+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Change in Sleeping Routine After Starting Daycare

I've just gone back to work part time and my 11mth old DS started daycare this week. On Monday's, he stays with my parents and on Tuesday & Wednesdays, he goes to a daycare centre.

I know it's really early days and is quite a significant change in environment & routine from what he's used to but it really seems to have affected his eating, sleeping and need for contact with DH & I (the daycare centre, not my parents place).

I expected this so am not too concerned but was wondering how long this should last and am interested in other working Mums experience here with a similar aged bub.

As an example, last night he just cried and cried and wanted me in there to settle him when I put him to bed but as soon as I left each time, he just got so upset. This isn't like him because he can self settle & normally goes happily to bed.

In the end, I picked him up & held him til he calmed down and he actually went to sleep on my shoulder which he does not usually do, so I think he just really needed some Mummy time before he felt calm enough to go to bed.

He also refused 1 bottle at daycare and solids and only slept in 2 40 minute intervals, not at all like his normal 2 x 2hr naps at home or my parents.

The poor little guy is having trouble adjusting to the change - any tips for me please???

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no advice but will be keeping an eye on this, im returning to work part time in a few weeks so my DD (10 months) will be going to daycare 1 day a week.
    Hopefully he's just adjusting to the change and goes back to his old ways soon. (((hugs)))

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it is just a HUGE change for him.

He went from being with you or your parents to having about 5 or more different people caring for him, he is in a new place with a new routine and bed, new toys and a lot of new faces I'd say he is feeling overwhelmed.

As for the sleeping its a daycare centre it is going to be noisy so that in itself would be alot to get use to.

I'd say it will just take him some time to settle into the new place and get use to everything, it won't be lonh until he bonds with a worker there and I'd say once that happens he will settle, start eating and sleeping more.

I think it is just the change and getting use to you not being there.

Just give him lots of cuddles when he gets home, I am sure he WILL be fine just give him time for it all to sink in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your responses, much appreciated.

An update on last night FYI. Same crying when I put him to bed so I picked him up again & again he calmed down on my shoulder but not as much as previously so I turned him to lay diagonally across my chest with his head in my left arm (the way I used to hold him when he was younger to calm him that now that he's older he normally refuses & fights against..) and without a word of a lie, the moment I changed him to this position, he closed his eyes!!! I couldn't believe it. I held him for a couple of minutes then put him to bed.

The only problems I'm finding since starting daycare are that he now goes to bed later because we let him stay with us for a bit after he gets home from daycare at 6.30pm so instead of going to bed at 7/7.30pm and sleeping til 6am with one wake for a feed in the night (or occasionally sleeping through), now he's in bed at 8.30/9pm (which I know is too late given how little sleep he's had during the day, coupled with the stress from the chane in routine) and he now wakes 3-4hrs after going to bed whereas if he's in bed at 7pm, he'll wake 7-8hrs after he went to bed & sleep til 6.30/7am.

I know it'll iron itself out and I think he's a little sensitive personality anyway so may take longer than other bubs to feel comfortable, but we'll ensure he gets all the cuddles and love he needs with us. At least he's now got 4 days with us solely before he's back in care (& then it's my parents who he loves and sleeps & eats well for).

Having said that, I've just put him to bed now here at home and like normal, he's gone to bed without a sound and hasn't moved from where I put him in the cot - he looks so tired...

Good luck to you and your bubs.