+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default viable pregnancy or wrong dates?

Hi, would really appreciate some feedback from the forum regarding my situation as I am very confused.
    I normally have a 35 day cycle and keep track of dates as have been trying to fall pregnant for some time.
    Of course, three months ago I kind of gave up hope and stopped Clomid and just left things to fate.
    The first day of my last period was the 29th of November, conception was the 19th December (I know because my Husband spends long periods of time out at sea!). I did three pregnancy tests and they all came back positive.
    We are currently based overseas but whilst in Melbourne for two weeks (home town) I went to see an obstetrician for an early scan (last pregnancy was ectopic which doctors in the Middle East did not diagnose until 16 weeks - hence lost a tube).
    The obstetrician said that based on my last period date I would be 7 weeks pregnant. THe ultrasound showed the sac and he said it didn't look good as he would expect to see more at 7 weeks. (I did advise him of conception date).
    He said that there was an 80% chance that this wasn't a viable pregnancy and not to get my hopes up as it looks as if it had stopped growing, the only way it could be okay was if i got my dates wrong he said.
    Surely if it is only 5 weeks since conception then only a sac would be showing?
    I have to wait until Wednesday for my next scan to see if it has grown at all - but he has already booked me in for a D & C? I am really confused and anxious. THis week's wait is very stressful.
    Also - I asked about doing bloodwork but he said no point until we see if the next scan shows growth.
    Has anyone had a similiar experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I have an irregular cycle but I average 35 days like you. My LMP was on th 18th of November but I did not ovulate until the 9th of December, around day 21 of my cycle (I had a ovulation test kit). Anyway I had a few issues in early pregnancy (bleeding and pain) and went to the ED. My HCG levels were not behaving either. I had a US on the 30th of December it showed only a gestational sac they said I was measuring 5 weeks. I had another scan 4 days later (they did this because I had to leave a city to return to my rural home). The second time it showed a yolk sac and a foetal pole with a heart beat. I would not have a D & C if I were you until after a few follow up US and maybe a study of your HCG levels. Everything I have read suggests folloe up scans prior to a D & C as I have heard sometimes hb's take a while to show. I would also change doctors, as it sounds like this one is not listening to what you say! I hope all is okay with you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldnt have a D&C yet. When I got pregnant with DD I had a period in November 05 then no more periods, then had a positive test in February 06. I had a scan done and they said it was 5 weeks and 4 days and there was only a sac on the scan. I had another scan done at 11 weeks and thee was the baby and she came out fine.
    Cancel the D&C and advise the doctor of the conception date. Then ask for another scan in a couple of weeks because they can usually see a heart beat at 6 weeks onwards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The 'weeks's in pregnancy is not the weeks from conception. Your pregnancy 'starts' about 2 weeks before your conception date!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be looking at the next ultra sound, requesting some bloods and getting a second opinion.....

Good luck......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why didn't you tell the doctor the conception date? I would tell them straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with treasurehim. They would have given you a date of two weeks prior to conception.

Guest Guest
    The sonographer would have put in the date of your last menstrual period which would indicate 7 weeks (They don't measure from conception date) but on a 35 day cycle you would only be 6 weeks or less so I think its still early and you would need another scan to be sure. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree that you are not as far along as the dr suggests and hence should wait and see what happens at the next u/s. Also, just because you may have DTD on the 19th, it doesn't actually mean that you conceived that day - it could have been a couple of days later, making you even less far along. I ovulate around day 20 of my cycle - rather than trying to explain that to them, I just adjust the date of my LMP to be 14 days prior to O date.

Good luck - look forward to hearing great news from your next scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    bubs maybe alright you just didn't conceive when you thought you had, and are a wee bit out

I always had regular cycles, and with all my pregnancies, the same thing as you, with all my scans in the first trimester, i've always measured a week to two weeks out, and they were perfectly fine

try not to stress before your next scan, i'm sure everything will be fine will keep my fingers crossed
    Last edited by Mod-Shakeyshake; 17-01-2010 at 23:32.