+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked
    8
    Reviews
    0

    Default VBAC or elective c- section? Need your help!!

    Hi Ladies!!

    I have already started a thread in the preganacy and birth section, but thought I might start one here as well!!

    I have a couple of questions that Im hoping someone will able to answer for me!!

    I had a emergency c- section with ds2, and am now pregnant with bub no 3 !!

    I would like to try for a Vbac and just wanted to know what happens.... are they able to induce, do they let you go over? or is there anything else you can or cant do?

    And with an elective c- section, do they normally book you in 1 week before your due date, or do they do them closer to your due date now?

    I will be having bubs in a melbourne hospital!!

    Ive been told by the OB who did my c- section at my follow up appointment that it would be in my best interest to have an elective if I have more children, but didnt say that I most def will have to have one... Im so confused and indesicive... I really need to way up the pros and cons... so I would really appreciated if anyone has any info to help me choose the best thing for me and my baby!!!

  2. #2
    Theophania's Avatar
    Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,072
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked
    832
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well if you have had one natural birth and then a cesarean your chances of having a successful VBAC are better than someone who has not had a successful VB. I am not sure what the reason was for you having had the cesarean, but I don't see why you couldn't try for a VBAC (they are safer than a repeat cesarean anyway).

    Try these websites, you should be able to get plenty of information

    www.birthtalk.org
    www.birthrites.org
    www.vbac.com

  3. #3
    leajones22's Avatar
    leajones22 is offline Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked
    59
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think I may have replied to your other thread but just to let you know I had a VBAC with my ds and had to be induced in the end as my waters had broken but my contractions weren't lasting lomg enough only about 30 secs. My ob said that he wouldn't use the gel so they used the drip at half strength.

    Prior to this we had discussed what my options would be and even though he was happy to let me go over by 14days the hospy has a 10day over rule. And inducement would only be done by drip or breaking of waters so my cervix would have to have been favourable for either.

    In the end my waters broke at 39w2d and I was induced at 39w4d and bubs was born the next day so I never went over.

    If you feel that you will be pressured into another c/s ask your ob for your notes and get a second opinion from another ob to see what they think your chances of a vbac would be.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,293
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked
    37
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there.

    Congrats on your pregnancy! How exciting...

    I was recently in the same situation as you, DD1 was born via emergency C-section and i had to make my mind up re VBAC or c-section. I spent most of my pregnancy hoping for a VBAC - but when i was told my baby was quite big (i am quite little) the Drs advised that it would PROBABLY be difficult for me to deliver her vaginally and her head was in a difficult spot also - making the chances of me having to have another emergency csection quite high so i decided i would have an elective - it was the most positve birth experiance i could imagine - and i am 100% happy with the decision.

    TO my understanding i dont think they will induce you, but i am not sure as you have already had a VB.... My csection was booked in for one week prior to my due date,

    It is a really hard decision to make - But im sure you will make the best one!

    Good luck...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,294
    Thanks
    733
    Thanked
    1,236
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was induced at 12 days over and had a vbac - just like you my first was vaginal, 2nd emergency c-section. Best decision ever, recovery from a c-sec is vile with other kids.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked
    8
    Reviews
    0
    Thank you for all your replies!!

    My first bub was a tricky and long labour as he had his arm over his head, back to mine, and was distressed... the midwivies were concerned and there was talk about a c- section but forceps were used to deliver him!!

    With bub number 2 I was quite unwell and on medication from 30 weeks due to high blood pressure!! My waters broke, I went to the hospital, they sent me home that day to see if anything would happen over night, which it didnt so I was back up there the next morning and put on the drip to be induced, with in half an hour to an hour bubs had become distressed, and with out the drip causing the contractions I was pretty much not in labour and my cervix had done nothing!! I was then told I was having a c- section..... which was then found that bubs had a tight knot in his cord (which the doctors etc were very excited about coz they only see it once a year), he was also then taken to SCN were he stayed for 6 days on IV antis as he had something wrong with his blood cells... (cant remember the name)!!

    So there's my story... I have heard that the Dr who did my c/s is very pro VBAC from a few of the ladies on bubhub, so that has me a little concerned why he adviced me to have an elective c/s next time!!

    I guess it will all work out in the end and I will know what's best for me and bubs.... my mind keeps changing... so I thought it would be nice to hear others experince and thoughts!!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Elective or VBAC?
    By Californication in forum elective c-section and positive c-section experiences
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-12-2012, 12:50
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-07-2012, 13:33
  3. Elective C-Section Q'n - How do you know which ob/gyn are willing?
    By Rocky27 in forum elective c-section and positive c-section experiences
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-04-2012, 06:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Billington StreetFor stationery as unique as you are! ♥ Handmade, custom designed stationery for all of life's celebrations WINNER ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...