and you either have already ovulated or are still to ovulate.

Next, are your cycles always 40 days? Are they ever any longer or shorter?

Did you have sex at all prior to shagging like rabbits? Some women get an implantation bleed that can occur earlier than when their period is actually due. It is usually much lighter and often not requiring haemorrhage control! But, with the time line you have provided, this would have started 3DPO which seems just a little bit too early to me...

In regards to BBT, no stress, take your time. The whole TTC thing can be quite confusing. If you're curious, just ask and we can help you out with the basic. Otherwise, Fertility Friend is a really good website to learn!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Moondance

I agree with Green Sprout. It is all very confusing but your in the right place to try and make sense of it all.

In regard to the OPK's this is the first time I've used them but I too would like to know if you know if it was a positive? I've added a link below for you to have a look as I've taken a pic of all my OPK's lined up next to each other.

As you can see they are all light lines until CD21 where it is the same as the control line. That is my "positive" OPK. After that they all fade out to light lines again. The positive OPK was confirmed by my BBT which had a very obvious thermal shift.

Hope that helps.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/x...llabyOPKCD.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    The OPK was a Forelife! Brand kit, and the test line was DARKER than the control line. I was making sure I knew how to read it by reading the instructions to tell if it is positive while waiting the 5 minutes to take the reading.
    The control line was pink and the test line dark pink.

Picture *HERE*
    (Pictures not good, had to take it with my phone which won't take a clear picture, but the box on the left is the Test and the one on the right is the Control)

We first decided on the 4th that we wanted to start ttc, so on the 4th and 5th we were at it like rabbits (my partner currently lives away from me while the house is being worked on and because of where he is working, so we see each other every week for three days at a time).
    Saw each other again and did the positive test the following week which was 13th, 14th, 15th.

Looking over my menses chart cycle for the past 4 months, its constantly held firm at 40 days. Prior to that it was mostly all over the place and couldn't be relied upon to come at any proper time. It wasn't until late December I even noticed there was a pattern, I was always thinking my periods were a bit late and getting panicky, before I sat down and looked at my chart (using fertility friend's iPhone program) and finally figured out that for 4 months, the cycle count went up to 40 before I got my period, which I found odd... but Oh well.

I'm still bleeding now, when the main light light bleeding started on the Friday. It's still more watery than anything else, and pinkish brown more than blood. Thats why it bothers me, because if it were my periods, it would be BLOODY and messy and disgusting, the kind of thing I have to change my panties AND my pants twice a day for because I bleed so much it sometimes manages to avoid the pad and goes all over my pants and I have accidents...
    THIS is nothing like that, its so light, its only really even noticable when I go to the bathroom!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ultra light bleeding finally finished late yesterday...

I've been doing my BBT at pretty much the same time every day since Saturday, and it started on Saturday at 36.3
    Dropped on Sunday to 36.1
    Dropped on Monday to 35.7
    And yesterday went back up to 36.3 and is still the same today.

Energy levels have been pretty low....

Still confused about this whole thing, as I'm positive last Wednesday that the OPK was positive, the test line was DARKER than the control line. But then to start bleeding on Friday afternoon.... it has me going "wth"

I've been tracking it all on FertilityFriend and as soon as I put into the chart that I had "light" bleeding it changed me to a whole new cycle, when I'm not even sure that it was my menses, as it was so different to my usual menses. Usual menses is messy, very bloody and horrible. This was.... practically nothing in comparison to my usual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep it is all very confusing...Ive been taking my BBT for the past 4 months (3 months before we start TTC) just so i could see a pattern only to discover that I have no pattern! I also have some spotting now and again.
    Fingers crossed this is our month! Good Luck