Closed Thread
Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congrats Angeleish on 25 weeks!!!! WOW!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Angeleish - congrats on being 25 weeks, seems to have flown by!

Regarding a C-section I thought I'd just share what I've noted down so far. The template also had the suggestion of having the screen lowered so you can witness the birth but I'm sqeamish and if I see them cut me open I'll most likely pass out.

CAESAREAN
    If a caesarean becomes necessary I’d like:

For my partner to be with me
    For discussion to be respectful and minimal - only what is required medically and to inform me of what is happening
    Unless prevented by medical emergency, I would like my baby to be placed on my chest while you complete the procedure
    If the baby needs to be taken away for medical reasons for my partner to accompany them.
    To be sure that a double layer suture is used and not a single layer in order to improve my chances for a future VBAC
    The opportunity to breastfeed our baby in recovery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow - Nikki great work. I hadn't even thought about the suture... just assumed I'd leave it to the ob as he would know what he's doing. (I have no idea about any of this stuff lol). Pretty much everything else sounds pretty similar to what I would put.... don't mind so much on the conversation in the theatre.... might help me keep my mind of things.

Just wondering about one different thing. I know a short while ago someone mentioned doing a 3d, 4d scan at around 28-30ish weeks. Is anyone doing this? I'm in two minds. One part of me doesn't want to do it as I'm kind of looking forward to seeing baby at birth and don't want to ruin the surprise of what he/she looks like. DH has said this too!

The reason I'm thinking of doing it though is that I have my parents visiting around that time and I thought it would be a great way for them to feel as though they are getting involved in the process. (I know they feel a little left out at times as they live interstate). I guess I feel a little guilty at them missing out on the whole pregnancy thing and am keen to find a way to involve them. I know a few of you on here have family that lives interstate/OS... Just curious to know what you girls think!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    angeleish: the whole not bonding with bubs before anyone else is what happened at my first birth. I had a cesear and dd had to go to the nursery as she weighed under 5lb5oz (anything less means automatic nursery in Australia). DH went with her and it was our understanding i would be joining him there after being in recovery. However this was not the case - nursery insisted recovery take me to my room in post natal. DH spent the first several hours with DD (not realizing how much time had passed) and then finally found me and went and got my parents (who didnt know i wasnt with dd) who went straight to the nursery and held DD etc before i had a single cuddle. Due to all the time holding DD after birth DD actually thought DH was the mum and recognized his voice and rooted etc when she heard it. Would turn her head etc but not at all for mine. It was absolutely devastating - and it took me a few months to be able to bond with her because of what had happened. Congrats on 25w too! How exciting!!

nikki08: the cesear part of your birth plan looks really good

About the 3/4D scans. I will be getting one sometime after 28w to help with the bonding for DH and I. We will probably get the 45min package and I'm sure we'll get some extras etc as the woman who owns the only place that does it here is the same woman our FS contracts to do all the IVF scans etc so she knows us well. They do cost a bit but I think DH and I will really need it to start the bonding process due to what we went thru with DD. I know a lot of people bring their parents and even some grandparents and make a big thing out of it. I was planning on doing that with DD and my mum (as she had one of the first u/s done when pg with me due to me being breech so thought it would be cool for her) but we never got there after all the hypertension issues and me going early etc. This time I'm hoping for have our best friend there who's from Argentina and has no family here and who will be an uncle to our child.

Is anyone interested in seeing what a real life cesear entails/looks like? There used to be one on youtube that i can try and find again - tried watching it when pg with dd but couldnt do it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    i watched my caesarean in the reflection of the big light above but dh wouldnt look he was worried he was going to pass out each to their own

Thanks
    Reviews
    angeleish- that was me. I am having my 3d/4d whatever it is lol first week of feb i think. I figured.. i wanna see baby again, and this will probably be my only pregnancy and it would be so nice to have the dvd forever, you know? I don't think it would ruin the suprise at birth but think about it if you are not sure.

girls, u have gven me heaps to think about re birth plans. I am going to have to sit down and have a big think with DH. I have my mind set on a few things, like i realllly want a natural birth and i want it in the bed not squatting etc.. and i would like skin on skin contact once bubs is here.. but that's really all. My sister called me before (she is a nurse at monah and mother of two) and we were talking, I said I definetely didn't want an epidural- but she said if I have a c section I have to have one. WHAT i didnt know that! Epidurals look gross. They freak me out. She also asked me if she could throw me a baby shower- i was like- OHH YES PLEASE! I have been thinking about it lately but am too lazy to arrange lol.

Re the glucose thingy, I got the MW to check my pee last visit 2 weeks ago and I was all good but (TMI) i just got over a little bout of thrush and thought I got it maybe coz my sugar is high? I am a bit of a high risk for this too as am overweight, my sisters both had it.. and I didn't think of it earthangel, and i dont have pcos but I have pco so maybe that contributes? Either way I understand I may get it, i hope not, but i am having a test again in about 2 weeks i think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    angeleish - I too wasn't sure about the conversation bit in theatre as I normally don't mind the distraction, however last time I was in hospital having my lap done I remember the doctors and nurses all chatting to each other about their holidays and what so and so was doing and as I was going under I felt like I was just a 'side show' or completely irrelevant and it didn't feel so great. So I figure if they talk to me fine, but if they just talking about their day like I don't exist while I am waiting for my baby to born I'll be more than a bit peeved.

I think the 3D scan sounds like a nice idea to keep your parents involved, I know it's hard for my mum and sisters not being as involved in the pregnancy as they would like being so far away. I think that while you might get a bit of an idea what they look like, they will look different again when you meet them and in the first few weeks their faces change so much anyway.

Earthangel - I'm so sorry you had to go through an experience like that . My nephew was whisked away for tests after he was born and my sister was being stitched up (natural birth) so she couldn't go with him. She sent her partner but she it really stressed her out. Then he was in a closed crib with UV light for jaundice and she couldn't even hold him or pick him up and she cried for days while in the hospital. I didn't really understand then what she was going through but now I am pregnant I can understand how being separated from your baby who you've been looking after for 9 months is going to go against every fibre in your body. I hope they respect your wishes this time to bond immediately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ally that is soo cool you watched it. i would try to as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    ally - I would love to be able to watch it but I just know I'd start to panic like crazy watching it, so best I just focus on something else like holding the baby.

hopeful - I don't want an epidural but if I have a C-section I know I'll have to have one. Really like you I don't have a huge list of demands apart from wanting to be free to move around during labour and not have an epidural for a natural birth. I think the list is also helpful for DH so he have an input into the labour as well and be part of the process. He likes clear bullet pointed directions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Girls isn't it awesome how far we've come? Listen to us! Chatting about epidurals and caesars and the suchlike. Only a few months ago we were terrified of every little pain or ache or feeling
    Anywho, Angeleish my parents live overseas so when we had the 20 week scan I made sure it was when my Mum would be here for Christmas. And wow she just was ecstatic about it. So you could always ask for a 2d scan just for your folks, and that way they still see heaps and get involved, but you're not seeing as much detail as you would with the 3d/4d so your wish to not actually "see" the baby til he/she is born, is granted! Just an idea.

I'm so glad to hear all your thoughts and stories. I would never have thought about what happens if the baby has to be taken away for tests etc or making sure me & DH are the first to hold our baby so I'm really glad you girls have been talking about this.